Greetings from Poland :)
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Great frisbee routine....please share how you taught the backing up between the legs. It is sooo cool!
Sue (and Sugar)

- Rauni
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 16
- Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm from Poland, I have four dogs: 9,5 y.o. cocker spaniel Sunday, two Pyrenean Shepherds Vigo (7 y.o.) and Brava (almost 3 y.o.) and Dutch Shepherd Eri (3,5 y.o.). We do agility, some frisbee and lots of tricks :).
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
I'm not sure if I'm able to explain it in English, but I'll try
.
First you need to teach your dog to back up as such. This is relatively simple trick, if you're using the clicker you may but the dog between two things (like a sofa and table for instance or a wall and something else) and just wait until the dog offers the behaviour (because the dog is standing between something and cannot move much sideways, sooner of later he/she would move hind feet backwards) and then shape it to get more and more steps.
It's also useful to teach the dog to circle with hind legs around an object while keeping front feet on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMETBuXkLn4
When you have this trick you can use it to teach the to get into heel position on your left and your right, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97a2JT_6 ... page#t=30s
And then you sort of combine the two.
Ask the dog to heel, put your other feet back, so that when the dog backs up he would have to go under your legs and tell the dog to back up. At first you need to stand in a bit uncomfortable position to make it easier for the dog to get under your legs and then you gradually move your other feet forward so that the dog needs to turn its butt to get under your legs.
Here is my cocker showing some intermediate step of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZ3VT-J ... page#t=28s
I also found a video of some other girl teaching it in a slightly different way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz773pG ... re=related
Have fun training!
First you need to teach your dog to back up as such. This is relatively simple trick, if you're using the clicker you may but the dog between two things (like a sofa and table for instance or a wall and something else) and just wait until the dog offers the behaviour (because the dog is standing between something and cannot move much sideways, sooner of later he/she would move hind feet backwards) and then shape it to get more and more steps.
It's also useful to teach the dog to circle with hind legs around an object while keeping front feet on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMETBuXkLn4
When you have this trick you can use it to teach the to get into heel position on your left and your right, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97a2JT_6 ... page#t=30s
And then you sort of combine the two.
Ask the dog to heel, put your other feet back, so that when the dog backs up he would have to go under your legs and tell the dog to back up. At first you need to stand in a bit uncomfortable position to make it easier for the dog to get under your legs and then you gradually move your other feet forward so that the dog needs to turn its butt to get under your legs.
Here is my cocker showing some intermediate step of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxZ3VT-J ... page#t=28s
I also found a video of some other girl teaching it in a slightly different way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cz773pG ... re=related
Have fun training!

For news, photos and videos VISIT OUR BLOG :D
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
I like those 
The only thing I would be careful about with the first one is that you could easily end up teaching the dog a forged heeling position since the front of the dog is always in front of your legs during these exercises. But this would be awesome for teaching pivots into a proper heel.
The only thing I would be careful about with the first one is that you could easily end up teaching the dog a forged heeling position since the front of the dog is always in front of your legs during these exercises. But this would be awesome for teaching pivots into a proper heel.
Choochi
- Jan
- Training Dog
- Posts: 405
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
- Location: Zoutkamp, NL
- Kamcia
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Kamila and I'm from Poland. My dog name is Avis.
- Location: Poland
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Yep, I know about Polish litter, I'm in touch with Beata via e-mail because I made her a webpage for ItskeRauni wrote:
Hi Kamila, of course I remember youDo you know there is a litter of DS planned in Poland for spring 2012
and another one after Eri's sister in Czech Republic
.
Love all those videos!
Kamila - a proud Dutchie owner ;)
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
They will not be high drive, medium drive at the mostKamcia wrote: I don't think bringing a high drive puppy into home with 14 year old dog would be good (for him), especially when I'm planning a male, and my current dog is a male as well![]()
But maybe it's better to wait untill you are ready for a pup
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
I think you might need to elaborate on your remark Marjolein?
She (Marjolein) has a 's Gravenschans dog (Dingo) and what Marjolein probably means is that this very good looking pure FCI line is less off the wall than many of the KNPV line dogs (that many American owners have)
In this case, though, I am assuming that the future pup will be Itske's. Because I assure you that I cannot read a word of Polish.
She (Marjolein) has a 's Gravenschans dog (Dingo) and what Marjolein probably means is that this very good looking pure FCI line is less off the wall than many of the KNPV line dogs (that many American owners have)
In this case, though, I am assuming that the future pup will be Itske's. Because I assure you that I cannot read a word of Polish.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
try the website again and read the future daddy's name, I happen to know him pretty wellvneerland wrote:I think you might need to elaborate on your remark Marjolein?
In this case, though, I am assuming that the future pup will be Itske's.
- k9katet
- Training Dog
- Posts: 443
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: We current own 1 Dutch Shepherd - ThunderHawk's Child of Lilith "Mazikeen"
And we have loved and lost 3 - Vrijheid's Amie "Vada", Vrijheid's Hafwen "Letty" and Sather's High On Life "Narcotic".
We train/compete in mondioring and agility. - Location: Minnesota
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Welcome! I think I followed your blog years ago when you first got Eri.
Heather Sather & Mazikeen
http://www.k9katet.com
http://www.k9katet.com
- Kamcia
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:04 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Kamila and I'm from Poland. My dog name is Avis.
- Location: Poland
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Depends of what is "hight drive" for you and what for meMarjolein wrote:
They will not be high drive, medium drive at the most![]()
But maybe it's better to wait untill you are ready for a pup
Kamila - a proud Dutchie owner ;)
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
That is true, and any dog deserves an owner who is as ready for it as possibleKamcia wrote: Depends of what is "hight drive" for you and what for meMy current dog is a small/medium mixie, pretty old now, so a puppy of pastoral/working breed will be much more active than he is/was for sure even if it wont be from working lines
So yeah, I need to be ready for that kind of dog
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Marjolein wrote:try the website again and read the future daddy's name, I happen to know him pretty well
It looks like YOUR Dingo will the the sire of these pups.
http://www.itske.com/index.php?co=szczenieta
Ah-hah, then yes, I assume that you may know what to expect out of this breeding.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- icvanstra
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1153
- Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
- Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Great photo's.
I see a future winner of many monthly contests!
I see a future winner of many monthly contests!
Eric
- - Cino vom Foxtal
- Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
- Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
-
axisscar
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:22 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have got kennel hollandse heerdershond korthaar "aus Mährischen Bergen"
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
hallo, I wanted DS (HHK) Abbye Hannah aus Mährischen Bergen. Help me, please.
Thenks, Alena kennel "aus Mährischen Bergen"
Thenks, Alena kennel "aus Mährischen Bergen"
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Greetings from Poland :)
Axisscar. Would you mind posting your intro to your own 'new subject' under this new member announcements section?
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 


Facebook page.
