New to the forums.

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
101N
Just Whelped
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 am
Tell us about yourself: Just adopted a puppy.
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

New to the forums.

Post by 101N »

Hi I just adopted a puppy from the city shelter about a month ago. The people there said she was some kind of mastiff mix (probably because of the brindle coloring) but aside from her fur she looks absolutely nothing like any mastiff I've ever seen. I had never heard of a dutch shepherd until the other night but people kept telling me she looked like some kind of shepherd because of her ears. I looked up pictures of shepherd breed dogs last night on the internet and found pictures of dutch shepherds and she looks very similar to them. I also read that they are extremely intelligent and this dog had almost all of her basic commands down within a matter of two days. Furthermore, she is almost impossible to tire out and can be extremely stubborn when she chooses to be.

I was just wondering based on her picture whether she might be some kind of dutch shepherd mix? Thanks so much =)
Attachments
Misty (480x640).jpg
Misty (480x640).jpg (238.22 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Anceline
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: New to the forums.

Post by LyonsFamily »

She could possibly be a Dutch mix, but it's hard to tell from that picture alone. Those ears look huge! and floppy, but it might be because she's upside down. Can you get a standing shot and a good profile of her head?
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: New to the forums.

Post by felixone123 »

welcome!! She does look dutch - and yes, a standing pic could help. Thank you for getting her out of a shelter.
how old?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
101N
Just Whelped
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:06 am
Tell us about yourself: Just adopted a puppy.
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: New to the forums.

Post by 101N »

Thanks for the quick replies =) She actually did start off with completely floppy ears kind of like a lab when we first got her (I have a picture which I posted) and at that point she didn't really look like a shepherd at all to me. Then, it seemed like overnight her ears started sticking up and that's when we noticed that yes they are absolutely gigantic! We also noticed she has a black face mask and recently her muzzle seems to be getting longer.

Right now her ears are in this kind of weird stage. Sometimes they're both up, sometimes they kind of fall over to the side, sometimes the tips flop over and sometimes one is completely up while the other is down. According to the shelter she is about 4.5 to 5 months right now but because she came in as a stray almost nothing is known about her.

Unfortunately I realized I don't have any standing pictures of her but I did post some more recent photos of her at least upright and sitting down.
Attachments
Another more recent picture
Another more recent picture
IMG_20121107_073844 (480x640).jpg (202.67 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
More Recent
More Recent
IMG_20121107_073518 (480x640).jpg (170.39 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Floppy ears when we first got her
Floppy ears when we first got her
Floppy Ears (480x640).jpg (195.98 KiB) Viewed 1848 times
Anceline
User avatar
wahinelf
Green Dog
Posts: 246
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I recently moved from CA to MA (10/12), Ellie (my 4 year old DS mix) and I are adjusting together!
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: New to the forums.

Post by wahinelf »

She's adorable, congrats.

Love the first pic you posted, looks really DS-ey to me, the flop makes me think mix though - I'm sure a lot of folks on the forum know more about ear standing up timing though.

Super cute!
-Aubrey

Image

Eleanor CGC FM TF-II, my 5YO DSX
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New to the forums.

Post by Marjolein »

what a cute dog!
Hard to tell breed she is.
When I saw the ear shape in the first pic, they are rounded at the tip, not pointy, so I thought it wasn't DS. But the following pics...could be.
I am sure tho, that it is a ver cute looking pup! 8-)
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: New to the forums.

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Very cute! Thanks for rescueing. Time will tell about the ear thing.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: New to the forums.

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Anceline and Misty (?) Thank you for rescueing!
I don't see Mastiff at all. Maybe a dash of dane, since those are large (shaped) ears for a DS, but who knows?
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New to the forums.

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome! Very cute doggie!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Post Reply