Tell us about yourself: I am building a home in the jungle beach town of Nosara, Costa Rica. I came across the DS breed here, there is a breeder who trains police, military and home/office protection dogs. I have been looking for the right breed for my next dog for 2 years, I have come to like the breed very much. I like that the DS is a natural guard dog, but do not feel that this type of training fits in with my (home) California lifestyle, I would buy 2 fully trained protection dogs to live with me in CR, if I would live there full time. I have been training horses for 38 years, and personally trained all of the dogs I have ever had, I am excited to train my DS when I find the right puppy, it will be fun to have a dog that loves to learn all kinds of fun tricks and agility games, and loves to fetch. I travel a lot, and travel with my dog, besides having my dog with me almost everywhere I go, so I must have a dog that takes obedience training well, and likes a pack leader.
Hello Everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself My name is Trisha. I am looking for my first DS pup, so any help with US breeders would be greatly appreciated. I live on my property in Costa Rica right now, when finished with construction soon, I will be going back to my main home in California. I was introduced to DS's here in Costa Rica, there is a breeder/trainer here in my town. It is easy to get a pup here, but I am a little hesitant, as they are bred for military/police/drug and bomb sniffing/serious property and personal protection. He has bred the strongest dogs, with extra drive, pain tolerance and toughness, not too sure I need that type of breeding, nor do I want that kind of training. I feel that their natural guard dog sense, is enough for me in California. If I were to live full time in CR, I would have 2 fully trained attack dogs. I love working dogs, especially intelligent dogs that you can hold their attention, and enjoy training. I have been training horses most of my life, and every dog I have ever had. I take my dog everywhere with me, so I want a dog that can be trained to be very obedient, plus show off his/her tricks. I probably like playing fetch as much as a dog, on the throwing end of course, plus love a super athlete who excels in agility, my last dog, a Black Lab, was a super athlete, besides being incredibly obedient and loving, he was a great body surfer too
Looking forward to the boards!
Cheers! Trisha
Trisha & Puma
Ventura Co. California
Playa Guiones, CR.
Tell us about yourself: Hi there. I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-)) Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
along those same lines, 1 1/2 months ago, I got a DS pup 3 month old from paris tx as a stray. he is my 5th and best [ other than my first! ]. he could not be better in every way. his ''twin'' showed up in paris 2 weeks ago. he was quickly taken out of the pound and is judged by his jail-breaker to be just like my TeXan [ see pic elsewhere ]. obviously not sure if they are litter-mates or not, but very similar and I would guess - given the circumstances - coming from the same anonymous breeder. I took the risk with TeXan because he seemed out-of-the-ordinary - and that he is. all the confidence, sociability, physical prowess, daring, intelligence in spades, and eagerness to please that one could ever want in a DS. if this new one is indeed like TeXan, he would be quite the find! of course, if you are looking for documentation of parentage and all that, he would not do, but ....
I do not have pics of the new paris pup to post here, but if you wish to email me, if interested, I could email a photo or 2 that I have gotten from paris. meanwhile, to give a hint, these are pics of my paris pup - TexXan - taken on may 18, 1 day after arriving home, when he was 11 or 12 [?] weeks old, so now about 17 weeks.
I should note that neither TeXan nor the new texas pup ever made it onto the internet. the new pup is in a happy temp home and is getting rave reviews as did TxXan. so, if anyone else in interested...
Attachments
TxXan in grass 3.JPG (258.61 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
TxXan ans Saki strolling on beach.JPG (414.61 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
brindle puddle crossing beach.JPG (445.89 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
TxXan leaps on 1st visit to beach.JPG (120.85 KiB) Viewed 6118 times
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
I should have noted for size comparison that the other 2 DS in the pics are also pups, albeit older pups - so still growing! and that TeXan was 20 1/2 # in the photos, tho he can look more substantial due to his regal attitude.
Tell us about yourself: I am building a home in the jungle beach town of Nosara, Costa Rica. I came across the DS breed here, there is a breeder who trains police, military and home/office protection dogs. I have been looking for the right breed for my next dog for 2 years, I have come to like the breed very much. I like that the DS is a natural guard dog, but do not feel that this type of training fits in with my (home) California lifestyle, I would buy 2 fully trained protection dogs to live with me in CR, if I would live there full time. I have been training horses for 38 years, and personally trained all of the dogs I have ever had, I am excited to train my DS when I find the right puppy, it will be fun to have a dog that loves to learn all kinds of fun tricks and agility games, and loves to fetch. I travel a lot, and travel with my dog, besides having my dog with me almost everywhere I go, so I must have a dog that takes obedience training well, and likes a pack leader.
