Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
wildyamms
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 pm
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: NJ, US

Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by wildyamms »

Hi All,

I've been browsing this forum every now and then for the past three months, and decided that I have nothing to lose by joining. I recently rescued my lil guy, Zeppelin, from a high kill shelter in South Carolina. He was 12 weeks old, had worms and mange, and didn't even weigh 10 pounds. I'm happy to report that he is now a very happy and very healthy 6 month old. Anyway, because I literally picked him up from the kill shelter where he only had an ID#, I really don't know a lot about him. The vet says he's almost positive that he's mainly Dutch, but he says there could be a mix due to his size (although I think he's on track with the growth of a Dutch Shepherd). So I just have questions and want to learn about the breed and get feedback on my lil man. I suppose that's all. Thanks for providing this forum, and thanks in advance for any tips/advice you guys may provide!
Dennis & Ashley
Zeppelin, dutch pup
Brooklyn, senior pitbull/gsd
Simba, senior chow/retriever
Guinness, senior black lab
Bono, young black lab/border collie
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by felixone123 »

welcome!! thanks for saving your boy. Post some pics so we can see :angel:
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Thanks for saving a life ! Welome and yes.......we need pictures.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
wildyamms
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 pm
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: NJ, US

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by wildyamms »

Here's the lil man, Zeppelin!

This was taken after treatment for worms & mange:
Image

He loves the car..
Image

When we first noticed his flipped out fur
Image

Playing at the dog park
Image

Guarding the house
Image

The day my ears finally stood up
Image

King of the couch
Image

And a close-up
Image

I haven't had the chance to upload any recent photos, but he just turned 6 months. He's 40 pounds and 22 inches in height (haven't measured length yet). Seems to be on track with a Dutch, although he is extremely slender; there's not a bit of muscle on this guy as of yet. But that's my lil cutie. Not sure what else he could be, vet suggested whippet, but I don't see it.
Dennis & Ashley
Zeppelin, dutch pup
Brooklyn, senior pitbull/gsd
Simba, senior chow/retriever
Guinness, senior black lab
Bono, young black lab/border collie
User avatar
TexasMedy
Puppy
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 am
Tell us about yourself: Hello Everyone,

My wife and I live north of Houston in Spring, TX. We have 3 kids, age 17, 19 and 20. We have a Dutch Shepherd, 3 Dalmatians and a Maltipoo.
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by TexasMedy »

He's a good looking boy. And such expressive eyes! he looks very Dutch Shepherd to me. Thanks for rescuing him. He's a lucky guy.
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by Sugars Mom »

Awww, he is soooo cute!

Welcome to the forum :cool:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by felixone123 »

love the day his ears stood up pic!!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome and thanks for saving a life!

WHIPPET??? :shock: Looks very Dutch to me.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by Marjolein »

welcome!
Nice looking dog! Love the ears :)
The white on the mouth throws me off a bit, shepherd with akita? I see no mask... that is what is confusing me, as long as he is a nice dog, no problems :D
Image
wildyamms
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:02 pm
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: NJ, US

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by wildyamms »

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to upload some more pics in a few (I've noticed you guys love being spammed with pics lol :D ) . He's definitely a great dog, extremely intelligent, eager to please, and an overall love bug...not to mention, absolutely adorable! Also, we recently visited the vet's office, and he informed me that he believes the shelter in SC fudged his age. He determined this based on his teeth; he's estimating that Zeppelin is somewhere between 4 and 5 months.

I think I'll head to the general discussion area to post pics, to get opinions on what exactly my lil man is. As far as I can tell, he's only missing the black mask and ears (but they stand up every now and again, so I'm sure they'll be up in due time).
Dennis & Ashley
Zeppelin, dutch pup
Brooklyn, senior pitbull/gsd
Simba, senior chow/retriever
Guinness, senior black lab
Bono, young black lab/border collie
jjohnsice
Puppy
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:50 pm
Tell us about yourself: jsut lost my maggie p of 14 yrs, never knew what breed she was until someone on a degenerative mylthopia noticed her pics and told me what she was. the most loyal, intelligent, athleic, loving dog a person could ever ask for.
Location: Little Rock,AR
Contact:

Re: Hello from New Jersey (not the shore)

Post by jjohnsice »

i wouldn't trade that dog for a million dollars.... you have had the good fortune of having adopted one the greatest treasures you will ever know in life.. lucky you.
john h
the departed maggie p
Post Reply