Howdy y'all,
My name is Mykal and I've been a dog owner my whole life but Harvey, 8 months, is my first Dutch Shepherd. Before I joined the military my family bred and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks. Now I'm working on transferring to K9 within the air force (handling Belgian malinois).
I joined mainly because even though I've researched the breed you can't beat asking fellow owners when you have a question.
Harvey's background is an interesting one. He was a rescue dog who found his way to a couple on base who didn't take care of the poor guy and they ditched him offbase. He was later found downtown extremely underweight and had an infection in his eye. Since he was chipped by the original couple who rescued him they got him back and nursed him back to health. Unfortunately, his right eye will remain milky but he still seems to see rather well from it still things considered.
Despite his rough early puppyhood he's a very loving well disciplined dog with great potential.
first time dutch owner
- Manstrom
- Puppy
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 am
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a 23 year old military member who just got my first Dutch shepherd. I've grown up my whole life with various breeds and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks for several years prior to joining the service.
- Location: Valdosta Georgia
first time dutch owner
- Attachments
-
- 201723_10151591866633569_1599034139_o.jpeg (255.2 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
"A German Shepherd does what you tell it to, a Malinois does it before you tell it, a Dutch Shepherd does it before you think it"
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
-RIP Chance, 12 year old rhodesian ridgeback
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
-RIP Chance, 12 year old rhodesian ridgeback
- feraloup
- Training Dog
- Posts: 352
- Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
- Location: VT
Re: first time dutch owner
Hello and welcome to the forum! 
I'm kind of new, here, and to Dutch Shepherds, myself, but I'm enjoying it immensley and learning a lot.
I love the picture, especially the laid-back grin he's got going on.
I think you'll find he'll function very well, even if he eventually loses all sight in that one eye.
I had a rottie/pit mix (the middle dog in my avatar photo) who had Progressive Retinal Atrophy and began losing his eyesight at a young age. He adapted so well, though, that many people had no clue he was blind unless I told them!
Since your handsome boy still has an unscathed eye and you mentioned the foggy one still seems to see as well, he'll probably do even better. I'm glad he landed a good home with a caring person after his rough start!
I look forward to hearing more about him. (And seeing more pictures!)
I'm kind of new, here, and to Dutch Shepherds, myself, but I'm enjoying it immensley and learning a lot.
I love the picture, especially the laid-back grin he's got going on.
I think you'll find he'll function very well, even if he eventually loses all sight in that one eye.
I had a rottie/pit mix (the middle dog in my avatar photo) who had Progressive Retinal Atrophy and began losing his eyesight at a young age. He adapted so well, though, that many people had no clue he was blind unless I told them!
I look forward to hearing more about him. (And seeing more pictures!)
Autumn Dufresne
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
- felixone123
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Rescued our first DS male on Dec 27, 2011. Approx 4 yrs. Rescued from NADSR. His name is Odin. Adopted a 2nd DS from NADSR June 27, 2012. Kai - 6 months.
- Location: Fishkill, NY
Re: first time dutch owner
hello and welcome. Love Harvey's smile!! Glad he has a better home now!!
Barbara, Odin & Kai
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: first time dutch owner
Welcome to the forum and thanks for rescueing Harvey! 
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: first time dutch owner
Welcome to the forum! I have a female English Setter, living with my parents now, with no/almost no vision in one of her eyes due to an accident when she was younger. The eye popped out of socket and she hurt the optic nerve before it could get put back in by the get. She doesn't see to notice and functions just fine.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: first time dutch owner
Welcome to the forum. What a lucky dog!! They do seem to be so prevalent around bases, but I am sure that is because so many soldiers see them working.....only to later find out that they aren't always a pleasure to live with. If you could, please visit the User Control Panel and create a signature with your name so we can remember you in future posts!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: first time dutch owner
Welcome, Mykal and Harvey! Lucky dog!
Well, I guess reading this post answered my question in your ears post
. Glad he doesn't have any nerve damage or whatever related to his ear (assuming, that is).
Well, I guess reading this post answered my question in your ears post
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- Manstrom
- Puppy
- Posts: 96
- Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 am
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a 23 year old military member who just got my first Dutch shepherd. I've grown up my whole life with various breeds and trained Rhodesian ridgebacks for several years prior to joining the service.
- Location: Valdosta Georgia
Re: first time dutch owner
He's been a sweet heart so far. Had an accident or two in the house but I'll stock that up to new house jitters since he's had no problems today. What gets me is how receptive to training he has been. The couple that had him told me that he loved to dash out of doors and now he'll sit and wait to he can move. I think he's realized he's met a human as stubborn as he is bahaha
"A German Shepherd does what you tell it to, a Malinois does it before you tell it, a Dutch Shepherd does it before you think it"
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
-RIP Chance, 12 year old rhodesian ridgeback
-Harvey, DS puppy
-Paul, gsd/lab/? Mix
-RIP Chance, 12 year old rhodesian ridgeback
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: first time dutch owner
Manstrom wrote: I think he's realized he's met a human as stubborn as he is bahaha
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
alexis
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Live in NYC with Zane


Facebook page.