Hello from Florida
- steph90
- Puppy
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Stephanie & Kodi
- Location: Florida
Hello from Florida
I just adopted my first Dutch Shepherd a few months ago. He is a great dog and i can't wait to learn more about his breed. I'm sure everyone here has some great stories about their dogs and i can't wait to hear 'em. In the short time that I've had my dog cody he has sure gotten himself into some crazy situations.
Lol. He is learning and growing at an amazing rate and I look forward to many years with him. 
Steph & Kodi from South Florida
-
chiroone
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I own only a rat terrier, but am extremely interested in the Dutch Shepherd breed as a pet/companion dog
Re: Hello from Florida
Greetings Steph, I am from Florida too, Bradenton to be exact. I am looking to also rescue/adopt a DS. Where did you adopt yours? I understans from another member of this forum that we have a lot of DS in shelters, not exactly sure why that is . good luck with your new addition.
Daniel
Florida; West Coast
Manus sapiens potens est
Florida; West Coast
Manus sapiens potens est
- steph90
- Puppy
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Stephanie & Kodi
- Location: Florida
Re: Hello from Florida
I am from Miami, Fl. Before I even knew what breed of dog I wanted to adopt, I had already made the decision to adopt from a shelter. When I discovered the Dutch Shep, I knew it was the breed for me but I wasn't sure I would ever find one in a shelter. I decided to wait a few months, and if nothing came up I would search for the nearest DS rescue group (although I don't like the idea of that, because there aren't any groups within driving distance and I would never want a dog flown to me before I could meet it). Sure enough a month after watching shelters online I saw Cody and adopted him a day later. He was listed as a mix, which isn't surprising because of how uncommon the breed is. I am not sure he is full DS but he sure has the looks and characteristics of one. The more he grows the more I'm convinced he is a full DS. Either way, I love him and he's a great dog. Anyway, he is a shelter pup, but there are always breed specific rescue groups if you don't want to buy from a breeder and you can't find one at a shelter. Good luck! 
Steph & Kodi from South Florida
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Hello from Florida
Welcome Steph!
He's a real cutie...looking forward to more pictures and puppy stories...
He's a real cutie...looking forward to more pictures and puppy stories...
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
Re: Hello from Florida
Welcome Steph90 (is your name steph?) Please create a signature line with your name so we know 'who is who' beyond our screen names.
Thank you for adopting a shelter pup.
It is so wonderful to see deserving animals get a chance to live a good life. Your pup's muzzle looks a little coarse for a DS, but I will admit that it is hard to judge from just one picture. And regardless: a good dog found a loving home, and that sounds like a perfect situation to me 
Thank you for adopting a shelter pup.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 
- steph90
- Puppy
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:48 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Stephanie & Kodi
- Location: Florida
Re: Hello from Florida
Yes my opinion on his breed changes daily.. haha. I''m sure he's part DS but he is starting to develop a deeper chest and more excess skin. Maybe it's just a lanky puppy stage.. I probably won't have any closer of an idea until he's full grown. Someone told me he looked like he had great dane in him yesterday.. theres a scary thought.
I'll try uploading some pictures in the photos section. Maybe I can hear some different ideas. Thanks for the welcomes
Steph & Kodi from South Florida
-
chiroone
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 15
- Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:08 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I own only a rat terrier, but am extremely interested in the Dutch Shepherd breed as a pet/companion dog
Re: Hello from Florida
Steph,steph90 wrote:Yes my opinion on his breed changes daily.. haha. I''m sure he's part DS but he is starting to develop a deeper chest and more excess skin. Maybe it's just a lanky puppy stage.. I probably won't have any closer of an idea until he's full grown. Someone told me he looked like he had great dane in him yesterday.. theres a scary thought.![]()
I'll try uploading some pictures in the photos section. Maybe I can hear some different ideas. Thanks for the welcomes
He is a cute little guy and must have a good bit of DS I m thinking. How did you know when the shelter had him, did you keep checking their web site or did they alert you?. In any case, I hope you enjoy the little guy greatly. Hope you guys are a little warmer on the east coast, we are still in the fridgid hi 50s here. Warm by comparasion to the rest of the country, but I guess it is true we Floridians have become wimps when it comes to cold weather
Daniel
Florida; West Coast
Manus sapiens potens est
Florida; West Coast
Manus sapiens potens est
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
- turnnburn52984
- Training Dog
- Posts: 274
- Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am
- Tell us about yourself: Lifelong animal person- I professionally trained horses before my children were born. New to DS's, but not new to high drive working dogs. :) Currently have a 1 1/2 yr old DS, Koenig, and a 2 yr old English Pointer Sara. They are both rescues. Oh yes, I work at a multi species non-profit animal rescue, on Bainbridge Island, WA
Want to know anything else, just ask! - Location: Tacoma, WA


Facebook page.
