Hello from Yellowknife
- Diesel
- Green Dog
- Posts: 160
- Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
- Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Hello from Yellowknife
Hello, I just discovered this forum. I live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories Canada. I have two dogs, one is a 4 1/2 year old Dutch Shepherd (Diesel) and the other is a 1 year old Husky Lab cross (Halo). I have been told by our local vet that Diesel is the only Dutch Shepherd in all of the Northwest Territories and area of 1,140,835 km2 (440,000 sq mi)!
Diesel gets lots of exercise every day but recently he has started looking up and chasing nothing. I think he needs to get more mental stimulation to stop this behaviour. I am going to start agility with him this summer and I would also like to start training him to track. It's amazing how smart these dogs are and they need a lot more than just exercise.
Looking forward to getting to know other DS owners.
Diesel gets lots of exercise every day but recently he has started looking up and chasing nothing. I think he needs to get more mental stimulation to stop this behaviour. I am going to start agility with him this summer and I would also like to start training him to track. It's amazing how smart these dogs are and they need a lot more than just exercise.
Looking forward to getting to know other DS owners.
- Attachments
-
- Here are my two dogs Halo (Female) and Diesel (Male)
- doog.jpg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Welcome! Nice looking dogs. Agility is a great activity for dogs. When you said he is looking up and chasing nothing, immediately I thought about laser pointers. You don't mess with any of those, do you? They cause OCD problems with dogs and they start chasing nothing.
- Diesel
- Green Dog
- Posts: 160
- Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
- Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Here's a few more pics...more to come!
- Attachments
-
- 379.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
-
- Diesel2.jpg (175.46 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
-
- He loves the water!
- Diesel1.jpg (62.28 KiB) Viewed 2612 times
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
- Diesel
- Green Dog
- Posts: 160
- Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:11 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Ashlee. I have a Dutch Shepherd who will be 5 this summer. We live in Northwest Territories Canada. Diesel is a typical Dutch Shepherd, very high intelligence and extremely high energy.
- Location: Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
We don't play with laser pointers. One of my roommates had before and I put a stop to it right away. I could see the obsession in his behaviour and although it was entertaining for a moment, I know it wasn't a healthy behaviour.
Ashlee, Diesel and Halo
-
Lauren
- Training Dog
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Welcome! What a handsom pair!!! I bet you get some looks out walking them.
I was thinking of reflections/ shadows and lights too. i have a friend who's dog was introduced to the laser light (by a step son) and has been a crazy neurotic mess ever since.
I was thinking of reflections/ shadows and lights too. i have a friend who's dog was introduced to the laser light (by a step son) and has been a crazy neurotic mess ever since.
Lauren from Western NC
-
CaroleBoaz
- Training Dog
- Posts: 592
- Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am currently the Secretary and Treasurer of the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America. We are the national breed club for Dutch Shepherds, and have the support of the Nederlandse Herdershonden Club in our endeavours to record the Dutch Shepherd breed in the United States and Canada through the American Kennel Club. dscna.com Join us on Facebook.
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Great water picture!
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Welcome, glad you found us!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Yellowknife
Welcome!
Diesel and Halo are just gorgeous together!
You are so right about them needing the mental stimulation as well as the physical. My girl needs both, daily, or she gets kind of nusto.
Until you can start on agility (summer is a ways off yet), why not try doing stuff you can do at home...teach him some tricks, stuff like that. If you've taught him to "find it" and search for toys inside, do that, increase the difficulty (hide the toy under rugs, up high, etc.) from what ever level he's at now. Reward with tug or treats...vary the reward so it's a surprise. 5 or 10 minutes of a good searching game will do wonders.
Love the water pic!
Diesel and Halo are just gorgeous together!
You are so right about them needing the mental stimulation as well as the physical. My girl needs both, daily, or she gets kind of nusto.
Until you can start on agility (summer is a ways off yet), why not try doing stuff you can do at home...teach him some tricks, stuff like that. If you've taught him to "find it" and search for toys inside, do that, increase the difficulty (hide the toy under rugs, up high, etc.) from what ever level he's at now. Reward with tug or treats...vary the reward so it's a surprise. 5 or 10 minutes of a good searching game will do wonders.
Love the water pic!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:


Facebook page.