Featured Topics
To DS, or not to DS?
What's the buzz on DNA Tests?
A Malaherd?
Submissiveness
This should be read by everyone
How To Select/Research a Breeder
Other brindle breeds

Click Here for the forum Image Facebook page.

Just registered? Read This.

Looking for new crate

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Looking for new crate

Post by TimL_168 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Hey guys! I'm going to get a new crate and in trying to decide between the Gunner and the Impact. Any suggestions? My only concern about the impact is that my GF's new dog is a chewer and already destroyed her wire crate. I'll be working on getting her happy with being created, but I'm still concerned.
Any advice would be awesome!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor

ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Apparently I just adopted a Dutch Shepherd. My experience have been with Dalmatians. The shelter listed her as a 3 year old Dutch Shepherd, which truthfully I didn't even know was a breed. I picked her because she is so sweet and energetic. But looking at the forum, I'm wondering if I might have taken on more than I will be able to handle. I did reach out to s DS rescue and they say she does appear to be a DS. But so far she's a joy and though not trained is catching on quickly.

Re: Looking for new crate

Post by ladyjubilee » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:08 am

We use a soft sided crate which is easy to carry with luggage when we travel......so, don't really have any advice.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs

borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:30 pm

I’ve seen both first hand. If you’re going to be doing any kind of traveling I would go with the gunner as it’s safety rating is unmatched. A safety test on the impacts was done and they’re essentially a glorified wire crate in a crash test. That being said both are really nice as stationary kennels. Impacts plus side of the collapsible model only, is that it can be collapsed and tucked away when not in use. I’d go with gunner tho. And they’re like half the price of an impact.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) (Available Foster), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas

borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Having said all of that I opted for the even cheaper option for inside the house and got a ruff tuff. Roto moldes like the gunners but less bulky and only 200-300 vs 600
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) (Available Foster), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas

TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:35 pm

borellar15 wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:31 pm
Having said all of that I opted for the even cheaper option for inside the house and got a ruff tuff. Roto moldes like the gunners but less bulky and only 200-300 vs 600
I posted the same question on a couple of the working DS FB pages and actually came up with some really good suggestions that I wouldn't have found on my own too easily. Dakota Kennels and KBC kennels look okey good. The Dakota Kennels looks good for travel, similar to the Gunner. The KBC looks like an Impact, but made of what looks to be ½" polyethylene with a solid hinge and latch system!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor