Searching in South Carolina/SE for a SH DS!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
MaliNut
Puppy
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm
Tell us about yourself: Well...it's a transition really. Had my final GSD from 1996 to 2009-she's over the Rainbow Bridge now); then moved over to Belgian Mals. Now I've DS fever looking to get SH silver brindle sib(in my dreams) for my 5 yo Male Mal Razor!

Thanks for having me onboard-I am here to learn all I can about Dutch SHepherds...although after 3.5 yrs of Mals I still wonder if I am really ever going to figure it out!

Searching in South Carolina/SE for a SH DS!

Post by MaliNut »

Hi Everyone!

My name is Greg; and I from South Carolina. I used to be a normal guy. Then after my beloved GSD, Samantha, of 13 yrs crossed the Rainbow Bridge I adopted a Belgian Malinois from ABMC Rescue. His name is Razor!

Now I've gone MalNuts about this dog going on 3.5 years-we are best buddies!

Well Razor is a high drive boy and get's what he wants so he sez to me....

"I want a brother or sister to share my forever home".

How can I say no?

So I am searching around for sibs and I see this striking breed I had not seen before-the Dutch Shepherd!

Well....that's all it took as I am searching high and low for a sibling for brother Razor and I came here to educate myself about the breed and, more importantly, make new friends!

So Happy New Year everyone and thank you so much for having Razor and I on board the Dutch Shepherd forum!

Cheers...

Greg and Razor Sharp :player:
Vrijheid's "Our Ninja TAKI"- Dutch Shepherd born 5/15/13-1 Yr old!!!
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Searching in South Carolina/SE for a SH DS!

Post by LyonsFamily »

Welcome to the forum! How great that you rescued a Malinois and you're back looking for more high drive. They are very addictive and I keep promising myself I won't get a second until Odin gets his agility championship.

Are you looking for a rescued DS as well, or a puppy? Have you put in your app for North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue? They get dogs all the time, but only a handful make it out for the public to see as many are sent to pre-approved homes right away. Without an application in, it can look like there aren't any dogs available.

As far as the breed goes, they're very similar to the mals. I only had mal experience before adopting Odin and there weren't any surprises. I was actually at a foster home looking at a malinois to adopt when this brindle boy came downstairs and stole my heart. You'll find lots of useful information on here to help you with your search.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Searching in South Carolina/SE for a SH DS!

Post by feraloup »

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing stories of your dog-related adventures. :)
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
MaliNut
Puppy
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:15 pm
Tell us about yourself: Well...it's a transition really. Had my final GSD from 1996 to 2009-she's over the Rainbow Bridge now); then moved over to Belgian Mals. Now I've DS fever looking to get SH silver brindle sib(in my dreams) for my 5 yo Male Mal Razor!

Thanks for having me onboard-I am here to learn all I can about Dutch SHepherds...although after 3.5 yrs of Mals I still wonder if I am really ever going to figure it out!

Hello from sunny South Carolina/SE Searching for a SH DS!

Post by MaliNut »

Stephanie(and Odin)...

Thanks furr the welcome!

Oh...Rescues Rule!!!!

I did apply at the NADSR and luckily I found "Xander" ( one of Johninny's 2 DS rescues)listed there on an alternate listing.

Hopefully, I will blessed to provide Xander a forever home!

Oh...as to the Mal-Power! Razor is going nuts right now tossing his XXL KONG up in the air-it just bonked me in the head. That means someone is going to get walked 5 miles...ME...LOL

I am relieved that there are similarities between the Malinois and the DS-cuz I am ready for anything now.

It just fantastic to meet you and all the other DS and Mal owners-I look forward to getting to know you all better and importantly-learn from you as to the DS diffs from the Mal.

Are DS's Velcro dogs like mals and like to talk? This guy Razor is stuck to my leg 24/7 and he signs a few hours a day-it's Malinuts!

Anyway...Stephanie...you and Odin have a fabulous weekend. I've got to run now. Literally

Cheers...Greg and Razor :DScool:
Vrijheid's "Our Ninja TAKI"- Dutch Shepherd born 5/15/13-1 Yr old!!!
Razor"...5 yr old Belgian Malinois -RIP my son; 12/13/13
Post Reply