Hi there, from Ontario :)

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
ChristineJ
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: We adopted our beautiful Maverick in September 2011. We have been told he could be so many different shepherd crosses but after googling Dutch Shepherds, reading descriptions and looking at pics, we're pretty sure he's a full Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Ontario, Canada

Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by ChristineJ »

Hi all. Just thought I'd say a quick hello. My husband and I adopted our pup in September from the Humane Society. People have told us he's a shepherd crossed with a great dane and many other things. After googling quite a bit, I'm pretty sure he's a Dutch Shepherd. He is a wonderful dog, full of energy and very protective of me especially.

Here's our beautiful boy Maverick :)

Image

Image
Christine, Chris and Maverick.
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by Christie M »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

He certainly looks Dutch to me. Thank you for rescuing and saving a life! We would love to hear all about your guy's adventures! I love that second picture.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by vneerland »

Welcome!
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by alspyce »

:wave: Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome!
Maverick is beautiful. :wtg:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
ChristineJ
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: We adopted our beautiful Maverick in September 2011. We have been told he could be so many different shepherd crosses but after googling Dutch Shepherds, reading descriptions and looking at pics, we're pretty sure he's a full Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by ChristineJ »

Thanks guys and gals. We decided on adopting a dog when my husband started with his military training and was going to be away for almost 6 months (he comes back today). The first time we went to the humane society we met with a small shepherd cross that was a little too hyper but very sweet. Maverick was in the holding area that we couldn't go into because he was a new rescue. All we saw was his right ear and eye, he was watching us very closely. The next day I went to the website and saw him on there as up for adoption, so we went straight over and met him. We took him for a nice walk and spent some time with him, we knew he was our dog pretty much right away. He was already partly trained and learned his new name very quickly. He was pretty timid at first and still is a little shy of loud noises but he's getting better and better every day. He has separation anxiety, so I feel bad when I have to leave him to go to work but he's always very happy to see me home. He's a pretty awesome dog :) We have a baby on the way and we've had Maverick around other babies and kids and he is just perfect with them, so we know he'll be good with our new addition in June. I posted a couple more pics in the pic forum for everyone to see. Thanks again for the welcomes.

Oh and that second pic is of his headless duck, he seemed to think it made a better toy without the head, haha.
Christine, Chris and Maverick.
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome!

Looks like a DS to me, lucky you!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by Choochi »

Welcome! :)
Choochi
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by Schlussdibusti »

ChristineJ wrote:Oh and that second pic is of his headless duck, he seemed to think it made a better toy without the head, haha.
Marco totally agrees, duck without head = better toy :mrgreen:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
lincoln_16
Just Whelped
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 am
Tell us about yourself: I currently own a Belgian Malinois and eventually will be owning a Dutch Shepherd as well
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by lincoln_16 »

Where abouts in Ontario are you if you dont mind me asking? I am in Niagara Falls and that kinda looks like a dog the spca here had for adoption. I emailed them to let them know they had a dutch shepherd on their hands, not a GSD mixed with Dane and they blew me off...they did this to me again when they had a Malinois listed as a Shepherd lab mix... I was pretty interested in him myself if its even the same dog
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by felixone123 »

welcome!! He is a beautiful boy!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
lincoln_16
Just Whelped
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 am
Tell us about yourself: I currently own a Belgian Malinois and eventually will be owning a Dutch Shepherd as well
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by lincoln_16 »

I must of accidentally erased my welcome part :S

Welcome to the forum :)
ChristineJ
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:52 pm
Tell us about yourself: We adopted our beautiful Maverick in September 2011. We have been told he could be so many different shepherd crosses but after googling Dutch Shepherds, reading descriptions and looking at pics, we're pretty sure he's a full Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by ChristineJ »

lincoln_16 wrote:Where abouts in Ontario are you if you dont mind me asking? I am in Niagara Falls and that kinda looks like a dog the spca here had for adoption. I emailed them to let them know they had a dutch shepherd on their hands, not a GSD mixed with Dane and they blew me off...they did this to me again when they had a Malinois listed as a Shepherd lab mix... I was pretty interested in him myself if its even the same dog
I'm in Kitchener. I hear that the spca and humane society always just says dogs are mixed and then many times they actually happen to be a full breed of some sort. Sure would have been a small world if you were in the same area looking at the same dog.

Thanks for all the welcomes folks :)
Christine, Chris and Maverick.
lincoln_16
Just Whelped
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:58 am
Tell us about yourself: I currently own a Belgian Malinois and eventually will be owning a Dutch Shepherd as well
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by lincoln_16 »

Here the spca charges almost double for dogs who are "purebred", I dont really agree with it but thats what they do.

Your not far from me tho :)
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome Christine and Maverick! Nice looking boy you have there.

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hi there, from Ontario :)

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome! Handsome Maverick 8-)
Image
Post Reply