Newbie from Michigan
-
bestlind
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in South-eastern Massachusetts with my husband and our three dogs. One of these is a 2 yr old Dutch Shepherd named Ember. I got her from NADSR in 2010. We like to compete in dock-diving and disc dog competitions and trying anything new!
- Location: Norton, MA
Newbie from Michigan
Hi! I am new to the forum and have enjoyed reading many of the posts over the last few days. I thought I would introduce myself so I can hopefully take part in some discussions. I have a DS named Ember that I got from NADSR last June. She is thought to be about 16 months now and has only reached 45lbs which I love. She has been wonderful and fun but definitely different than what I expected. I previously had a malinois that passed away in the spring so I have only really been able to compare her to him. I wanted a dog that would enjoy new challenges and sports as presented to them. We have been working away at Schutzhund which I really enjoy but it has been slow going. She didn't know what toys were when I got her so we have mostly been building drive and making everything FUN! She now can not contain herself at the sight of a ball or frisbee. We did some dock diving over the summer which has been a real surprise to me considering she didn't know how to swim and seemed like she had never been in the water. She followed my golden retriever though and has never looked back, jumping 16'9" to date. We've done some disc dog seminars with a great trainer here in Michigan so I am hoping to get a freestyle routine together for the summer. She is my first dog that is small enough to vault with! So thats us. I will hopefully get some pictures up but I am a notoriously bad picture taker and never have a camera around.
Lindsay Best
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
-
FG167
- Green Dog
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)
- Location: Michigan
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Welcome!! I'm also from MI! What club do you train with for Schutzhund?? She sounds like a wonderful dog!!! Can't wait for the pics 
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Hey Lindsay,
Welcome to the forum!! YAY! I am so glad to hear that Ember (aka Dakota) is doing so well! I love the dock diving aspect! I did a little of that with my older girl and she loved it!
In what ways do you think she differed from your malinois? I'm just curious. I know she was pretty reserved initially - that was one of the things that struck me about her. She just didn't warm up as fast as most. But I am wondering what else you notice in her personality??
I am looking forward to pictures - although I am very lazy about getting some myself!
Anyway, welcome again and I am looking forward to hearing the many happy tails and your insight on various training things!
Welcome to the forum!! YAY! I am so glad to hear that Ember (aka Dakota) is doing so well! I love the dock diving aspect! I did a little of that with my older girl and she loved it!
In what ways do you think she differed from your malinois? I'm just curious. I know she was pretty reserved initially - that was one of the things that struck me about her. She just didn't warm up as fast as most. But I am wondering what else you notice in her personality??
I am looking forward to pictures - although I am very lazy about getting some myself!
Anyway, welcome again and I am looking forward to hearing the many happy tails and your insight on various training things!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- Marjolein
- Working Dog
- Posts: 2078
- Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
- Location: Warbeyen, Germany
- Contact:
-
bestlind
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in South-eastern Massachusetts with my husband and our three dogs. One of these is a 2 yr old Dutch Shepherd named Ember. I got her from NADSR in 2010. We like to compete in dock-diving and disc dog competitions and trying anything new!
- Location: Norton, MA
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Thanks for the welcome, everyone! I was glad to see you were on here, Christie. Most of the differences have been with people. My malinois was pretty handler sharp and would attempt to correct people or challenge the ones he knew, especially my fiance. He loves strangers though and would spend most of his time leaning up against people and asking to be petted. He had no qualms about strangers at all. Ember on the other hand could not be better with us in the house. She loves everyone she knows and is super sweet and cuddly. You can do anything to her, move her, pick her up, etc. without a reaction. She has almost gotten worse with strangers, though. At first she was just scared and would shy away. Now as she has gotten more confident she will growl and occasionally bark. I have done some things with people giving her treats but then realized that if she had to stay in the area it would freak her out, then she would start to stare and then she would bark/lunge kind of. So instead I have been having her look at the person then rewarding for looking back at me. If I am going to stay around the person I just put her in a down/stay by me to kind of take the pressure off. This has by far been our biggest challenge. I would love her to be able to pass the BH temperment test but we have a ways to go. She has been calmer in the house than I imagined. She loves playing with my golden retriever and finds things to do. Since she is so young I thought this was going to be a bigger challenge than it has been. My malinois was ~ 9 when he passed and was just starting to settle well in the house on his own without being given direction. Maybe I am just getting better and more realistic about what to expect, not sure. I have enjoyed reading about other people's socialization challenges and look forward to more suggestions/ideas. Thanks again!
Lindsay Best
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
-
bestlind
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 23
- Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:00 am
- Tell us about yourself: I live in South-eastern Massachusetts with my husband and our three dogs. One of these is a 2 yr old Dutch Shepherd named Ember. I got her from NADSR in 2010. We like to compete in dock-diving and disc dog competitions and trying anything new!
- Location: Norton, MA
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Oh ya, I train with Gustavo Sanchez. I lived in Lansing until this summer so since our move to Rochester training time has been more difficult but we are just taking things slow and enjoying it. What part of Michigan are you from?
Lindsay Best
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
Ember, rescue Dutch Shepherd
Norton, MA
- vneerland
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1547
- Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
- Tell us about yourself: *
- Location: Tex@s
-
leih merigian
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Hey Lindsay!
Welcome from another Michigander ( well, originally from Highland Park, and lived in East Lansing, too; now I'm in VA).
Your DS is lucky to have someone who does so much with her!
Welcome from another Michigander ( well, originally from Highland Park, and lived in East Lansing, too; now I'm in VA).
Your DS is lucky to have someone who does so much with her!
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
-
FG167
- Green Dog
- Posts: 108
- Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:52 am
- Tell us about yourself: I am/have been involved in Dock Jumping, Agility, Rally, Tracking, Flyball and Search and Rescue and Schutzhund :-)
- Location: Michigan
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Ooops didn't see this until now. I'm from Grand Rapids. But, I drive to Battle Creek and occasionally Lansing for various dog sports.bestlind wrote:Oh ya, I train with Gustavo Sanchez. I lived in Lansing until this summer so since our move to Rochester training time has been more difficult but we are just taking things slow and enjoying it. What part of Michigan are you from?
- Kristie E
- Training Dog
- Posts: 321
- Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:09 am
- Tell us about yourself: I have had a DS for almost a year. Gwen and I are considering participating in PSA and or possible Ring Sport. I also have a Great Dane. I have grown up around working GSDs and my last GSD was a working K9 officer. I am all about dogs and animals in general and want to learn as much as I can about training.
Re: Newbie from Michigan
Hi, I used to live in Michigan as well!! Lansing and then Howell. I have heard of G. Sanchez but never trained with him. I still drive back and forth a few times a month (from Ohio) .. It is kind of exciting to see other people here that have DSs in Michigan.


Kristie
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve
Rommel's Guenhyvar (Gwenice the Menace) BH, PSA PDC sleeve


Facebook page.
Judith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds 