Kelly replied. Hope you connected.
I was referring to the incompatible behavior becoming the default, that not necessarily being the response that is the goal. For example, let's say, Duke, that your favorite bedroom slippers are overstuffed pink bunnies with floppy ears (I know you own a pair!) but the dog goes after them/your feet whenever you wear them, so you give them an incompatible behavior (go to your place, down, whatever) because they aren't connecting the dots or can't resist. It can happen that whenever you wear the slippers, they perform the incompatible behavior...not really what you want since I suspect that you wear those bunny slippers an awful lot. You want to be able to wear the slippers and have the dog leave them and you alone without the dog being exiled all day to their place or in a down, whatever.
Time to go to work. Enjoy the day!
Hello from Duke
-
Raven
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1608
- Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
- Tell us about yourself: .
Re: Hello from Duke
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
- turnnburn52984
- Training Dog
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
- Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA
Want to know anything else, just ask! - Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Hello from Duke
What do I consider a fundamental behavior/cue? COME is my most important command. A reliable recall is my favorite thing- both to train, and to watch!
(hey Jenny- you reading this? Does a reliable formal recall HAVE to include a body slam? I think I've recently trained that one in....
Kelly

Koenig

Koenig
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from Duke
Regardless of what Mama said about keeping your knees together--------sometimes you just have to spread your legs!turnnburn52984 wrote:![]()
(hey Jenny- you reading this? Does a reliable formal recall HAVE to include a body slam? I think I've recently trained that one in....I blame Force)
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- turnnburn52984
- Training Dog
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
- Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA
Want to know anything else, just ask! - Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Hello from Duke
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a good one!
That was a good one!
Kelly

Koenig

Koenig
- Flying Dutchman
- Puppy
- Posts: 39
- Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:31 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I have five dogs: Alex, a chow mix who is now about 14, and four Dutch shepherds (all rescued DS): Ku (Hawaiian God of War), Kane (sounds like "Kahnay"; Hawaiian God of the Sun), Kanaloa (Hawaiian God of the Sea) and Kapua (Hawaiian gods of mischief - the Mischief Makers). Alex is our cheerleader and keeps the 4 DS in line. Three of the DS currently compete in DockDogs and we are trying to convince Lo that water is not evil. Our team name is Hawaiian by Heart which comes from the old joke by my husband that he is "Dutch by blood, Hawaiian by Heart." Our main goal is to promote having fun with your dog (and by doing so becoming partners) and supporting the rescue of the wonderful animals out there in need of homes.
We lost our big lady, Kelley, in May 2012 to cancer and she joins several other angel dogs who are now watching over us. - Location: Denver, Colorado
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Duke
Welcome!
I agree, a reliable recall is essential and I consider "Off" to go along with that ("Off" in the terms of leaving something alone/stop what you are doing RIGHT NOW). "Out" is key as well so you can teach them to give back toys or release their grip from your arm/leg/hand, etc.
Control with these dogs is key and I tell people all the time it's a full time job. Sounds like you've done your homework but just be ready to be constantly busy! And every dog is an individual and you will have to find what works best for you and your dog as a team. And make sure you give them a job like agility, etc. A tired Dutch is a good Dutch.
I agree, a reliable recall is essential and I consider "Off" to go along with that ("Off" in the terms of leaving something alone/stop what you are doing RIGHT NOW). "Out" is key as well so you can teach them to give back toys or release their grip from your arm/leg/hand, etc.
Heather
Denver, Colorado
The Dutch Army: Ku, Kane ("Kahnay"), Kanaloa and Kapua
Their General: Alex
Angels: Kelley, Gryphon, & Casey
http://www.rockymountaindockdogs.com
Be Your Dog's Hero. Support http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/
Denver, Colorado
The Dutch Army: Ku, Kane ("Kahnay"), Kanaloa and Kapua
Their General: Alex
Angels: Kelley, Gryphon, & Casey
http://www.rockymountaindockdogs.com
Be Your Dog's Hero. Support http://www.chaseawayk9cancer.org
http://dutchshepherdrescue.org/
-
Falcone57usa
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.
- Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Hello from Duke
I actually got to see koenig today at the park thanks again Raven for interducing me it was a lot of fun and very impressive to watch. Kelly is going to hook me up with the local shutz group she runs koenig in and i'm strongly considering doing that with my dog when I get him/her.
I agree a strong come command is a very fundamental thing. I was impressed to see koe going full bore after his ball come to a screeching halt and come about to return to kelly when the command was given. it's a level of obedience I have not been able to achieve in my previous dogs but have always dreamed about.
you guys have gotten me really pumped up about this
I agree a strong come command is a very fundamental thing. I was impressed to see koe going full bore after his ball come to a screeching halt and come about to return to kelly when the command was given. it's a level of obedience I have not been able to achieve in my previous dogs but have always dreamed about.
you guys have gotten me really pumped up about this
-Duke
- turnnburn52984
- Training Dog
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
- Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA
Want to know anything else, just ask! - Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Hello from Duke
Falcone57usa wrote: I agree a strong come command is a very fundamental thing. I was impressed to see koe going full bore after his ball come to a screeching halt and come about to return to kelly when the command was given.
Funny, how I have a great recall, but the damn dog won't down on a send out..... ROFL. (he just sat down, and turned and looked at me)
Sorry Koenig was not his usual friendly, flirty self- he was a bit preoccupied with the ball, as you saw.
I'll see if I can drag some of my club together before January to do some group OB, and I'll let you know if we can work something out. You're always welcome to come watch- just be ready for a whole lot of GSD's! Koenig's the only 'cool' dog there.
Kelly

Koenig

Koenig
-
Falcone57usa
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 8
- Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Just picked up my DS Virjied Loki having a lot of fun with him.
- Location: Tacoma, WA
Re: Hello from Duke
ROFLMAO he is the only cool dog for now. but the plan to slowly take over the world is in place in the near future there will be two "cool" dogs
The down was pretty funny the look was a total "but mom!" lol
i'm fine with GSD's I have do admit I wanted one when I was younger that is until I discovered the true working dog breed
I am very excited to meet the club
The down was pretty funny the look was a total "but mom!" lol
i'm fine with GSD's I have do admit I wanted one when I was younger that is until I discovered the true working dog breed
I am very excited to meet the club-Duke


Facebook page.