Foot & Ear Protection

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Foot & Ear Protection

Post by ladyjubilee »

Does anyone have any recommendations for foot protection from hot asphalt and concrete or ear protection for sound?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Foot & Ear Protection

Post by Dutchringgirl »

may I ask why they are on hot asphalt? What noises do you need to protect them from?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Since she is being trained for service work, she'll be out and about more than most dogs would be. For instance this weekend, just for basic access training, we just went into a store...but we live in the South and a relatively mild day was already 91 degrees. We decided not to take her to Disneyworld with us this year, but she'll still need to go other amusement parks, or events with us. We went to a baseball game yesterday, and realized even there if she had been with us, her feet would have been on hot pavement.

For sound, being with a teen boy, even one with needs, will mean being in loud environments on occasion.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

For the paws, there are tons of booties out there on the market, I guess you would have to find a set that fits properly. As far as ear protection, I have no idea.. My guess would be to reach out to some SAR groups or other groups that do more service type work. I have never seen anything for sound, but that does not mean anything. Try google too LOL
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol: that is awesome !
ImageImage
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

I use them at the range.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Do how well do they work? Are there any pointers fitting them over big ears?
TimL_168
Working Dog

Post by TimL_168 »

ladyjubilee wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:26 am Do how well do they work? Are there any pointers fitting them over big ears?
They work great. Both my dogs got used to them pretty easily. Fold the ears over into the cups. It's easy.
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Bramble's harness is their Webmaster. I really like the quality and design (I just wish there was more patch room). It also has a cooling addon, that we're going to try. Hopefully that quality is reflected in their Grip Tex too. Please let me know how they work.

I can't get a feel for whether booties are better because they protect the whole foot or if something like Mushers wax is better because of heat exchange because it doesn't cover the sweat glands.