Thank you, Johninny and Karin. They look like great dogs, but I think I am going to go for a purebred for my first DS. I really want to bring home my new family member at 10 weeks, its been along time since I have had a very young pup, and I have always found them to be my best dogs. Could possibly be the nightmare I had with the 3 last dogs I adopted... You never know though, just the right dog could come along???
Trisha & Puma
Ventura Co. California
Playa Guiones, CR.
Tell us about yourself: In love with Dutch Shepherds for almost 20 years, I now breed them with love and passion. Settled in the south east of France, near the Italian border, I practice Mondioring with my dogs and also dog shows. Looking forward to sharing my passion with you all !! http://www.bergerhollandais.fr/
Tell us about yourself: Hi there. I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-)) Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.
Trisha,
FYI I am getting my puppy (IN 3 WEEKS!!!!) from Les Flores in Washington State. While I love the idea of rescue, I too wanted to do a puppy for my first DS. I just call him out as a reputable breeder in the western US. His kennel name is De Las Flores Kennel.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Tell us about yourself: I am building a home in the jungle beach town of Nosara, Costa Rica. I came across the DS breed here, there is a breeder who trains police, military and home/office protection dogs. I have been looking for the right breed for my next dog for 2 years, I have come to like the breed very much. I like that the DS is a natural guard dog, but do not feel that this type of training fits in with my (home) California lifestyle, I would buy 2 fully trained protection dogs to live with me in CR, if I would live there full time. I have been training horses for 38 years, and personally trained all of the dogs I have ever had, I am excited to train my DS when I find the right puppy, it will be fun to have a dog that loves to learn all kinds of fun tricks and agility games, and loves to fetch. I travel a lot, and travel with my dog, besides having my dog with me almost everywhere I go, so I must have a dog that takes obedience training well, and likes a pack leader.
Karin wrote:Trisha,
FYI I am getting my puppy (IN 3 WEEKS!!!!) from Les Flores in Washington State. While I love the idea of rescue, I too wanted to do a puppy for my first DS. I just call him out as a reputable breeder in the western US. His kennel name is De Las Flores Kennel.
Thanks Karin! I will look them up. Wishing much joy with your new family member!
Trisha & Puma
Ventura Co. California
Playa Guiones, CR.
Tell us about yourself: I am building a home in the jungle beach town of Nosara, Costa Rica. I came across the DS breed here, there is a breeder who trains police, military and home/office protection dogs. I have been looking for the right breed for my next dog for 2 years, I have come to like the breed very much. I like that the DS is a natural guard dog, but do not feel that this type of training fits in with my (home) California lifestyle, I would buy 2 fully trained protection dogs to live with me in CR, if I would live there full time. I have been training horses for 38 years, and personally trained all of the dogs I have ever had, I am excited to train my DS when I find the right puppy, it will be fun to have a dog that loves to learn all kinds of fun tricks and agility games, and loves to fetch. I travel a lot, and travel with my dog, besides having my dog with me almost everywhere I go, so I must have a dog that takes obedience training well, and likes a pack leader.
Karin wrote:Trisha,
FYI I am getting my puppy (IN 3 WEEKS!!!!) from Les Flores in Washington State. While I love the idea of rescue, I too wanted to do a puppy for my first DS. I just call him out as a reputable breeder in the western US. His kennel name is De Las Flores Kennel.
I am looking at their website... Looks like they might be a good breeder for me??? Looks like they do mainly working dogs, not attack/protection breeding. Can you tell me about your experience with them? I was talking with a another breeder, but thankfully was told about the experience someone had with them, so I am passing on getting a dog from them.
Trisha & Puma
Ventura Co. California
Playa Guiones, CR.
Welcome to the forum. i am new to the breed and have limited knowledge compared to a lot of the people on this site. I don't post a lot, been kind of busy but i thought I would chime in now since I have some experience with Les Flores line of DS. If Les Flores actually has puppies available I would think this would be a great option. If i were looking for a pup i would be talking to him. My 15 month old Dutch Shepherd comes from the same lines as Les Flores DS which is Le Dobry (my girl has same mother (Boya)as his current litter). I have been very pleased with everyxthing about my DS. She has high drive and loves to work but is also very pleasant, intellignet and well mannered member of our family. I think this probably describes most DS so it is not like i have a wrap on these qualities! I know Les is very close to Le Dobry kennels and is active with the breed (understatement). There are some shady breeders in the USA but he is not one of them. There are also several other very reputable breeders on this site if Les does not have a puppy.
