2020..Smarty Pants

Home of the year-round contest to find the Smarty Pants Dutch Shepherd of the year
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

2020..Smarty Pants

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm nominating Bramble. She is just a really smart dog.

Bramble is all about food. We use a puzzle bowl to slow her down when she eats. But she works more for praise.

Last week, my son got a snack. Bramble, of course, followed him to his room. A few minutes later I walked by to see him take a bite, and scoot the plate close to her. I was moving forward to intervene and grab the plate... but she took one piece. He pulled the plate back. Ate a piece, then she had her turn.

Turns out, they are doing this frequently. To the point this morning, they shared a piece of bacon.

Beyond the horror of my kid and dog eating together, these two have accomplished what trained professionals haven't. They are taking turns... something very challenging for kids like my son. And something we've worked for years to teach.

And she doesn't eat his hand when he pulls back the plate, which it's a plus.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Joxgirl
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: Loving every crazy day with my DS in CA and UT.

Re: 2020..Smarty Pants

Post by Joxgirl »

🥰 very Sweet.
Saralee
Rogue (Dutch Shepherd) 2 years old
Joachimstaler @ IG
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: 2020..Smarty Pants

Post by ladyjubilee »

Today while my played outside as I worked on the back porch, I told my son, "I think she would play ball with you. Given me a minute (in the middle of an email) and I will go get one for you." I finished my email in time to see Bramble drop a ball at his feet, ready to play.

Pretty smart to understand "ball", go find a ball, and give it to him and not me. Especially when it wasn't a command but just me talking to him.....she was eavesdropping.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs