I am in the military and currently in AFG. One of our dog handlers has a Dutchy and he is about the coolest MWD I have met. Can't really talk to much about his details but safe to say he IS THE MAN. To boot he is a big ol sweety and attention hog! I am considering a Dutchy for a pet/family protection dog as I am away a lot. I have a 2.5 year old Golden female at home (we call her 55lbs of Love). Any thoughts on any possible issues? Thanks
SFC B
Just intro'd to dutchy, I think I'm in love :)
-
SFC B
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 am
- Tell us about yourself: Soldier, family man and dog lover!!!
-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Just intro'd to dutchy, I think I'm in love :)
Love indeed, then youve come to the best place as everyone here is smitten with our beloved DSs. The most knowledgeable on the breed frequent here and are very willing to share and educate so ENJOY the ride! Welcome and thank you for your service. My son spent his deployment in Iraq a few years back.
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Just intro'd to dutchy, I think I'm in love :)
Hi there and welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much for your service!
The right Dutch Shepherd could be a great addition to your home. They do require more mental and physical stimulation than your average pet dog, but hopefully your Golden would buddy up with it and they could wrestle some of that energy away. I would suggest a male. Male/female pairings tend to do the best. Maybe also consider a rescue. By adopting a younger male (6mo-2yr) you would not have to deal with all of the housebreaking issues and have a better idea of overall temperament!
Please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name!!
Thank you again!
Thank you so much for your service!
The right Dutch Shepherd could be a great addition to your home. They do require more mental and physical stimulation than your average pet dog, but hopefully your Golden would buddy up with it and they could wrestle some of that energy away. I would suggest a male. Male/female pairings tend to do the best. Maybe also consider a rescue. By adopting a younger male (6mo-2yr) you would not have to deal with all of the housebreaking issues and have a better idea of overall temperament!
Please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name!!
Thank you again!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Just intro'd to dutchy, I think I'm in love :)
I would say take your time to meet a few more Dutchies before you decide. Do you have any experience living with a working dog? Coming from a Golden (if that's the extent of your experience) would be night and day and not necessarily for the better. Keep in mind the Dutchie you know has been very extensively trained so while he may be a good example of what a Dutchie can be like when you put massive amounts of work into it, it is a deceiving picture compared to what they can be like when not trained properly. They can be a lot of dog to handle for any one with limited working dog experience.
Choochi
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Just intro'd to dutchy, I think I'm in love :)
To agree with everyone already, they are super lovable and sweet but If not trained or handled properly they can be brindle Hell! There is TONS of training that goes into that type of DS, or any dog, at that level. I have two females that get along great, but listen to the others, they are more knowledgeable than I am. Maybe they are anomalies?? well... I know sadie is LOL.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
SFC B
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:01 am
- Tell us about yourself: Soldier, family man and dog lover!!!
Re: Just intro'd to dutchy, I think I'm in love :)
Thanks for the input so far. I do have experience around both MWDs and police dogs. I understand the committment. I have had Goldens (2), a Pit-Brittany mix and a Sheltie. All of those were simply pets and companions. I would be looking for this to be a pet "with a purpose". Our Golden is an altered female and very sweet so that end of the equation would be the easy part. I will probably try and find some locals when I get home from deployment to get a longer look. VERY interesting for now though....


Facebook page.