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Eva, I have 2 DS - Sakima whom I got last Nov 16th on my Midwest odyssey in which I also got Xander. I had thought the demands of my life could fit only one dog, but I loved them both so much and they each other, I toyed with keeping both, but then did find a very good home in VA for Xander. Sakima and I both then sunk into depression. I remained beside myself for months - and Saki is one of those dogs that simply is not happy without another dog around which is quite unlike other dogs I have had [ foster dog Cain was that way though ].
finally, I decided I had no choice but to get a second dog to make Saki not sad and to perhaps allow me to forget betraying Xander's faith in his new family. [ it has helped but... ; I think by now I would be in very bad condition if TexXander had not arrived.
a friend in ABMCR spotted this 10-week old DS puppy in Paris, TX, while he still had a stray hold on him. a humane society member had spotted him in the county pound and alerted the group. with help from a couple ABMCR coordinators [ and the woman in Paris who spotted him, evaluated him as very special, sprung him, kept him and got him on his flight to me ], TexXander arrived here may 16. it is probably not too early to say that - aside from Tracedog - he is the most promising DS I have run into.
days before TexXander appeared in jail, I had signed up to get a puppy from a breeder [ again, trying to get over Xander, but also, trying to find another ''tracedog''. Xander needed help [ texas is overrun with DS and MAL puppies right now ] and he did seem like he might be really what I had really wanted, so I went ahead and got him. but now, the breeder's pup also is very likely to have the personality I want [ and need ], so what do I do. go to 3 when I had been adamant [ seems long ago ] that I could only have one?
the 3rd Ds in that photo [ i'm not sure if more than 1 pic had 3 DS ] - middle dog in ''brindle puddle crossing beach'' is COLA, a Christie Meyer puppy, 7 months old belonging to NICO in this forum. that pic was taken here at the beach the day after TeXan arrived here, so they were ages 3, 6, and 13 months old. they all met again yesterday in Brooklyn. Saki and Cola had met twice before in Brooklyn, but May 16 was the first time they had extended and extensive play - 24 hours of beach, yard, and house time.
Tell us about yourself: I am building a home in the jungle beach town of Nosara, Costa Rica. I came across the DS breed here, there is a breeder who trains police, military and home/office protection dogs. I have been looking for the right breed for my next dog for 2 years, I have come to like the breed very much. I like that the DS is a natural guard dog, but do not feel that this type of training fits in with my (home) California lifestyle, I would buy 2 fully trained protection dogs to live with me in CR, if I would live there full time. I have been training horses for 38 years, and personally trained all of the dogs I have ever had, I am excited to train my DS when I find the right puppy, it will be fun to have a dog that loves to learn all kinds of fun tricks and agility games, and loves to fetch. I travel a lot, and travel with my dog, besides having my dog with me almost everywhere I go, so I must have a dog that takes obedience training well, and likes a pack leader.
From all the info I can find and have been shared with here, I have contacted Les Flores, for a pup. Hopeful to hear back from them soon... I even called from Costa Rica and emailed them, Karin was very helpful at sending me their email very quickly, much appreciated!
Thank you all, for your help and kind welcome to the DS world. I look forward to more interaction with you all. I am always open to advice
Cheers!
Trisha
Trisha & Puma
Ventura Co. California
Playa Guiones, CR.
John, what a journey! Thanks for sharing. The transgressed are on such a high pedestal impossible to reach for the new. I finally went to your youtube channel and watched TD's videos - a very nice homage to a special friend and companion sometimes looking like not from this world but a visitor from a different galaxy.
If you get a 3rd DS, you might as well get a herd of sheep for them, if it is allowed in the Hamptons
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobakawww.dogster.com/dogs/637612
omg, the 2 I have now would love that. Saki has extreme herding instincts. they seem to love animals in general. on Friday I found they BOTH like cats. anyway, I know I would love to have sheep, tho goats are more entertaining.
thank you on TD's behalf. being an alien would explain him being such a fluke. I cannot tell you how many people - even passing strangers on the street - would exclaim, ''OMG, he's a person !'' in utter shock, since what they actually were responding to is that momentarily they mistook him for a human; so, what they should have said is, ''OMG, he's a dog !''