Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
JasonHavens
Just Whelped
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Police K9 w/ a 53lb, 3 yr old female Dutch Shepherd named Dexi.

Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by JasonHavens »

Hello all,
My name is Jason. I live in Ohio (US). I was a regular 'ol police officer for a small local Police Dept. and I liked my job up until 1 1/2 yrs ago. That's when I met a 2 yr old female that changed my life. This 2 yr old moved into my place and started working with me and causing misery for many she came in contact with. She even made some stop leaving their homes while she was working (I know that for fact). She is now going on 3 1/2 and continues to be a nuisance for a select few. I no longer like my job, I love it. That 3 1/2 yr old is Dexi, she is a 53lb, 4 legged bundle of energy that goes non-stop from dawn to dusk (to be honest in the dark as well). If I don't feel up to dealing w/ the day to day numb-skulls, she is quick to get me up to the task. She is awesome and I look forward to many years w/ my girl.
JasonHavens GPD/K9
-I seize your dope and raise you a Grand Jury Indictment-
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by MeganBays »

Hey Hey :) :) :)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hey Jason. Yeah, these girls will do it to ya!!!!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Christie M »

What a great intro!!!

Thanks for joining!! Tell us more about Dexi. Do you know where she originated from? Where in Ohio are you at? I lived in MI my whole life, but moved to TN 4 12 years ago. I still visit Ohio to train and judge quite a bit.

Of course, we all would love pictures!

If you can, please take a moment and visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It helps us keep all you Ohio State people identified.......I mean, it helps us keep everyone straight :lol:
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by MeganBays »

Bc Jason refuses to take any good pics of her, despite his supposed mad camera skills...

You can see more about Dexi here:
http://www.kolemountainkennels.com/libe ... esdexi.htm

And more pics here:
http://www.kolemountainkennels.com/apps/photos/

And more video here:
http://www.kolemountainkennels.com/apps/videos/

Hopefully she'll be having a date with either Bor or Reppie sometime soon....... :) :) :)
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by MeganBays »

Some of my fav old pics of her...

Image
IMG_1289 by MeganBays, on Flickr

Image
IMG_2875 by MeganBays, on Flickr

Image
IMG_2777 by MeganBays, on Flickr

Image
IMG_2780 by MeganBays, on Flickr

Ok... I'll quit taking over your thread now... I'm just proud of my girl! :)
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Christie M »

MeganBays wrote:Some of my fav old pics of her...

Ok... I'll quit taking over your thread now... I'm just proud of my girl! :)
Megan - is she single purpose just because that is what the department wanted out of her?
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Choochi »

hehe I almost bought that dog when I first starred looking for a Dutchie :)

Cool intro! Welcome to the brindle board!
Choochi
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by MeganBays »

Christie M wrote:
MeganBays wrote:Some of my fav old pics of her...

Ok... I'll quit taking over your thread now... I'm just proud of my girl! :)
Megan - is she single purpose just because that is what the department wanted out of her?
She's single purpose bc that's all we sold her as. We sold her as a finished dog, and her bite work wasn't done. She would have made a kick ass French Ring dog! Jason has done an awesome job with her. They are a great team and I'm so proud :) .
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by MeganBays »

Choochi wrote:hehe I almost bought that dog when I first starred looking for a Dutchie :)

Cool intro! Welcome to the brindle board!
If I remember right you didn't go with her bc you wanted a bigger dog... Heehee... :D
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Christie M »

MeganBays wrote: She's single purpose bc that's all we sold her as. We sold her as a finished dog, and her bite work wasn't done. She would have made a kick ass French Ring dog! Jason has done an awesome job with her. They are a great team and I'm so proud :) .
Got it. We have many departments around here who don't want to deal with the management of a full patrol dog, so they end up being under utilized to their full potential. Its good to know when you have the full package! Awesome that you were the one who brought her up!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
JasonHavens
Just Whelped
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Police K9 w/ a 53lb, 3 yr old female Dutch Shepherd named Dexi.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by JasonHavens »

As Megan said, Dexi is certified as single purpose. However she can do it all rather well. When we train I work on narcs primarily but when I have willing participants Dexi (or "skinny" as I call her quite often) will track/trail, building search, protect my butt or whatever I ask of her. When I am able to finish her out I intend on certifying her for patrol as well.
On a different note a little back patting is in order...For those of you who already know Megan you are very fortunate. If you don't know her then get to know her. She is a great person to know and has been more than willing to help me through my and Dexi's growing pains we have had together.
Christie, I'm gonna get that signature thing taken care of before I post anything else. Thanks for having me.
JasonHavens GPD/K9
-I seize your dope and raise you a Grand Jury Indictment-
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Choochi »

MeganBays wrote:
Choochi wrote:hehe I almost bought that dog when I first starred looking for a Dutchie :)

Cool intro! Welcome to the brindle board!
If I remember right you didn't go with her bc you wanted a bigger dog... Heehee... :D

lol ya didn't quite work out that way! but at least I got puppy breath for a few weeks!
Choochi
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by MeganBays »

It takes a village, and we definitely had one with Dexi. Our friend Barry did an awesome job finishing Dexi's narc training and giving Jason a handler's course to get them off on the right foot ;)
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome :D
Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hanging out w/ my Dutch Shepherd in Ohio

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome Jason and Dexi! One of the best intro's yet. Glad Megan hyjacked your thread to post photos. :wtg:

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
Post Reply