Hiya from TX

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
JustMe
Just Whelped
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Mac is our newest canine family member. We adopted him from the pound around June 2010 with all paperwork saying he was and ‘Australian Shepherd Mix.’ Upon walking into obedience training the trainer giggled and said, “that isn’t Australian anything you’ve got there.” The next class she talked to us about the Dutch Shepherd and their potential and dedication. And….here we are.
Location: H-town, TX
Contact:

Hiya from TX

Post by JustMe »

Hello! Where to begin? We adopted an 'Australian Shepherd Mix' from the pound about 2 years ago. We had never seen a brindle Aussie, but ok. They're the experts right? hehe. He was so calm when we brought him home, it scared me. First vet visit = Kennel Cough, full blown Distemper, ear mites, and so much more. The vet said the Distemper treatment would be costly and many do not survive. We went for it and now have a wonderful family member who has a slight neurological tick that causes him to fall after serious play or running and horrible teeth. But my oh my do we love him.

We enrolled him in basic obedience (the most we have ever done w/our dogs) and the trainer laughed upon our arrival at the first class. She said, "That isn't Australian anything you've got there. I think I saw one of those at a show a few months back though." Two classes later she brought us info on the DS and WOW does he fit the description. We have no background so have no idea if this is what he really is.... but it felt good to have a better starting place. The more we search the more we believe this is at least part of what Mac is.

And.....here we are.
Last edited by JustMe on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shannon. Momma to two bipeds and 5 furry friends. Mac is our 2yr old DS (we think). We got him from the pound labeled as an 'Australian Shepherd Mix.'
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by alspyce »

Welcome
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome! Glad he is doing well.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by vneerland »

Welcome! Thanks for the intro, Shannon.
Heard about distemper at a local shelter not too long ago, but you have had your dog for 2 years, so I guess it happens more than we like? Glad you saved him. Now...how about some pictures? ;)
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by leih merigian »

Glad you joined us...eager for the pics!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)
Image
Lauren
Training Dog
Posts: 540
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by Lauren »

Welcome! What a lucky dog. I can't wait to see his pictures!
:cool:
Lauren from Western NC
Drizlaru
Green Dog
Posts: 148
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:28 am
Tell us about yourself: Motivated sport dog trainer.

Re: Hiya from TX

Post by Drizlaru »

Welcome!
Disclaimer: This post is not intended to send anyone to grief counseling, or a mental trauma hospital. The information in this post is intended for "informational purposes only", and is a product of my own opinion.
Ben MacDonald
Post Reply