Should greet myself... from VT!

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
Sarahk
Just Whelped
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.

Should greet myself... from VT!

Post by Sarahk »

Hello all,
I've posted on a few topics so far, but since this seems like a rather small community I should introduce myself. My name is Sarah and I live in Vermont. I recently found out about the breed in February, fell in love, and decided I am going to get one! I currently have a Vizsla, which is a very high energy breed for those of you who are not familiar (but my family dog growing up is a Beagle--and still around!), and a cat who generally lives under the bed.

I have always wanted a Shepherd, and when I discovered this breed I was so excited because GSD's are so over-bred and have some issues that seem to be arising. I would like to own a DS within the year, as soon as some hopefully job advancing changes happen!

Thanks, and look forward to meeting some of you!
Sarah and Stig (VT)
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Should greet myself... from VT!

Post by Karin »

Hi Sarah.

Karin in CA waiting for my first DS... only 5.5 more weeks to go!!!! I have a pup on the ground in WA state. Just waiting... very impatiently as well. Welcome. I just joined the forum as well.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Should greet myself... from VT!

Post by feraloup »

Welcome! Sorry, I'd have greeted you sooner, but I have not been on the forum in over a week, I'm usually at least lurking and keeping up with activity here even if not posting much but alas. The past week and a half have not been normal and I'm trying to resurface a little.

I'm a fellow Vermonter and have my first Dutch, a nine month ol
d named Mokume. "Moko" for short. :) Saw you were "local" and wanted to give a shout-out!
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Should greet myself... from VT!

Post by Sugars Mom »

Welcome Sarah and Stig
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Sarahk
Just Whelped
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:24 pm
Tell us about yourself: Looking to get a DS in the near future.

Re: Should greet myself... from VT!

Post by Sarahk »

feraloup wrote:Welcome! Sorry, I'd have greeted you sooner, but I have not been on the forum in over a week, I'm usually at least lurking and keeping up with activity here even if not posting much but alas. The past week and a half have not been normal and I'm trying to resurface a little.

I'm a fellow Vermonter and have my first Dutch, a nine month ol
d named Mokume. "Moko" for short. :) Saw you were "local" and wanted to give a shout-out!

Whoa! Great to see another Vermonter! Whereabouts are you located? I met one couple with a DS in Burlington, and heard of another one in Burlington as well, so it's pretty interesting to find other people in a small state who know of the breed. I like it how not many people are aware of this breed... makes them so much more unique. I've contacted Asheley over at Vrijheid Kennels, because I think her dogs are so beautiful. Where did you get yours?
Sarah and Stig (VT)
Post Reply