Hello from Southeast Pennsylvania!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
woods witch
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm
Tell us about yourself: stay at home mom, married, outdoorsy family looking for our first dutchie. very experienced dog people
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Hello from Southeast Pennsylvania!

Post by woods witch »

Hi, I have been reading posts here for a while and just wanted to introduce myself. I am a stay at home mom/artist/woodcarver with 2 kids (18 yrs and 14 yrs old) and a wonderful husband. We have 3 labs, chickens and a cat. We have trained our labs to be upland/waterfowl hunting dogs and they are equally comfortable in front of the woodstove in the house or hanging in their kennel. They actually love their kennel set up so much that they are usually in there when the door is left open. I have had a Doberman, who was my first "child" for 12 years, a shepherd/husky mix, a daschund and an English Setter. I have been seriously considering a Dutchie for about 2 years now. I really am looking for a family dog who will be by my side at all possible times. We are a very outdoorsy family...we go hiking alot and spend as much time as possible outside. I love everything I have read about the breed regarding their intelligence, loyalty and protectiveness. (Very few people are intimidated by a Labrador Retreiver!) We live in rural area and are surrounded by mostly Amish neighbors. Occasionally, there are some low lifes around that cause trouble in the area. And sometimes, I hike alone. So the protection aspect of the breed is one reason for the interest.
We own 2 acres that is bordered by farmland and Amish neighbors who have several small children. Currently our dogs are contained on our property with an underground electric fence.
Does anyone think that this situation would be a concern with a protective Dutch Shepherd? I am fully prepared to spend the time socializing our dog as well as attending puppy/basic obedience school. I am a confident dog owner but I have no experience with this breed. I welcome any advice from you experienced Dutchie owners and suggestions or references for local breeders. We are willing to travel to find the right dog :D
Carolyn
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hello from Southeast Pennsylvania!

Post by MeganBays »

I just wanted to say that "woods witch" is an awesome user ID. that's all. :)
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello from Southeast Pennsylvania!

Post by leih merigian »

Hi Woods Witch,

My only beef is that I don't like electric fences, period. While they may contain your dogs, they can't keep other dogs, critters and people out of your yard. And, if a dog charges thru that fence once, if they have high enough prey drive (think DS :mrgreen: ), they often learn that they're willing to do the time to do the crime.

I realize I am in the minority when it comes to dog owners-at-large, but I'm one of those who doesn't believe in unsupervised dogs in the yard. If my DS is out in the 1/2 acre fenced yard, them I'm with her.

However, you wanted a dog that wants to be with you, right? My Geyser has zero interest in hanging in the yard if I'm not out there with her. She's an only dog, tho, and that might be different if she had a couple of doggie roommates to hang outside with.

Also, while most DS are very protective, they're more of a deterrent than actual protectors, in the sense that you couldn't count on one to necessarily attack someone on your behalf. Even dogs that have strong protection sport backgrounds can't be counted on to actually attack people when it comes to a real life deal. That's not a problem, tho, as most people take one look at a DS (or similar kind of breed), and decide you don't look like such an easy mark. And, you can teach your dog to bark nasty on cue, in the event that you think you'd like to warn someone off.

They will bark like mad if someone approaches your property, and most likely, your vehicle when you're out in the world, or if someone comes up to your house. That's a great deterrent.
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
woods witch
Just Whelped
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm
Tell us about yourself: stay at home mom, married, outdoorsy family looking for our first dutchie. very experienced dog people
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania

Re: Hello from Southeast Pennsylvania!

Post by woods witch »

I don't disagree about the electric fence. I know they pose a risk on several levels. I appreciate the feedback!
Carolyn
User avatar
katm4110
Green Dog
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 pm
Tell us about yourself: about to adopt first dog.... 3 year old Dutch Shepherd from a rescue.... looking for tips!

Re: Hello from Southeast Pennsylvania!

Post by katm4110 »

I have only had my DS since Sunday so I can't answer most of your questions but my DS is always right by me during the day and husband or oldest son(8) in the evening. She's a great companion.


Even though our yard is fenced I don't let her out unless someone is with her.
Laura, stay at home mom to 5 human babies, and two rescue dogs Stella (DS) and Nico (brindled hound mix?)
Post Reply