Thinking about adopting

For our new members to introduce themselves
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by johninny »

ok if i move from long island? !!!!!!!!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
hoosierpat
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 am
Tell us about yourself: Former GSD owner, thinking about adopting a DS. We have one large shepherd mix and a Shih Tzu.

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by hoosierpat »

Leih,
I'm going to get a new crate on Friday. I'm a big proponent of crate training and there's no way that I will be letting him roam around the house when we're not home any time soon. I HATE choke collars but that's what the shelter gave him to me on. I prefer pinch but I'd really prefer them to walk off leash beside me. That's probably far off but that's the goal.

Brenda,
Thanks for all the links, I'm sure that I'll be using them.

Stephanie,
I actually grew up in Crete but now live in Beecher, 10 mins further south. I'd love to join you guys for some outings. I've got a few places that I already take my dogs for hiking, my favorite being Lemon Lake County Park in Cedar Lake, IN. They have a huge dog park and tons of trails and a 3 championship level disc golf courses which is another hobby of mine.

All,
I called today and the shelter agreed to put him on hold for me. I'll be picking him up on Saturday. Thanks for all the tips and encouragement, I'm sure I'll be a part of this forum for a few years to come.
Pat B.
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by feraloup »

Congrats!!! :D You'll have to share lots of pics with us when he gets settled in. I'm very excited for you! (And him! Sounds like he's landing a good home. You'll also havr to let us know what you decide on for a name when you get to that part.)

Cheers!
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by Schlussdibusti »

YEAH !!! :cheer:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by leih merigian »

Great...for all of you!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
hoosierpat
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:27 am
Tell us about yourself: Former GSD owner, thinking about adopting a DS. We have one large shepherd mix and a Shih Tzu.

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by hoosierpat »

I picked up Tonto today from the shelter. I had a very good conversation with the shelter director about him and what his experience has been so far. I got him home and took him for a long walk and then let him explore the house. I've run into my first obstacle though, he is extremely possessive over anything that he gets in his mouth, that includes toys and, even worse, he loves my fiancee's shoes. He won't touch mine but he's hooked on hers. I posted a more detailed explanation on the behavior section and I linked to it below.

Help!

http://www.dutchshepherdforum.com/viewt ... =23&t=2391
Pat B.
Boogies
Puppy
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 am
Tell us about yourself: Greetings from Wisconsin. I live on a small goat farm with a crazy Malinois, named Rocket, that I adopted 5 years ago. I rent the goats out for weed and brush control and Rocket saves me hours a day, herding goats into barns and trailers and watching the gates as I move between pens. He also pulls a little red sled with whatever I need hauled. Rocket's the 14th dog I've adopted since I used to prowl the shelters for fast dogs for my sled team. One of my sled dogs may have been a DS mix. She had the look and energy but was a solid black with white toes. Rocket is currently an only dog so we go skijoring instead of sledding.

Re: Thinking about adopting

Post by Boogies »

Skijoring, dog sledding or training your dog to pull you, safely on a trail, on your bicycle is a great way to condition your dog and burn off its excess energy. You'll need a proper sled dog harness but they aren't expensive.

I can start a thread on training and gear if any one is interested.


Boofies
Post Reply