Finn: DS Mix?

Wondering if that new friend you just brought home is a Dutch Shepherd? Post here.
Forum rules
Please read the first post: "Forum Rules and FAQ"
Antiquela
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: I adopted Finn and was told he is. Dutch Shepherd cross. I grew up with GSD and cocker spaniels. Finn is the most intelligent, affectionate, and fast dog I have ever owned. When he runs, he is amazing and beautiful. When he curls up to sleep. He makes you think of a small child

Finn: DS Mix?

Post by Antiquela »

I found Finn at a high kill shelter in Southern CA. I was told he was 8 months old (May, 2019) and had one floppy ear. I was also told he was an owner relinquish. After I brought him home, I could understand. I named him Finn and Finn must have avoided all training s ssions. He thought nothing of turning my home into an agility course and thought nothing of leaping onto the kitchen table.
I’ve had active dogs and active horses and decided we were going to be a match, no little fluffy dogs for me! Please look and let me know what you think Finn is. My vet thought Dutch Shepherd and Great Dane. But he’s 14 months now, weighs about 60 lbs and is leggy, but not gd tallImageImageImageImage
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Finn DS Mix?

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome. I moved your post to its own thread, so you have your own discussion.

Finn is an absolutely gorgeous dog, and thanks for rescuing.

Having said that, the chances of any DS mix is very slim for many reasons.

Mostly, the relative scarcity of the DS breed means that mixes with anything other than other Shepherds and Mals is extremely rare, and that's what would have to have occurred for Finn to have any DS.

Finn looks to me like a Bulldog - Australian Shepherd mix, and that could easily account for the hyperactivity.

The best way to know with some certainty is to take one of the DNA tests. Both Embark and Wisdom screen for Dutch Shepherds, so they are probably your best choices.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Finn: DS Mix?

Post by ladyjubilee »

I was think Am Staff mix. He is a beautiful dog.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Finn: DS Mix?

Post by centrop67 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:59 pm I was think Am Staff mix. He is a beautiful dog.
Definitely a beautiful dog, and you could be right about Am Staff. I just thought the coloring pattern reminded me of a standard bulldog.
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers