Scent discrimination

Discussion of Tracking in the various sports.
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Scent discrimination

Post by TimL_168 »

Brag post :DScool:

After some warm-up play time and obedience the other day, I decided to go back to some scent isolation/discrimination exercises with En. I set each search up to be a relatively easy find for her, but I placed distractions in the search area. These included other common scents/ articles I use. Each run, I would rearrange the search area and let it sit for a few. I'd offer her one scent out of the three I had placed and that we commonly work with. She nailed the search 6 times in a row. She ignored the scents that I hadn't offered and strictly went for the match. I switched the offered scents each run, and she didn't get confused even once. I was surprised. I honestly thought it'd be something we'd need to revisit and brush up on, since I've neglected to use this exercise in almost a year. Pretty happy with her work
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.

Re: Scent discrimination

Post by centrop67 »

Way to go En!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Thanks! I'll tell her later 🙂
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

SEL wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:10 pm That's awesome! Are you thinking about doing an ORT or entering a nose work trial with her?
No, I use her for game recovery. Just do some other exercises when I don't have time or help to lay a trail for her to follow. But scent discrimination is a HUGE part of trailing. She got to be able to pick out the scent of one individual animal and stay on it's track, even when others cross the track.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

That is awesome. We're supposed to work on scent discrimination next, to help with Bramble's search task.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs