Hello from Alabama
-
Turrell2
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Patty and I have two dogs I rescued. One is a chow mix named Bella who is 8 1/2 and a Dutch Shepherd named Sophie aka Soso who is about 7 1/2 years old.
Hello from Alabama
Hi folks. I am Patty and about three months ago I adopted a Dutch shepherd from an animal rescue grop in Tuscoloosa Alabama. She is about 20 months old and was under wieght with her ribs and hips visible, and had hook worms, and had crescent shaped wounds on her nose and under mer muzzle. She had a food aggression issue which has cleared up since I hand fed her for about a month. I think she had to fight for food and she has rapidly gained weight and will sneak around and eat her sister Bella food and the cats food also. She has post traumatic stress from surviving the mobile home she was living in that was sucked up by a tornado. I named her Sophie and I also call her my little flower because over the last months she has blossomed and her muzzle has healed and she has filed out and her coat is soft and shinny now. I had never heard of this bread before and I am so in love with her and she is a most loving girl and has grown to trust us. Others not so much and we are working on her social skills. She and my little chow mix have formed a loving bond. Very interesting breed I am learning. Thanks, Patty 

"A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart"
~Judy Desmond
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Hello from Alabama
Welcome!!!!!
wow, what a story!! Poor little pup! So glad she now has you in her life and thanks for adopting. My recently adopted 6 mo boy Kai is not taking to strangers either.
Must post some pics of her!!
wow, what a story!! Poor little pup! So glad she now has you in her life and thanks for adopting. My recently adopted 6 mo boy Kai is not taking to strangers either.
Must post some pics of her!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Hello from Alabama
What a great story and thank you so much for saving a life!! We would love to see pictures!
If you get a moment, please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It helps us keep everyone straight!
Thanks and again, welcome!!!
If you get a moment, please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature that includes your name. It helps us keep everyone straight!
Thanks and again, welcome!!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: Hello from Alabama
Welcome and that is quite a story! Very nice to hear about your flower blossoming and look forward to hearing more stories and seeing some pics of her.
Sue (and Sugar)

- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Hello from Alabama
Welcome! Glad she has a nice safe home now. poor little thing with what she went through.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




-
GSDNanny
- Training Dog
- Posts: 615
- Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.
Re: Hello from Alabama
What a traumatic event in her life but so wonderful you are there to give her a new beginning. Thank you for your effort.
Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew
Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
-
Turrell2
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Patty and I have two dogs I rescued. One is a chow mix named Bella who is 8 1/2 and a Dutch Shepherd named Sophie aka Soso who is about 7 1/2 years old.
Re: Hello from Alabama
I am way out oF practice with posting pictures and such but here is one of my dutchie Sophie and her sister Bella



"A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart"
~Judy Desmond
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Alabama
What a story! So glad you found here and us...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- alspyce
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1222
- Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year! - Location: Corinth, New York
Re: Hello from Alabama
Welcome!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
Chris Carlton/Lyric
-
alexis
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane
Re: Hello from Alabama
Welcome! Lots of people with rescues here! Mine took about 8 months at home with us before he started to be willing to be friendly with strangers in the street (he's still not fond of them in the house).
alexis & zane in NYC
-
jjohnsice
- Puppy
- Posts: 38
- Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:50 pm
- Tell us about yourself: jsut lost my maggie p of 14 yrs, never knew what breed she was until someone on a degenerative mylthopia noticed her pics and told me what she was. the most loyal, intelligent, athleic, loving dog a person could ever ask for.
- Location: Little Rock,AR
- Contact:
Re: Hello from Alabama
What a doll Sophie is, i fear she may be to much dog for you, may I have her...
, seriously, she looks to be a top notch DS, you will be so happy to have her in your life.
john h
the departed maggie p
the departed maggie p
-
Turrell2
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:17 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello, my name is Patty and I have two dogs I rescued. One is a chow mix named Bella who is 8 1/2 and a Dutch Shepherd named Sophie aka Soso who is about 7 1/2 years old.
Re: Hello from Alabama
Thanks all
She is one of the best things that have happened to me. She is such a sweetie with us.

"A dog is the only thing that can mend a crack in your broken heart"
~Judy Desmond


Facebook page.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
