Tassie dogs
-
Tassiedog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in Tasmania, Australia and got my beautiful dog Amber from Gumtree in Melborne, Victoria as a friend for Snowy my Smithfield X. It is a long story but I think Amber is a Dutch Shepherd but I am not sure of course and I guess will never know her parentage. But after a suggestion that she could be a Belgian Malinois I came across the DS......she is black and brindal. She is only 4 months old and I will post some pics soon. I guess time will tell but in the meanwhile I am learning what I can about DS. Amber is going to puppy school and I want to continue training with both my dogs as working breeds they are a handful but I love them hugely and want them to be great dogs. Amber is my shadow and adores Snow but she can already be very agressive to other dogs she does not know. Anyway I would love to find out what others think if she is a DS and even if she is a weird cross I still am learning a lot from your discussions. Mel
Tassie dogs
Hi I am from Tas in Australia and recently got the lovely Amber from Gumtree. Long story but I am wondering if she migh be a DS and I figure that u folk can help me. Amber and Snow are aleady great friends which was the whole point but I would like to know as much about her breed as possible so I can give her what she needs. I have attached a couple of pictures...not the best but I am just bonding with my new IPad ! Any thoughts most welcome.
Mel, Snowy and Amber
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania, Australia
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Tassie dogs
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you for posting an intro about yourself!! If you don't mind, could you please add your name to your signature line
We love hearing about and seeing the dogs, but its easiest when we know who we are talking to.
There are some very specific details in the FAQ section of the forum about posting pictures. You may find it easier to upload them to a photo sharing site first - like photo bucket. Then you can just put the direct image link in the brackets that appear when you hit the icon "Img" that appears above the typing box when you post a message.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Thank you for posting an intro about yourself!! If you don't mind, could you please add your name to your signature line
There are some very specific details in the FAQ section of the forum about posting pictures. You may find it easier to upload them to a photo sharing site first - like photo bucket. Then you can just put the direct image link in the brackets that appear when you hit the icon "Img" that appears above the typing box when you post a message.
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
Tassiedog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in Tasmania, Australia and got my beautiful dog Amber from Gumtree in Melborne, Victoria as a friend for Snowy my Smithfield X. It is a long story but I think Amber is a Dutch Shepherd but I am not sure of course and I guess will never know her parentage. But after a suggestion that she could be a Belgian Malinois I came across the DS......she is black and brindal. She is only 4 months old and I will post some pics soon. I guess time will tell but in the meanwhile I am learning what I can about DS. Amber is going to puppy school and I want to continue training with both my dogs as working breeds they are a handful but I love them hugely and want them to be great dogs. Amber is my shadow and adores Snow but she can already be very agressive to other dogs she does not know. Anyway I would love to find out what others think if she is a DS and even if she is a weird cross I still am learning a lot from your discussions. Mel
Re: Tassie dogs
Thanks Christie. I have lost on how to attach the photos but I will have a go at your suggestion tonight. Looking forward to getting the hang of it all! Cheers Mel
Mel, Snowy and Amber
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania, Australia
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Tassie dogs
Welcome Mel!!
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- Jan
- Training Dog
- Posts: 405
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
- Location: Zoutkamp, NL
- kchristy
- Training Dog
- Posts: 539
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:07 pm
- Tell us about yourself: My name is Katrina, I have 1 dutch shepherd name Merlin. He is a handful and keeps things in our house very interesting and fun :)
- Location: McCurtain, Ok
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Tassie dogs
Welcome !
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- wahinelf
- Green Dog
- Posts: 246
- Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
- Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
- Location: Boston, MA
- Contact:
-
Tassiedog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in Tasmania, Australia and got my beautiful dog Amber from Gumtree in Melborne, Victoria as a friend for Snowy my Smithfield X. It is a long story but I think Amber is a Dutch Shepherd but I am not sure of course and I guess will never know her parentage. But after a suggestion that she could be a Belgian Malinois I came across the DS......she is black and brindal. She is only 4 months old and I will post some pics soon. I guess time will tell but in the meanwhile I am learning what I can about DS. Amber is going to puppy school and I want to continue training with both my dogs as working breeds they are a handful but I love them hugely and want them to be great dogs. Amber is my shadow and adores Snow but she can already be very agressive to other dogs she does not know. Anyway I would love to find out what others think if she is a DS and even if she is a weird cross I still am learning a lot from your discussions. Mel
Re: Tassie dogs
Mel, Snowy and Amber
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania, Australia
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Tassie dogs
It worked fine, and she's a pretty girl! I would say German Shepherd, DS, or Pit mix. I see lots of GSD in there.
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
-
Tassiedog
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:55 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in Tasmania, Australia and got my beautiful dog Amber from Gumtree in Melborne, Victoria as a friend for Snowy my Smithfield X. It is a long story but I think Amber is a Dutch Shepherd but I am not sure of course and I guess will never know her parentage. But after a suggestion that she could be a Belgian Malinois I came across the DS......she is black and brindal. She is only 4 months old and I will post some pics soon. I guess time will tell but in the meanwhile I am learning what I can about DS. Amber is going to puppy school and I want to continue training with both my dogs as working breeds they are a handful but I love them hugely and want them to be great dogs. Amber is my shadow and adores Snow but she can already be very agressive to other dogs she does not know. Anyway I would love to find out what others think if she is a DS and even if she is a weird cross I still am learning a lot from your discussions. Mel
Re: Tassie dogs
They are both the most loveliest dogs. Amber is only just 5 months and catching up with Snowy size wise already. People always ask me what kind of dogs she is and when I say I think a Dutch Shepherd or maybe some kind of cross they look at me like I am making it up (which I guess I am cause I will never know for sure). But that is because basically no one has heard of a DS in Tas! I can only find a couple of breeders in Aus and they seem to really be for police / security dogs not really pets. Now I can post photos I will email one of the Aus breeders and see what they think. I just hope she was not stolen and they want her back!!!!! I will take more pics today as it is SATURDAY hip hip hooray 
Mel, Snowy and Amber
Tasmania, Australia
Tasmania, Australia


Facebook page.

