Hey hey hey! How's it going?

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
N2Th3Stars
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 am
Tell us about yourself: I joined this forum to learn more about the breed. In the future I would like to do Search and Rescue work with a Dutch Shepherd. At this time I do have one dog (Eli, a Pit Bull mix) and a cat (Mauser).

In the past i've worked at various rescue organizations doing everything from grooming and washing dishes to rehoming, fostering, and training. I've helped dogs, cats, lizards, goats, a ferret, rodents, and even rattlesnakes on occasion.

I've also spent a year and a half working as a Veterinary Technician. I never went to school for it, just trained on the job-- which is why I am thinking about going to school to get my actual certificate. Dunno how life will go though!! Randomness happens :)
Location: California

Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by N2Th3Stars »

Hello all....!
Just wanted to introduce myself as I have recently joined the forum. While I am fairly experienced with dogs and animals in general, I am completely new to the Dutch Shepherd breed. I've known about them for awhile, but I never really took a whole lot of time to research them. It is my hope that reading threads here and chatting with you guys will help me get a better understanding of this breed. ^_^

In the future I would love to get involved with search and rescue work, which is one reason why I am interested in learning more about the Dutch Shepherd. From what I currently know about them, they seem to be well suited for this type of work. And even if the dog I end up getting in the future isn't particularly interested in SAR work, at least I know she'll be able to keep up with me on my backpacking adventures!

Anyways, I am looking forward to meeting you all and getting to know more about this wonderful breed.. :wtg:


EDIT: Here is a picture of my dog, Eli... :)
Image
Image

I would look at a dog and when our eyes met,
I realized that the dog and all creatures are
my family. They're just like you and me.
~Ziggy Marley~
User avatar
turnnburn52984
Training Dog
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA

Want to know anything else, just ask!
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by turnnburn52984 »

Welcome!!! Eli is adorable!
Kelly
Image
Koenig
User avatar
cake73
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
Contact:

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by cake73 »

Awwww. Eli is a cutie!

Looks like you already like stripes. :mrgreen:
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015


North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by vneerland »

Welcome N2th3stars. Whew...that's a hard screen name. :oops: Love your intro, Eli looks very huggable, and Ziggy Marley is right. But I still don't know who you are. :lol: Could you please ad a (your) name to the signature?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by leih merigian »

welcome!

Cute dog!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by icvanstra »

I think I got it ... "In to the stars"

Close? :D
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
N2Th3Stars
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 am
Tell us about yourself: I joined this forum to learn more about the breed. In the future I would like to do Search and Rescue work with a Dutch Shepherd. At this time I do have one dog (Eli, a Pit Bull mix) and a cat (Mauser).

In the past i've worked at various rescue organizations doing everything from grooming and washing dishes to rehoming, fostering, and training. I've helped dogs, cats, lizards, goats, a ferret, rodents, and even rattlesnakes on occasion.

I've also spent a year and a half working as a Veterinary Technician. I never went to school for it, just trained on the job-- which is why I am thinking about going to school to get my actual certificate. Dunno how life will go though!! Randomness happens :)
Location: California

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by N2Th3Stars »

My apologies! My name is Heather, and yes my screen name means "In To The Stars" -- i'm a star trek fan, plus I just love astronomy in general.. don't know a ton about it, but it's pretty fascinating. Must say, I am sad to see that this community doesn't seem too large. More people need to join!! And yes Cake, I do love those stripes :) Talk about good camouflage!! I'm lucky he has a bright red collar on (going to switch over to a bright orange one soon, and sew some reflector fabric on it as well).

^_^ LoL by the way, I was pretty amused to see the borg smiley! :borg: So great.


Oh! I know this isn't a cat forum, but I wanted to introduce my cat Mauser also, he's Eli's 2nd favorite toy (first being anything he can tug!) So yeah, here is a picture of Eli with his kitteh, Mauser:

Image
Image

I would look at a dog and when our eyes met,
I realized that the dog and all creatures are
my family. They're just like you and me.
~Ziggy Marley~
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by icvanstra »

Heather,

The Dutch Shepherd community as a whole is not that large... The forum was started several years ago, but pretty much sat idle until earlier this summer. Then in the last couple of weeks membership more than tripled with the Rescue Calendar voting.

There are some other ST fans on here with us... Which series is your favorite? I'm going to guess ST:TOS as an obvious choice. ;) After DS9 i lost interest.

How about the remake of Battlestar Galactica? Maybe Stargate?

Thanks for the introduction and creating a signature.

Eric
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
N2Th3Stars
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:27 am
Tell us about yourself: I joined this forum to learn more about the breed. In the future I would like to do Search and Rescue work with a Dutch Shepherd. At this time I do have one dog (Eli, a Pit Bull mix) and a cat (Mauser).

In the past i've worked at various rescue organizations doing everything from grooming and washing dishes to rehoming, fostering, and training. I've helped dogs, cats, lizards, goats, a ferret, rodents, and even rattlesnakes on occasion.

I've also spent a year and a half working as a Veterinary Technician. I never went to school for it, just trained on the job-- which is why I am thinking about going to school to get my actual certificate. Dunno how life will go though!! Randomness happens :)
Location: California

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by N2Th3Stars »

Well, either way, I am glad to be a part of the community now! Even though I will not have a DS any time soon, lol.. it will be a long wait-- totally worth it though.

As for Star Trek, I pretty much enjoy all of it. Each series/movie has it's own thing to offer. TOS is and forever will be #1 on my list though. Followed by TNG. I never really sat down to watch Galactica, but i've been told it is pretty good so i'll have to check it out one of these days. Stargate i've watched a couple of times, though I can't really remember it to be honest.
Image

I would look at a dog and when our eyes met,
I realized that the dog and all creatures are
my family. They're just like you and me.
~Ziggy Marley~
User avatar
Aztechalo
Puppy
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:01 am
Tell us about yourself: I live in North Monterey County, CA with my husband, three step kids, one gorgeous and wonderful Dutch Shepherd and a whole bunch of livestock type animals. The humans are into sustainable farming, the dog is into chasing deer and digging up gophers. My day job is an Operations Supervisor at Santa Cruz Regional 911. One of these days, I'm going to get another DS.
Contact:

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by Aztechalo »

Welcome Heather and animal friends! I think you're smart to learn about the DS before you get one. I wish this forum was more active before i bought my DS. I might have chosen differently. Clearly, I'm now to DS's too and I love love love them.

Cheers!
Marsha and Chaos (4 yo, DS)

In all Chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order.
-Carl Jung
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by GSDNanny »

I understand where you are coming from. When I got my DS, Zip, she was about 9 mos old, a rescue from South TX. My only other experience with a DS was rescuing a senior dog from the Katrina aftermath. I had seen two others at a couple of DVG trials. I was intrigued by the breed having had German Sheps for nearly 50 yrs. After placing the old girl in a great home, I decided that maybe one day there would be one permanently in my home. Six months later, my Zip came to me. She was the only one in my area til the local LE K9 unit acquired one so I was at a loss so far as learning but we have winged it and so far, so good. I wish I had gotten her as a young pup but we have worked thru some of her issues. She is my shadow. And like you all, I love love her to death!!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hey hey hey! How's it going?

Post by vneerland »

Aztechalo wrote:Welcome Heather and animal friends! I think you're smart to learn about the DS before you get one. I wish this forum was more active before i bought my DS. I might have chosen differently. Clearly, I'm now to DS's too and I love love love them.
I am confused about that remark? You would NOT have gotten a DS if you had known more, but now you love them? :?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
Post Reply