hey everyone! i'm ayla, joining all you dutchie connoisseurs circa indiana. a week ago i drove ten hours to pick up my dutch shepherd girly -- jolene/jolie -- who turned ten weeks old today she's learning french commands and will be attending therapy sessions with me as soon as she's housebroken (at this point, its looking grim). i'm excited to get to know all of you and your beautiful mongrels. also, the photos below were taken on friday!
and just for comparison's sake, this is her the day after we brought her home. IT GREW.
ayla, central indiana
jolene, ten week old dutch shepherd
Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.
She is a beautiful pup indeed! Kimberly Futch (who is on this forum) has done some phenominal therapy/ service dog work with her Dutch and a Malinois she fostered/trained until it was ready to go to its new home. What an exciting and rewarding venue!
Where abouts in Indiana? I'll be in Indy this coming Thursday, but reside in TN! The AWDF Nationals are occurring this week in Indianapolis and I know of a few hard core Dutch owners that are planning to attend, if only to observe. Also, Eric (our head admin) lives there.
10 hours is a haul! But she looks well worth it. Where did she come from?
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind. Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32. Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
hello ladies (and gents)! thank you! i will most certainly keep everyone updated.
to answer your questions, christie: i'm from noblesville, but i drive to indianapolis every week for appointments. (: i wasn't aware the nationals were this week! that'll be zounds of fun. take pictures!
her breeder is alpha k9 kennels. jolie and her brother were pick of the litter/the stud fee. he was very nice and informative, took an hour out of his agenda to give us a lot of advice. so yes, definitely well worth the haul!
ayla, central indiana
jolene, ten week old dutch shepherd
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.