Hi from North Dakota

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
debmac
Puppy
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd rescue, Tess. She is my first Dutchie. I have always had German Shepherds and have trained and worked them as search and rescue dogs. My hope is that Tess will take this road also
Location: Anamoose, ND

Hi from North Dakota

Post by debmac »

Hello to you all,

My name is Deb. I currently reside in North Dakota with my husband where we farm. We moved here from Maryland 6 years ago. I am a registered nurse and teach nursing students. I have always had GSD's, my last boy died a month ago at age 13. I was a canine search specalist for Virginia Task Force-1 and also did wilderness search and cadaver work with my dogs when we lived in MD. I loved search and miss that so much. The wide variety of training that is required is challenging and rewarding.

I adopted my first Dutch Shepherd 2 weeks ago. Her name is Tess and is approx. 2 years old, but acts much younger at times. I am in love!! She was rescued by Midwest Animal Rescue from a shelter near Des Moines, IA. Nothing is known about her background. She is not a runner, so who knows. She is on the small side, 54 lbs, but is in good shape.She bonded to me immediately. She is very quick to learn, observant and protective. At this point her food drive is the strongest drive, but am working on her prey/play drive and am seeing good development. It does not look like she has been encourged to play in the past. She loves the 2 ball game, and we now have a good "out". I've been using the clicker to shape behaviors and now have a down, sit, wait, come, and out. VERY quick to learn and retain. She has no dog or cat aggression. Will eye up the cats, but doesn't chase. She does like to make the chickens jump. The only problem I have had is a bit of what I think is fear aggression towards my husband. She is fine with him outside, but in the house will growl when he comes downstairs and when he moves from the kitchen to the living room, iffy sometimes when he comes in the front door. She bit him once the third day. Thank goodness he loves dogs, likes her and is willing to work with me on this. I think I am getting it under control as there are fewer and fewer times of this behavior as the days go by. She responds to "leave it" when she is blocking his walking and comes quickly to me. She continues to watch him very closely. I spoke with her foster dad when this first happened- they had none of this behavior. But she had gone to an adoptive home a week before I got her, it lasted 2 days. When he investigated for me, he got a different story than originally told and the behavior described is very similar to what I see. I am certainly open to thoughts and suggestions.

My plans for Tess are to train her for search and rescue. I miss being involved and there are very few canine resources here in our remote area. We've started some light agility, play and obedience. I think she will be very good candidate. Now to find some good decoys!

I am very strongly considering getting another DS. The more I work with her and the more I research the breed, I want another. We have always been a multidog household and I love to train.

'm so happy to have found this forum and look forward to "talking" with you all. :D
Deb McAvoy
Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH


Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Welcome ! :wave:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Deb and Tess!

What a great intro, and it'll be nice to have you around (another training junkie is always welcome :mrgreen: )
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
TexasMedy
Puppy
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 am
Tell us about yourself: Hello Everyone,

My wife and I live north of Houston in Spring, TX. We have 3 kids, age 17, 19 and 20. We have a Dutch Shepherd, 3 Dalmatians and a Maltipoo.
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by TexasMedy »

Welcome! Sorry for your loss of your boy.
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
User avatar
TexasMedy
Puppy
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 am
Tell us about yourself: Hello Everyone,

My wife and I live north of Houston in Spring, TX. We have 3 kids, age 17, 19 and 20. We have a Dutch Shepherd, 3 Dalmatians and a Maltipoo.
Location: Spring, TX

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by TexasMedy »

Welcome! Sorry for your loss of your boy.
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
debmac
Puppy
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: I recently adopted a 2 year old Dutch Shepherd rescue, Tess. She is my first Dutchie. I have always had German Shepherds and have trained and worked them as search and rescue dogs. My hope is that Tess will take this road also
Location: Anamoose, ND

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by debmac »

Thanks for the welcome.
Leih- One of my dogs came from near Charlottesville- from Molly Graff. Super dogs and a wonderful trainer.

Here is a photo of my Tess. Hopefully I've posted it correctly.
Image
Deb McAvoy
Tess- DS
Echo- GSD
Rowdy - BC/BH


Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Willing is not enough; we must do." ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Image
User avatar
alspyce
Working Dog
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:51 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am in New York State. Got my first DS about 14 years ago (more or less as a rescue- lost her in Nov.). After years of GSD's, and a few dogs of other breeds (Rotti/Beauceron/Ger. Shorthaired Pointer/ Yorkie and my current Jack Russell) I now have another DS, 4mo female, no name yet, tho I have a few in mind.
Also have a horse-old quarter horse mare-32.
Can't wait for all the snow to get gone! Spring is coming too slow this year!
Location: Corinth, New York

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by alspyce »

Welcome! Pretty girl!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France
Chris Carlton/Lyric
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by leih merigian »

Molly's since moved away from here (which I'm sure you already know :mrgreen: ).

Nice pic!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: Hi from North Dakota

Post by felixone123 »

welcome!! Congrats on your girl who is quite lovely.
Barbara, Odin & Kai
Post Reply