Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
-
masonbates
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Possibly a first time Dutch owner or mix, not sure.
- Location: Stamford, CT
Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Hi.
We adopted a puppy a month ago that I assumed was some sort of GS mixed breed. She was one of eight and all the siblings were identical, which I thought would be unusual for a mixed breed. When I brought her home, our Dutch neighbor said we had a Dutch Shepherd (never heard of one). We looked up pictures and some do look like her but I'm not so sure. Her ears are straight up but the tips flop.
Anyway, if someone could go to the following link: http://www.loracarr.com/blog/ and if you scroll down below the new picture of the half naked woman (if that offends you, please don't click on the link) you will see pictures of Cookie. Any help in identifying would be great. We get so many questions about her - I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously. I don't think those animals would be so easy to train.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
masonbates
We adopted a puppy a month ago that I assumed was some sort of GS mixed breed. She was one of eight and all the siblings were identical, which I thought would be unusual for a mixed breed. When I brought her home, our Dutch neighbor said we had a Dutch Shepherd (never heard of one). We looked up pictures and some do look like her but I'm not so sure. Her ears are straight up but the tips flop.
Anyway, if someone could go to the following link: http://www.loracarr.com/blog/ and if you scroll down below the new picture of the half naked woman (if that offends you, please don't click on the link) you will see pictures of Cookie. Any help in identifying would be great. We get so many questions about her - I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously. I don't think those animals would be so easy to train.
Thank you.
Sincerely,
masonbates
Robin
Southern Connecticut
Dutch Shepherd newbie
Southern Connecticut
Dutch Shepherd newbie
- Taz
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm 26 years old, from Fayetteville,NC and just adopted a 5 month DS from NADSR. His name is Taz
- Location: Fayetteville, NC
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Hi
I would say it's a Dutch Shepherd
I would say it's a Dutch Shepherd
Jochen and Taz
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
masonbates wrote:I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously.
Based on that alone, YES! further confirmed by the picture
Choochi
- Olie
- Green Dog
- Posts: 236
- Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Only a couple of hours after I adopted Olaf, we had a cable guy coming to our house to install..well, cable tv. When I opened the door for him, he said "Whats that?! A hyena?!?" That was the first comment I got for him ever. Later some people also said he looks like a hyena. But as time passes by, I see he looks more like an african wild dogmasonbates wrote:Hi.
We get so many questions about her - I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo.
Nice puppy you got there! And he sure looks like a DS
Barbara & Olaf
Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)

Croatia, Europe (that`s why my english is bad)

- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
I second that!! Thalie has been called all of the above as well.Choochi wrote:masonbates wrote:I honestly have been asked if she might be part hyena, wild african dog, wolf and dingo. Seriously.
Based on that alone, YES! further confirmed by the picture
Where in Ct are you??? Im in Ct too!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
adorable puppy and glad that you adopted!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
Lauren
- Training Dog
- Posts: 540
- Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:29 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a wife, mother of 2 kids, 3 cats, 1 Standard Poodle (10 yrs) and Xena, a Dutch Shepherd Puppy.
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Looks Dutchie to me! What a beautiful pup. I think her ear tips may be a bit floppy if she is teething and could stand straight as she gets older (but there are many others on this forum that could tell you better).
Lauren from Western NC
-
masonbates
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Possibly a first time Dutch owner or mix, not sure.
- Location: Stamford, CT
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Hi. Thank you for the replies and conformation on breed. Also, thank you for going to the link. I don't have any pictures of her yet but my sister is a photographer and posted pics she took during a hike we took.
I thought it was strange that at the adoption fair there would be eight puppies that all looked exactly alike. I didn't think that was normal for mixed breed litters. The other puppies from a different litter all looked different. Unfortunately the rescue group didn't know what kind of dog she was (that being said, my vet has never heard of a ds) and after reading about Dutch Shepherds, I have to say I got a bit intimidated. Though she is very good. My trainer thinks she is great and she hasn't chewed anything, etc. She nipped a bit at first but I put a stop to that. My kids feed her and she waits until the command to go to her dish. She is great on the leash and we've already taught her a few tricks. She is currently passed out after almost two hours in the dog park.
I'm in Southern CT - near Stamford. Any suggestions would be great. I'm a complete DS newbie.
Thanks
I thought it was strange that at the adoption fair there would be eight puppies that all looked exactly alike. I didn't think that was normal for mixed breed litters. The other puppies from a different litter all looked different. Unfortunately the rescue group didn't know what kind of dog she was (that being said, my vet has never heard of a ds) and after reading about Dutch Shepherds, I have to say I got a bit intimidated. Though she is very good. My trainer thinks she is great and she hasn't chewed anything, etc. She nipped a bit at first but I put a stop to that. My kids feed her and she waits until the command to go to her dish. She is great on the leash and we've already taught her a few tricks. She is currently passed out after almost two hours in the dog park.
I'm in Southern CT - near Stamford. Any suggestions would be great. I'm a complete DS newbie.
Thanks
Robin
Southern Connecticut
Dutch Shepherd newbie
Southern Connecticut
Dutch Shepherd newbie
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Congrats on your new pup, and welcome to the forum!!
I agree with the others, sure looks like a (gorgeous!) DS, and yup, I get all the same comments with hyena, etc...in fact we didn't know what we had when we got ours from a mixed litter, and thats what we joked about with what she was. But in our case, Sugar was the only one that looked like her. Never heard of a DS either when we got her.
Anyway, super smart dogs, and I think you are lucky to have found her. Look forward to hearing stories and seeing more pics!
I agree with the others, sure looks like a (gorgeous!) DS, and yup, I get all the same comments with hyena, etc...in fact we didn't know what we had when we got ours from a mixed litter, and thats what we joked about with what she was. But in our case, Sugar was the only one that looked like her. Never heard of a DS either when we got her.
Anyway, super smart dogs, and I think you are lucky to have found her. Look forward to hearing stories and seeing more pics!
Sue (and Sugar)

- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Welcome to the forum person from CT with Dutch Shepherd Cookie.
Tell us a little more about yourself? Name, gender, that kind of stuff? If you could go to your user panel and create a 'signature' then we don't have to keep wondering who you are.
Tell us a little more about yourself? Name, gender, that kind of stuff? If you could go to your user panel and create a 'signature' then we don't have to keep wondering who you are.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
We are really close!! Im in Southbury. I dont have a trainer, I do the training, *cough* myself. I keep thinking of looking for another Ring trainer but then time goes by and ... well you know.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Wow...your sister is a great photographer, and you have a very nice looking pup.
Used to live in Rowayton, not so far from you.
Have fun with Cookie!
Used to live in Rowayton, not so far from you.
Have fun with Cookie!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Looking at the pics again, I noticed Cookie has the same kind of stripe going down his leg as Sugar has.
Sue (and Sugar)

-
masonbates
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 5
- Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Possibly a first time Dutch owner or mix, not sure.
- Location: Stamford, CT
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Hi. I brought in a trainer as I'm not sure I am an "experienced" dog owner. I never really know what that means. Anyway, it was worth it for me, it reinforced the fact that I need to be the alpha.
Rowayton is just five minutes away. They have a new dog park but the one in New Canaan, CT is really nice.
If anyone knows of anyone who is interested, one puppy from her litter is still in a foster home. I listed it under Rescues. I don't know if he is being fostered in CT or PA. His name is Holt and it is through Trails of Courage. http://tailsofcourage.org/
Rowayton is just five minutes away. They have a new dog park but the one in New Canaan, CT is really nice.
If anyone knows of anyone who is interested, one puppy from her litter is still in a foster home. I listed it under Rescues. I don't know if he is being fostered in CT or PA. His name is Holt and it is through Trails of Courage. http://tailsofcourage.org/
Robin
Southern Connecticut
Dutch Shepherd newbie
Southern Connecticut
Dutch Shepherd newbie
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Hi from Connecticut - do I own a Dutch Shepherd?
Just a reminder about creating a signature that includes your name. With so many new folks, its hard to keep track 
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:


Facebook page.