NC - Watching and Waiting

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
irenafarm
Just Whelped
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:44 am
Tell us about yourself: Homeschool mom and farmer in Blue Ridge of North Carolina. Raise sheep. Disabled and have a service dog, a BC named Sam, who also does Dockdogs and ISDS style herding. Also do herding with another BC. Also have a retired herding BC, a young sheltie terrier I'm starting rally with, and a retired livestock guardian Maremma sheepdog. Hoping to adopt or purchase an adult Dutch Shepherd as a a candidate to succeed Sam as a mobility service dog as my condition is requiring a larger, stronger dog with more stamina and drive. I've had a Dutchie mix before and adored her.

NC - Watching and Waiting

Post by irenafarm »

Hey there! I didn't realize there was a DS forum or I would have been here ages ago. I have been the mama of a Dutchie cross for many years, though she's rather mixed up and it was rare I think I saw her DS nature. I think. I don't know. She was odd - her mother was a deliberate BC cross (yeah) and so they matched the personalities pretty well, the female was imported just for the purpose in fact.

Big shocker, it was a failure and they sent all the pups out as pets. This happened after I lost touch them - and then I got a call from the shelter of this very tiny town with a group of "Belgian shepherd/collie mixes". Yup, they had adopted those pups out INTACT.

Lynn and her littermates seem to have been Golden mixes. Many looked just like their parent's litter though.

Lynn had strong herding instincts in her youth. But she has mild CHD. So at nearly eight she has assumed couch queen status. I trained her in public access manners with the thought that I would be letting her take my Border Collie's place as a mobility dog for me. But then the CHD came up.

So, one of my relatives who is a Marine came back from overseas with some serious doldrums (I will not go more into that). I told him he needs a blonde girlfriend to ride in his convertable with him. :)

I miss my Lynn terribly though. And I still need a mobility dog - my need is pressing, in fact. So I've been watching the rescues. I actually have been volunteering with Mal rescue. It seemed impossible that such a rare breed as a DS would need an adoptive home like mine. My friend bought her one dog overseas. The sire of Lynn's mother was from some fancy pants kennel in the Northeast.

I saw a lot of calls for help with Dutchies on the Mal list though. And I realized that my first love really is the brindle babies. :love:

I applied for a girl in Virginia this week. I don't know whether it will work, but my app is in now. So there's a stripey pupper out there somewhere for me.... ;)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: NC - Watching and Waiting

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome and good luck to you!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: NC - Watching and Waiting

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome and good luck with your hunt. Don't forget to post pics when you get your new brindle love!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Post Reply