I am the proud owner of what I think to be a Dutch Shepherd mix. I was hoping that by being on this forum I could make a more certain determination, with your help and by also posting a couple of pictures.
Tyson is an 8 month-old boy and is, BY FAR, the smartest, most active dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with! I have big plans for this boy! Of all the research I have done, he seems to be a good fit with the DS breed.
Please let me know what you think about the following pictures and ask me any pertinent questions that may help me (you) determine if we belong here!
Thank you!
I think I belong here...
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
I think I belong here...
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
-
Karin
- Green Dog
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.
Re: I think I belong here...
What a strikingly good looking guy. I'm going to let others respond to the specifics on determining if and how much DS. I am still waiting for my first who is just 3 weeks old. I hope others respond to you as I"m curious about the white on his feet and muzzle.
Enjoy Tyson!
Enjoy Tyson!
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: I think I belong here...
WOW!!! what an absolutely gorgeous and attentive dog.
vis-a-vis a DS, I know some would be a bit perturbed by all the white on the chest and neck, but to me that is a very good sign. the white around the nose [ and corresponding lack of any black mask ] does suggest a mix, but the rest of the look, the demeanor, and your very high praise of him all say DS.
I would take Tyson over any dog in an instant. no matter how special you think he is now, I bet in a year you will not believe how much you UNDER-estimated him.
my own Tracedog [ RIP ] was identical in look except that he had a black mask up to his eyes [ no white on nose, but identically ample white bib ]. TD's and Tyson's mouths are the same and seem to me a bit different from full-breed. SO I WANT TO ADD MY OWN 2 QUESTIONS TO STACY's for those on the forum who have REAL expertise, especially in breeding: is a dog of Tyson's look possible as an outlying full-breed fluke? and, of even greater interest to me, assuming the likely answer that he has to be a mix, is what is a best guess as to the rest of the mix? [ for sake of argument, let's assume what I believe to be the case that he has in spades ALL the positive behavioral, physical, and intellectual qualities we know and love in DSs.]
so Stacy, you have an amazing DS there and I can tell it will not matter at all to you that he is a mix. I hope you will forgive me for piggy-backing my own questions on yours. and please stay here and share pictures and stories of Tyson growing up.
and finally, I ask for DingaRoo's understanding to allow me to share my affection for her with Tyson.
vis-a-vis a DS, I know some would be a bit perturbed by all the white on the chest and neck, but to me that is a very good sign. the white around the nose [ and corresponding lack of any black mask ] does suggest a mix, but the rest of the look, the demeanor, and your very high praise of him all say DS.
I would take Tyson over any dog in an instant. no matter how special you think he is now, I bet in a year you will not believe how much you UNDER-estimated him.
my own Tracedog [ RIP ] was identical in look except that he had a black mask up to his eyes [ no white on nose, but identically ample white bib ]. TD's and Tyson's mouths are the same and seem to me a bit different from full-breed. SO I WANT TO ADD MY OWN 2 QUESTIONS TO STACY's for those on the forum who have REAL expertise, especially in breeding: is a dog of Tyson's look possible as an outlying full-breed fluke? and, of even greater interest to me, assuming the likely answer that he has to be a mix, is what is a best guess as to the rest of the mix? [ for sake of argument, let's assume what I believe to be the case that he has in spades ALL the positive behavioral, physical, and intellectual qualities we know and love in DSs.]
so Stacy, you have an amazing DS there and I can tell it will not matter at all to you that he is a mix. I hope you will forgive me for piggy-backing my own questions on yours. and please stay here and share pictures and stories of Tyson growing up.
and finally, I ask for DingaRoo's understanding to allow me to share my affection for her with Tyson.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- Dutchringgirl
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 5692
- Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
- Location: Ct, USA
Re: I think I belong here...
Of course you belong here, you have a dog !!! I post once in a while about my parents Basset and no one has kicked me off yet.
I am in love ! (shhhh dont tell Thalie and Sadie)
What a striking fella !
I would say mix but yes to the DS. Too much white, but that is what is giving him his glorious looks !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT




- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: I think I belong here...
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! And I think he is gorgeous, but I am a bit biased LOL, so thanks for the confirmation! 
Johninny - I don't mind the piggy-backing at all. I am here to learn more about this wonderful breed...so piggy-back away!
And Lisa...your secret is safe with me!
As far as what he is mixed with...well I've pretty much heard it all: Basenji, Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog), Australian Shepherd, Whippet...the list goes on. Some make sense, some don't. I have considered doing a DNA test to limit options as far as the mix, but I know too many people who have done them and have had completely ridiculous results. I know a DNA test more than likely will NOT show DS because (from what I have read) they don't test for the DS gene marker.
I volunteer with a local dog rescue and pulled him from a shelter (his sister, who was adopted before I got there, was light brown all over with a black muzzle), so the chances of him being pure DS are slim. Needless to say...he stole our hearts with his personality and cuteness and is the best foster failure EVER!
As soon as we decided to keep him, we started training. I have had 2 GSD's and Tyson has a MUCH stronger drive to work and learn than they did. I know he is young, but we are starting on Rally and my ultimate goal is for him to do therapy work (he loves people).
Thank you again for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to like it here!
Johninny - I don't mind the piggy-backing at all. I am here to learn more about this wonderful breed...so piggy-back away!
And Lisa...your secret is safe with me!
As far as what he is mixed with...well I've pretty much heard it all: Basenji, Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog), Australian Shepherd, Whippet...the list goes on. Some make sense, some don't. I have considered doing a DNA test to limit options as far as the mix, but I know too many people who have done them and have had completely ridiculous results. I know a DNA test more than likely will NOT show DS because (from what I have read) they don't test for the DS gene marker.
I volunteer with a local dog rescue and pulled him from a shelter (his sister, who was adopted before I got there, was light brown all over with a black muzzle), so the chances of him being pure DS are slim. Needless to say...he stole our hearts with his personality and cuteness and is the best foster failure EVER!
As soon as we decided to keep him, we started training. I have had 2 GSD's and Tyson has a MUCH stronger drive to work and learn than they did. I know he is young, but we are starting on Rally and my ultimate goal is for him to do therapy work (he loves people).
Thank you again for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to like it here!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: I think I belong here...
Since you said his sister was light with a black mask, did she look like a malinois, because that could make your guy closer to a DS since they're closely related. I do have to agree he's mixed with something unique. Do you have any standing profile pics? I'm interested in what he looks like from the side while standing.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: I think I belong here...
Stefanie...I don't think I have any standing profile pics, but will work on that!
I found a picture of his sister from her shelter intake. I thought she had more black on her muzzle, but apparently my memory is a bit fuzzy. Here she is.
I found a picture of his sister from her shelter intake. I thought she had more black on her muzzle, but apparently my memory is a bit fuzzy. Here she is.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: I think I belong here...
Stefanie -LyonsFamily wrote:I do have to agree he's mixed with something unique. Do you have any standing profile pics? I'm interested in what he looks like from the side while standing.
these aren't the best pictures, and one is another head-shot, but I hope they help!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
- Revhendo
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....
Kevin
Re: I think I belong here...
Um, I think I've seen this dog before.

Just kidding, but what a doppelganger. You have a good looking lad there. Then again, I could be biased.
Oh, and John, I'm pretty sure Roo believes there is enough love to go around.

Just kidding, but what a doppelganger. You have a good looking lad there. Then again, I could be biased.
Oh, and John, I'm pretty sure Roo believes there is enough love to go around.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
- Stacy_R
- Training Dog
- Posts: 879
- Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
- Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
- Location: Carolinas
Re: I think I belong here...
HA! OMGosh....Tyson's long lost twin!!! LOL
Thank you, Roo, for sharing the love.
Thank you, Roo, for sharing the love.
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org


Facebook page.