I work at a vet hospital as a technician and occasionally the local shelter brings in dogs for testing, exams, etc. A few weeks ago a puppy was brought in that tested positive for parvo virus. Now, the local shelter has no money whatsoever, so they were going to euthanize due to the positive test result. The doctor that was seeing the appointment is pregnant and slightly hormonal and she offered up our hospital to adopt this puppy. I went in to see her and gave her some fluids and said to my coworkers,"Whoever gets this puppy will have a handful." She went through some really rough days of treatment, but pulled through. It was actually very impressive...I kept reiterating how she would need serious training. And of course, being the most vocal about her need for training and a firm hand yadayada...I adopted her. She had been labeled a "shepherd mix," but she is unlike any mix I've ever seen. I originally thought German Shepherd meets Greyhound? But that really doesn't make sense. But then again, neither does parvo infected Dutch Shepherd.
I later found out a little more on her background. She was found on a local street tied to a post. Okay, not that much background, but its not like she was an owner surrender. Anyone that would go through the trouble of finding a Dutch Shepherd through a breeder wouldn't tie it to a post. Right?
Either way, she's roughly 5-6 months old, now parvo free, 26ish lbs and growing. She has a notch in one ear from a dog fight I'm guessing...but otherwise they stand straight up. Some white patches on her back two feet and a tiny inch of white on her chest. But its uncanny how DS she looks. But I figured you guys would know better. Let's see if I can get some pictures up.
Also, its coming up on two weeks of her being in my apartment (yes, apartment...don't worry, moving soon), and she is doing really well on obedience training - just very nippy.





Facebook page.






Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 