New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
structural
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: Civil Engineer living in Ontario Canada. We have a shepherd mix dog thats about 4 years old and a dutch shepherd born July 16, 2012.
Location: Barrie, Ontario

New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by structural »

Hello all,

My wife and I bought a Dutch Shepherd pup a couple months ago. I probably came across this site like most just looking for more information. We have a rescue shepherd mix that is going on 4 years old but we really don't know how old he is. They are both quite high energy dogs so they work well together and tire each other out all day long.

My wife is leery about training for bite work and having a "family" dog, so I think we'll stick with scent work and hunting training. I'm amazed at her intelligence and her drive to perform at the limited training she's done so far.

Heres some pictures since everybody likes pictures.

Holly's first day
Image

Sleepy
Image

Taking care of a stuffed frog
Image
Image

Playing with big bro Bandit
Image

Holly at about 4.5 months
Image
Richard
Holly (Dutch Shepherd)
Bandit (Shepherd Mix)
Image
User avatar
felixone123
Working Dog
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
Location: Fishkill, NY

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by felixone123 »

Welcome!! Holly is just so adorable!! Congrats.

I felt the same way about bite work, but we have an excellent master trainer who knows what he is doing and that will make all the difference in the world. Getting the right trainer is key, in my opinion.

Where is your pup from?
Barbara, Odin & Kai
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by feraloup »

Ohhhhh my god, too adorable! :D
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
structural
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: Civil Engineer living in Ontario Canada. We have a shepherd mix dog thats about 4 years old and a dutch shepherd born July 16, 2012.
Location: Barrie, Ontario

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by structural »

We got her from a breeder in ontario called Strike Force K9. Nice lady who runs it, very knowledgable and helpful. But I think most of her dogs go to police / military type work. Both parents were on site (as well as 3-4 other dutch shepherds), really nice dispositions while being really driven for there work. Her dad had the first schutzhund designation and mom did bedbug and termite detection.
Richard
Holly (Dutch Shepherd)
Bandit (Shepherd Mix)
Image
User avatar
anniewang83
Puppy
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.
Location: New York City

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by anniewang83 »

Welcome! Holly looks adorable - you are so lucky!!!
Where in Ontario are you? I used to live in Kingston, ON while I was young for 4 years and still have great memories... :mrgreen:
Nick & Annie (humans)
Amber (Dutchie)
currently living in New York City
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Structural,

Very cute pup you have there! Glad you found us...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by Schlussdibusti »

welcome!

Very cute!
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
User avatar
structural
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: Civil Engineer living in Ontario Canada. We have a shepherd mix dog thats about 4 years old and a dutch shepherd born July 16, 2012.
Location: Barrie, Ontario

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by structural »

We live a little north of Orillia on Sparrow Lake. I grew up around Hamilton though.
Richard
Holly (Dutch Shepherd)
Bandit (Shepherd Mix)
Image
User avatar
Choochi
Training Dog
Posts: 350
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by Choochi »

AWWW she's so precious!! Welcome to the board! You will find this is a great place for information and sharing stories with other Dutchie lovers!

I know your breeder, we're good friends, I know your pup's parents (Zoe and Farve), and I have played with your pup and might have some pics of her when she was about 4/5wks old :D
Choochi
User avatar
structural
Just Whelped
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: Civil Engineer living in Ontario Canada. We have a shepherd mix dog thats about 4 years old and a dutch shepherd born July 16, 2012.
Location: Barrie, Ontario

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by structural »

Small world! when we stopped by to check out the pups, Farve was going crazy because I think two females were in heat.
Richard
Holly (Dutch Shepherd)
Bandit (Shepherd Mix)
Image
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: New Dutch Shepherd owner in Canada.

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome, nice pup, is the frog still alive?? :D
Image
Post Reply