Hi everyone,
My name is Nico. I am about to be a 1st time DS owner (next two weeks)and I have a slew of questions that keep cropping up. I grew up with Rhodesian Ridgebacks and an Irish Wolfhound, (not to mention some chickens and a goat). I am really excited to have a dog back in my life but am approaching the whole affair rigorously. I want Cola (that will be her name) to have a fulfilling life. I want to provide her with mental and physical activity to stimulate and challenge her. in all honesty that's the only way any of us grow and change isn't it? I work from home and set my own schedule for the most part so I will have time to spend with her. As well we live just steps from a big park where she can run around, play on the jungle gym, sprint with me etc etc. I am currently reading the "4H Guide" for Dog Training, for a refresher course in the basics and "From Puppy to Working, Sporting or Police Dog" by Dick Staal, for something more suited to the breed specifically. (i think i picked up the recommendation off this forum). I am looking forward to communicating with you guys and will give back what I can.
all the best,
Nico
Hello from Brooklyn NY
- Nico
- Puppy
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico
Hello from Brooklyn NY
Nico, Molly and Cola
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Congratulations !!!! Cant wait to see pictures.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Welcome here Nico. Thank you for your intro. Where is your pup coming from? What made you want a Dutch Shepherd?
I assume your first brindle? 
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Nico
- Puppy
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
dutchringgirl: Thanks! I will definitely be posting pictures as soon as I pick her up.
vneerland: Thank you for the nice welcome. My pup is coming from Northwoods/Thunderhawk Canine, she is part of the C litter that was recently announced (Tommy and Ziva pup). I got acquainted with and subsequently fascinated by the breed last year in California. I had been staying with a friend of mine in santa cruz. he has a cane corso who was attending k9 training courses, and I got to see some Mals at various stages of training over there. It was pretty impressive. Shortly there after I got the chance to meet a DS by the beach and was highly impressed. he was obviously aesthetically stunning, but what was more impressive was his composure and presence. i am sorry i didnt catch his name, (or the owner's for that matter) but it definitely planted a seed in my mind. Since then I have done a lot of research on the breed, all it's particularities, nuances, history, coats, breeding, disposition,etc. Soooo about a year later I am researching Schutzhund clubs in NY (cant find any in the 5 boroughs) Nj and Long Island, reading books on training, buying toys, researching foods, LOL.
in answer to your final question, Yes. This will be the first dog I have ever had with a brindle coat.
am sure you wil be hearing a lot from me on here. thanks again.
Nico, Molly and Cola
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
welcome!!!
you will be getting an awesome beast from Christie!! Can't wait to see a pic of her. I have been following/seeing all of those puppies on their FB page - they are to die for!!
you will be getting an awesome beast from Christie!! Can't wait to see a pic of her. I have been following/seeing all of those puppies on their FB page - they are to die for!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Welcome Nico and almost-Cola!
cool name for your pup! flows right off the tongue...
cool name for your pup! flows right off the tongue...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Nico
- Puppy
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Thanks Lieh and Felix, I appreciate the warm welcomes! I have been looking at facebook for the 1st time in my life to keep up with the development of these little ones. They really are beautiful.
lieh- glad you like the name, my wife named her. She liked the name and it ended up making sense on a number of levels, both color-wise and for the fact that it was the C litter.
all the best!
lieh- glad you like the name, my wife named her. She liked the name and it ended up making sense on a number of levels, both color-wise and for the fact that it was the C litter.
all the best!
Nico, Molly and Cola
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
I personally would have preferred to call my Dutch Shepherd "Nico" but Cola is nice too.
(One of my own DS's is Nico) I will be nice to see one of Christie's brindles grow up on this board.
Will she (?) be home for Christmas?
(One of my own DS's is Nico) I will be nice to see one of Christie's brindles grow up on this board.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- Nico
- Puppy
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Hi. yeah she will def be home for x-mas. glad you like MY name. lol.
Nico, Molly and Cola
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Congratulations!
It's really nice to see some one who has done some researched into these dogs before getting one after an encounter. I love the name too! You know it is mandatory to post lots of puppy pics when you get her.
Choochi
- Nico
- Puppy
- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 am
- Tell us about yourself: Hello everyone, I live in Brooklyn New York. I am about to bring a female Dutch Shepherd puppy into my house, and though she isn't here yet I have a ton of questions I want to know the answers to before she arrives on the scene. Looking forward to being an active member of the community and contributing what I can. Thanks,
Nico
Re: Hello from Brooklyn NY
Hi Choochi. Pleased to meet you! As much research as I do I still feel unprepared! Theory and practice I guess. Anyhow I am aware of and ready for the commitment. Headed to TN to pick her up next weekend! And yes, there will be plenty of pics.
Nico, Molly and Cola


Facebook page.