Hello from Duke

For our new members to introduce themselves
Falcone57usa
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 am
Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.
Location: Tacoma, WA

Hello from Duke

Post by Falcone57usa »

Hello Names Duke I'm new to this forum and interested in the DS breed hoping to get one this summer (2012) and was wondering if anyone knows of any clubs/orginizations in the Northwest i'm in Tacoma WA. I love everything I have found online about the breed especially on this forum I think 90% of what I have learned has been from just this one site. The breeder I have been talking with is the one that suggested this forum and also mentioned that I try to meet a DS before I get a pup to get a feel for them.

All my previous dogs have been pound pups this will be my first pure breed i'm really excited I have wanted a dog to do agility with for a along time but military service and income have kept me from doing that I'm finally at a place in my life where I can pursue it. I'm strongly considering the suggestion I read on here of asking for the lowest drive pup, Since agility will be a hobby and this is my first true working breed dog. any other words of wisdom for a newb would be much appreciated.
-Duke
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Lauren »

Welcome, Duke! DS do have their own special way about them. This is my first one and I am in love... although at first I was taken back by some of her "normal DS behaviors" and was worried she might be psycho. :lol:

I asked for the lowest drive pup and although I have not yet tried agility with her, she is certainly more active and agile than the dogs I did agility with!

Good luck and have fun!

Lauren and Xena
Lauren from Western NC
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Duke! Glad you're finding the forum helpful...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
CaroleBoaz
Training Dog
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
Contact:

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by CaroleBoaz »

Welcome! DS are awesome dogs. I have Belgians, also, and they are very different!
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Raven »

Hey and welcome. The post that is presently beneath yours (a hello from Pacific NW) is actually an old post from a year ago that a few of us mistook for 2011--but--Kelly is from Tacoma as well and knows a lot of folks not just in in dog sport but for vet care, training, etc. She actually hasn't been on this forum for a while, but I could have her get in touch with you--just let me know. :D
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by vneerland »

Welcome!
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Falcone57usa
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 am
Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Falcone57usa »

thanks you for all the welcomes
Lauren wrote:... although at first I was taken back by some of her "normal DS behaviors" and was worried she might be psycho. :lol:
Lauren what kind of "normal DS behavior" are we talking about?
Raven wrote:The post that is presently beneath yours (a hello from Pacific NW) is actually an old post from a year ago that a few of us mistook for 2011--but--Kelly is from Tacoma as well and knows a lot of folks not just in in dog sport but for vet care, training, etc. She actually hasn't been on this forum for a while, but I could have her get in touch with you--just let me know. :D
Raven that would be awesome that's why I originially put my post under that thread but admin has moved it *shrugs*
-Duke
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Lauren »

"Lauren what kind of "normal DS behavior" are we talking about? "

Well, whenever anyone moved, she would latch on to them HARD. Dragging a puppy around is actually more painful than it sounds. Bruises, blood etc. All of my clothes (even jeans) have holes in them where she would playfully jump up and latch on. I had a hard time telling if she was being playful or aggressive. I have never had a puppy growl and snarl so much about being towel dried.

"No" meant NOTHING to her no matter what voice I used. I could not get her to Stop doing a behavior (for months) but I could teach her to do another incompatible behavior instead. For example, i could not get her to stop attacking the rabbits cage during feeding, but I could get her to do a down stay while I fed. She has to have a job.

For the first few months she was fearful of anyone new and would raise hackles and growl and bark at them (if she has ever met someone she knows them forever). One day she decided that she loved everyone and it has remained that way.

I have never had a 8-9 week old puppy turn around and go for me because I tried to grab it from behind.

If my big male Siamese ambushes her, she is ready to play! But the minute he swats her for real, she turns like a switch and is ready to EAT HIM UP. Things like that. She still scares me around the cats sometimes...

BUT on the up-side, she is the fastest learning, most agile, athletic, FUN and interesting dog I have ever owned. I would do it again (and probably stress a lot less). My husband is already talking about when he gets his own DS and my kids who have always disliked dogs~ like her! :dssmile:
Lauren from Western NC
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :D
Image
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by vneerland »

Falcone57usa wrote:Raven that would be awesome that's why I originially put my post under that thread but admin has moved it *shrugs*
Glad you appreciate that admin it trying to keep things organized as well as trying to make sure that intro's don't get lost.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Jan »

Welcome.
Image
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by wahinelf »

Lauren wrote:"Lauren what kind of "normal DS behavior" are we talking about? "

Well, whenever anyone moved, she would latch on to them HARD. Dragging a puppy around is actually more painful than it sounds. Bruises, blood etc. All of my clothes (even jeans) have holes in them where she would playfully jump up and latch on. I had a hard time telling if she was being playful or aggressive. I have never had a puppy growl and snarl so much about being towel dried.

