Hey, I've been creeping on the forum for a little bit now... Figured I'd join haha I don't own a Dutch Shepherd at the moment, or any dog for that matter... But, when my wife and I get a house (hopefully by fall) we'll be looking at getting one. Between the two of us we've had a couple GSDs, A handful of Labs, a few mix breeds and pound dogs. I stumbled across the Dutch Shepherd breed a while back and was just fascinated by them. So We're thinking that's what we want for our next pup.
-Devin-
Hello from Maine!
-
7ate9
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 am
- Tell us about yourself: No, dogs at the moment, but looking for one in the near future..
Hello from Maine!
-Devin-
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Maine!
Welcome, Deven!
What are your plans for your future DS?
What are your plans for your future DS?
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
7ate9
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 am
- Tell us about yourself: No, dogs at the moment, but looking for one in the near future..
Re: Hello from Maine!
We're gonna be looking for a family protection pet, someone to keep my wife feeling safe when I'm not around. I run an antique auto restoration shop which will be right next to our future house. So he'll be joining me at work most days to keep an eye on things.. We're fairly active, the dog will go for a daily jog and have plenty of time set aside for playing and training to keep his body and mind exercised. We might also start trying to have a baby this winter. As far as I can tell there shouldn't be any problems having a DS around a baby/young child, hopefully I'm not mistaken?
-Devin-
- Olie
- Green Dog
- Posts: 236
- Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am a 32 y.o. veterinarian working in a food microbiology lab, Olaf is cca 1-1,5 y.o. DS adopted from shelter. We are from Croatia.
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from Maine!
Welcome! Hope your plans come together---check out the DS rescues when you're ready----can't help with the looking for a baby thing, you may have to make your own. 
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Hello from Maine!
welcome!! someone else on here is from Maine too - maybe you guys are neighbors?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Hello from Maine!
Welcome!
Couple of things I would mention; I personally would not recommend having a puppy and baby at same time. WAY to much work!!! (Did it, and wish I didn't!!) Both need constant attention. If you get a puppy, I would suggest waiting til it grows up some before having a baby. Or other way around.
We also have a home based biz and its been a lot of work to get my dog to not bark at customers as they come, (actually, still a work in progress). Not saying it can't be done, just saying its a lot of work.
So good luck, best dogs ever, but a lot of work and commitment!!
Couple of things I would mention; I personally would not recommend having a puppy and baby at same time. WAY to much work!!! (Did it, and wish I didn't!!) Both need constant attention. If you get a puppy, I would suggest waiting til it grows up some before having a baby. Or other way around.
We also have a home based biz and its been a lot of work to get my dog to not bark at customers as they come, (actually, still a work in progress). Not saying it can't be done, just saying its a lot of work.
So good luck, best dogs ever, but a lot of work and commitment!!
Sue (and Sugar)

-
7ate9
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:25 am
- Tell us about yourself: No, dogs at the moment, but looking for one in the near future..
Re: Hello from Maine!
chris- from what I've geard making it is the fun part anyways...
Barbera- we're all neighbors up here in Maine..
Sue- Thanks for the advice!
Barbera- we're all neighbors up here in Maine..
Sue- Thanks for the advice!
-Devin-
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Hello from Maine!
Hi there. Welcome to the forum.
I love your login! Very original.
If you can take a moment, can you please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. Keeps you from having to sign every post.
I love your login! Very original.
If you can take a moment, can you please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. Keeps you from having to sign every post.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown


Facebook page.