Hi, new to forum - MN hobby farm owners

For our new members to introduce themselves
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hi, new to forum - MN hobby farm owners

Post by vneerland »

hawksnest wrote:Sorry Judith! I guess I take direction about as well as our dog. :)
No apologies needed! Thanks you for your good sense of humor regarding the request! 8-)
Sorry to hear about your ducks. I loved our ducks. We had a cayuga and a orpington/cayuga mix. When our first duck died, the other duck started acting just like a chicken. Do you have horses? It looks like you are in a stable in that one pic. How do your dogs do around them? We boarded horses for several years when we first moved to the farm. When the weeds took over our pasture, we realized we had no idea how to manage pasture and had to start over, that's when we decided to try the veggie farming. It's been great so far!
I don't blame my brindles for the ducks demise. I fear a drought left them with not enough water to out swim the predators, and I did not have a coop to put them up in at night. No more ducks until I can keep them safe at all times.
Yes, that is a horse barn pic. ;) Most dogs are good with it. Some need..uh...guidance. My mare will offer guidance if needed :lol: but that's not how I want the interaction to take place. I hear you on pasture management. Overgrazing happens easily.
Another question for you as a moderator: is there a forum topic thread for hobby farm owners and the chicken problem? or a cat problem? If not, can one be created? I would be willing to document and share my experience working with Copper through the assistance with Bryan Pulliam's video. (stopchickenkillerdogs.com) Our local trainer http://www.warrensdogstop.com has agreed to learn the system and work with us. I am cautiously optimistic and my kids are happy. After Copper killed our last bunch of chickens and our beloved duck Oiva, I was ready to take him back to the Humane Society.
There is no such topic. I will run it by the owner and other mods, and see what they say. So far, I believe topics would fit under 'behavior' but let me get some feedback from them on it too, before I open my mouth.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
User avatar
MeganBays
Green Dog
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:18 am
Tell us about yourself: I have a small kennel breeding working line Dutch Shepherds, and just stumbled on this forum while browsing the internet. We train our dogs in police K9 work primarily, with hopes of being able to compete in the near future.

Re: Hi, new to forum - MN hobby farm owners

Post by MeganBays »

Here's a video of one the members here, Selena, and her husband working one of their dogs with chickens as a bit of a distraction during bitework:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0W8ZRBh ... 4efEfJm2lQ

Duvel isn't a stripey, but Selena and Dick are well known for the working line Dutch Shepherds. ;) Video isn't really relevant to behavior modification but I just love watching Duvel scatter the chickens going in for a bite and felt the need to share it this morning! LOL

Welcome to the board btw. :)
Post Reply