"No" meant NOTHING to her no matter what voice I used. I could not get her to Stop doing a behavior (for months) but I could teach her to do another incompatible behavior instead.
This sounds like months 5-12 of having mine - keeping in mind that I got her when she was at 5 months. I liked this description though. Also, welcome!
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Hi Duke! Sharon dragged me back over here- I haven't been online DSF in forever.... :( Seems I just don't have time to actually work my brindle beast, AND chat about them. :)

Where in Tacoma are you? I'm in South Tacoma, and active in SchH in the area. I know of a couple local places to check out agility- Ewetopia would be my first suggestion, the folks out there are FANTASTIC, and know and understand the DS breed. (Just ask them about Koenig! ;) )

You're very lucky to be in the area, which is home to the Working Dutch Shepherd Association (http://www.workingdutchshepherd.org/), there are several DS handlers/owners locally.

Feel free to send me a email, turnnburn52984@hotmail.com, if you'd like to get up close and personal with a DS. Koenig loves making new friends, and finding new people that will admire him. ROFL. :)
Kelly
Image
Koenig
Falcone57usa
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 am
Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Falcone57usa »

wow thanks everyone for the posts.

veneerland I have been a Admin before i'm well aware of the headache that it entails.

Lauren thanks for the examples. it made me realize something about the DS mindset which could have turned into a big mistake in training. i'm used to giving a command to make a dog stop a behavior or perform a behavior. Your point that just telling them to stop doesn't work but if you give them an alternate task "give them a job to do" is something I hadn't considered. the rest of it I had pretty much expected from the research I have done and it actually makes sense to me. it's a working breed and being military myself I definately understand the mindset work hard play harder. you can't breed for a hard working dog and not have a bit of the aggression become apart of there temperment even in play. the same is true for soldiers the more I discover about DS's the more excited I get about how much of a perfect fit I think one would be in my life.
-Duke
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by vneerland »

Falcone57usa wrote:veneerland I have been a Admin before i'm well aware of the headache that it entails.
Oh, good! :D I am glad to hear that you totally understood admins motivation then. 8-)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by leih merigian »

Falcone57usa wrote:
... it made me realize something about the DS mindset which could have turned into a big mistake in training. i'm used to giving a command to make a dog stop a behavior or perform a behavior. Your point that just telling them to stop doesn't work but if you give them an alternate task "give them a job to do" is something I hadn't considered.
Perhaps this is your military mind/training speaking here, but this is pretty common now in dog training circles, and it doesn't just apply to Dutch Shepherds. Asking for an incompatable behavior (one that is incompatable with whatever they intended or wanted to do) is SOP :mrgreen: . It's good that you're getting your brain wrapped around that idea before you actually get your puppy; it'll make life that much easier.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Raven »

I adore incompatible behaviors as an exclamation point (when they find it just a little too hard to do the right thing when you are CERTAIN they know what is expected), but for incompatible behavior to be ultimately successful (and fair), an animal must also have a solid knowledge of that (incompatible) behavior first, lest confusion in the animal's mind wil reign...and/or could become a default (conditioned) behavior without meaning.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Raven »

P.S.: Point I lacked to make is there's a difference between offering a distraction and asking for an imcompatible behavior, depending upon what you're training, the point of training, the age of the dog, etc. Incompatible behavior is a tool of training, not a fundemental of it.
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Falcone57usa
Just Whelped
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 am
Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Hello from Duke

Post by Falcone57usa »

hmm I guess I still have a bit of a learning curve. I have limited formal dog training most of mine is self taught general animal training from growing up on a ranch. I also have not had a dog for 6 years now so I don't know all the current terminology and will be rusty.

I'm a little confused raven which behavior are you concerned would become default (conditioned) the one that you are attempting to prevent or the alternate you present to curb the first?

I'm well aware that theses are all tools there is not one :priest: magic fix all technique for training anything. but out of curiosity i'm wondering what you would consider a fundamental?
-Duke
Post Reply