Hello from Chicago

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
esanders09
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 am
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I adopted a shepherd mix from Chicago Animal Care & Control a couple of years ago. It has since become apparent to us that she's at least part Dutch Shepherd.

Hello from Chicago

Post by esanders09 »

My husband and I adopted a "shepherd mix" from Chicago Animal Control a couple of years ago. We assumed by default that she was mostly German Shepherd until someone stopped us walking down the street to ask if she was 100% Dutch Shepherd. Except for the white chest and white toes and slightly floppy ears, she certainly fits the description of a Dutch. Pepper just hit 80 lbs - seems a bit large for the breed but I'm going off of Wikipedia...

Anyway, I was pleased to discover this forum and am especially interested in training tips given we live in the city with such a high energy dog.

Elizabeth
Attachments
Pepper4.JPG
Pepper4.JPG (389.24 KiB) Viewed 5503 times
Elizabeth and Pepper
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome to the forum! Pepper is very nice looking and very Dutch looking to me!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by LyonsFamily »

Yay! another from Chicago. What part of the city are you in? We're in the South Loop.

The white chest and toes are normal in a Dutch. While they're not desired in a perfect conformation dog, they can have white on the chests and toes. Other than his ears (but they sure are cute) he looks like a Dutch.

Have you checked out the off leash dog areas in Dupage County? They have acres of land which is perfect for high energy dogs. It's a bit expensive for non residents, so we don't go that often, but it's worth checking out.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by alspyce »

Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by felixone123 »

Welcome!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
lisaanne
Puppy
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:37 pm
Tell us about yourself: 40 something mom of 3 sons, 2 living....mother of one beagle girl, Puddles age 9 and our yet to be determined "shepherd" type girl Beta, age 2. Beta was rescued from an area no-kill shelter and was assumed to be a GSD/Greyhound mix, perhaps? I sure cannot find anything greyhound about the girl, sought out Brindle Shepherds and came across the DS, and began to wonder.....she is the absolute best dog anyone could want.
Location: kenosha

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by lisaanne »

We are in what some call the "Chicago-land area"....Kenosha Wi in the furthest southeast corner of Wisconsin. Your dog looks a lot like ours, whom we rescued from a shelter last summer....will post when able.
Lisa from Kenosha Wisconsin.....
half-way between Chicago and Milwaukee on the heart of Lake Michigan

Mom to Puddles (9 y/o f beagle) and Beta (2 y/o f DS or other shepherd mix?)
esanders09
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 am
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I adopted a shepherd mix from Chicago Animal Care & Control a couple of years ago. It has since become apparent to us that she's at least part Dutch Shepherd.

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by esanders09 »

Thanks for all the welcomes!

LyonsFamily - We're in Wicker Park. Great tip with the off leash areas - we'll definitely check those out. Do you have any trainer recommendations in the area? I'm looking for help with walking her - my husband's strong enough to correct her when she's on the leash but I am not. Had a few embarrassing encounters when she decides she wants to run after another dog!
Elizabeth and Pepper
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by LyonsFamily »

My best suggestion is Karin Chan, the owner of A Pawsitive Influence. She's a dog walker and trainer. I met her when I was working for a groomer down here a few years ago and still use her for advice/competition practice. She helped me find my DS from a local rescue. She has a Belgian Malinois so is used to a high prey breed, she also has a rescued Pittie and Chihuahua.

She works with a lot of rescues, so has a ton of experience with leash reactivity. She does private lessons mainly and can come right to you. She's also starting lessons down at Pawsitively Heaven in Chicago Ridge. Here's her contact. If you do decide to call her, let her know I (Stephanie Lyons) sent you and that you have a DS/DS mix, that will help her with advice. Phone: (708) 369-6383, pawsitveinfluence@gmail.com

Jennifer and Aliya, the trainers at Dynamic Dogs in Bucktown are great too. They deal with a lot of aggressive dogs, but can work on individual obedience work as well. They do everything including board and trains if you want that option. My dog was in foster care at their facility before we adopted him, he went through their board and train bootcamp and is a very good dog now. www.dynamicdogschicago.com Jennifer might be on this board sometime, she's posted once or twice here.

Both trainers (and most good ones around the city) offer free evaluations. Contact both of them if you're looking for someone, take the free evaluations, and see if you like their methods and styles. I personally think Karin would be better in your situation, but I've seen clients come from both with great turn-arounds.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Christie M »

Hello and welcome to the group!!

Can you please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel and Create a signature including your name, it will help us keep everyone straight. :D

There is an awesome trainer in Des Plaines, IL who would be well worth the travel. She is an excellent obedience and agility trainer, and she has helped Dutch Shepherd rescue on more than one occasion with transport and foster. Her name is Ashlee Trotter and she owns Creative Paws Dog Training (www.creativepaws.com).

Good looking dog!! Can you tell us which shelter you pulled her from? Many rescues have come out of the Chicago area :x
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
esanders09
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:41 am
Tell us about yourself: My husband and I adopted a shepherd mix from Chicago Animal Care & Control a couple of years ago. It has since become apparent to us that she's at least part Dutch Shepherd.

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by esanders09 »

Thanks for the recommendations!

We adopted her from Chicago Animal Care & Control. It took three visits before we were able to adopt her because they were so short staffed. Quite the contrast from the no-kill shelters on the North side!
Elizabeth and Pepper
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :)
Image
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Christie M »

esanders09 wrote:Thanks for the recommendations!

We adopted her from Chicago Animal Care & Control. It took three visits before we were able to adopt her because they were so short staffed. Quite the contrast from the no-kill shelters on the North side!
So that would be the 6th dog that I know of from that location :o
I'm so glad you were able to save her!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Kristie E
Training Dog
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Kristie E »

Welcome !! My Brother and his family live somewhere downtown ;-) I forget the name of the park but it has the big bean thing there :cool: we aren't that far away from either.. a few hours to the east in ohio .
Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome, what a handsome doggie!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
dutchpii
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 am
Tell us about yourself: Regular guy that found a Dutch Shepherd on Craigslist. I've heard of and have seen these dogs before. I've had three Malinois dogs in the past.

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by dutchpii »

I'm from Chicago too... currently in Forest Park!
Jeff and Pi in Forest Park, IL
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Elizabeth from Chicago. 8-) Thanks for adopting a shelter dog.
LyonsFamily wrote:The white chest and toes are normal in a Dutch. While they're not desired in a perfect conformation dog, they can have white on the chests and toes. Other than his ears (but they sure are cute) he looks like a Dutch.
Uhmmmmm. :oops: No. A tiny white spot on the chest may happen, and a toe tip, possibly, but neither are to be considered 'normal'. The amount of white that would be considered normal would be an amount that would all but disappear on an adult dog. Visible white markings may be a very good indicator that the dog may have another breed in it's woodpile that normally sports a lot more white (like bull terriers, for example) That is not supposed to sound like nit picking, I just wanted to point out that visible white markings on chest and feet are a good indicator that the package contains more than just DS.
This particular dog (nice looking!!) has a GSD set of ears, but I do see the DS association, yes.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
Jan
Training Dog
Posts: 405
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:58 pm
Tell us about yourself: I like Dutch Shepherddogs, especially the roughcoat. At the moment we have three dogs, two DS (one female who is 10 years and one male who is six months) and one male Laekenois at the age of three. We live in the north of The Netherlands.
Location: Zoutkamp, NL

Re: Hello from Chicago

Post by Jan »

Welcome.
Image
Post Reply