Hello! I'm really excited to join this forum! I'm completely new here, haven't even lurked around yet before joining lol. Not to many people are familiar with the breed around where I live, so it will be great to get more familiar with the ins and outs of the breed in a forum like this.
This is my dog Andi:
8 weeks old:
5 months old:
about 18 months old:
He is a mix, anyone want to guess what the other half is? I know his parents so I can 'reveal' the answer if anyone cares to know.
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.
Tell us about yourself: Annie & Nick, first time owners of a dutch shepherd, named Amber, rescue from North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue (NADSR), fostered and trained by Kim Futch. Amber's favorite things to do are eating, chasing balls, chasing frisbees and napping with us in bed.
Tell us about yourself: Greetings from Wisconsin. I live on a small goat farm with a crazy Malinois, named Rocket, that I adopted 5 years ago. I rent the goats out for weed and brush control and Rocket saves me hours a day, herding goats into barns and trailers and watching the gates as I move between pens. He also pulls a little red sled with whatever I need hauled. Rocket's the 14th dog I've adopted since I used to prowl the shelters for fast dogs for my sled team. One of my sled dogs may have been a DS mix. She had the look and energy but was a solid black with white toes. Rocket is currently an only dog so we go skijoring instead of sledding.
Reminds me of one of my Mom's dog a while back. (except for color) It was "Doberman Shepherd" .
Color GSD, upright ears, coat halfway between the two in length , Doberman shaped face , legs, with slightly heavier body. When she let her ears relax straight out to the side, she looked ready for take-off..
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Well, for being so new, you sure do have our number, as you included great pics right off the bat!
I'm gonna go with DS/Dobie.
Glad you found us!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
I want to play, too.
my guess based on visuals is DS/greyhound.
[ but I suspect your last hint - with the dog ''pointing'' at you - that you were hinting some sort of pointer. nevertheless, I say greyhound - which would be a really super combo ]
Wow what an entrance Pics and a game and never even stalked the site Very impressive. He is a very good looking boy. I will go with the Doberman guess also. Welcome!
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Greyhound was my second choice...so eager to hear the answer
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Thanks for the welcome everyone, and this is the first time anyone has guessed his mix! He is Dutch Shepherd/Dobermann.
These are his parents:
At the time I had casually starting looking for a young GSD and I was pointed to this litter. I didn't really ask the breeders to many questions when I came to pick him up, I was a bit shy then. I don't know if the litter was an accident or why the dogs were crossed if not. Both these dogs were UKC registered and titled, as well as with PSA titles. The breeder did a bite demonstration with the Dobermann for me.
I am actually hoping to get in contact with the breeders again when I get involved with a kennel club that is near where I live (next state over though). Members there apparently know these two dogs. ETA* I was just thinking, it would be cool if they turned out to be members here lol
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
WOW. I wouldnt have guessed he was a mix until you put up the hint shot. He is very beautiful. I can see where he got his looks from. I do love dobies too !!!! I do hope thought the breeding was by accident
Yeah he looks particularly Dobie in that one shot, reminds me of a show stack. In person he just looks to me basically like a DS with a smoother coat (no undercoat). As he has matured, the Dobie gets less and less prominent, though he often carries his tail with a curl like an un-docked Dobie and has big Dobie feet with tight, arched toes.
Andi cost me $50 and the two pups that had already been homed at the time had just went to PSA homes. Nothing about the 'breeders' themselves or what they said either gave the impression they did it on purpose or that they didn't, so IDK.
Yeah he looks particularly Dobie in that one shot, reminds me of a show stack. In person he just looks to me basically like a DS with a smoother coat (no undercoat). As he has matured, the Dobie gets less and less prominent, though he often carries his tail with a curl like an un-docked Dobie and has big Dobie feet with tight, arched toes.
Andi cost me $50 and the two pups that had already been homed at the time had just went to PSA homes. Nothing about the 'breeders' themselves or what they said either gave the impression they did it on purpose or that they didn't, so IDK.
Just curious, what prompted you to take a look at a Dobe/DS cross anyway? Was it just the shepherd part that intrigued you? I'd be so afraid of getting my pants ripped off the second the litter spotted me.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA