needed some expert opinion

For our new members to introduce themselves
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

I just joined this forum.and also have some questions regarding my dog "Igor" he's a male dutch or DS mix I don't know kindly share your opinion about his breed I got him from a breeder here in the Philippines that trains K9 explosive detection,personal protection dogs.he told me it's a dutch shepherd.I just wanted to make sure what I got.nevertheless Igor the newest addition to our family is performing well as a guard dog he's now 5 months old.
Attachments
Igor3.jpg
Igor3.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
Igor2.jpg
Igor2.jpg (69.03 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
Igor1.jpg
Igor1.jpg (69.59 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Stacy_R »

OMGOSH!! Those EARS!!! LOL! I am in LOVE with those EARS!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by HeatherH »

OMG those ears he looks alert, friendley and eager. I'd be taking him over to your chocolate hills and running around all day with him.

I'm jealous.

H
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Ok, another OMG look at the ears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, He won the ear contest !! He is so beautiful and I love his solid legs ! Looks all DS to me !! Nontheless he is beautiful !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Stacy_R »

Dutchringgirl wrote:Ok, another OMG look at the ears !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, He won the ear contest !! He is so beautiful and I love his solid legs ! Looks all DS to me !! Nontheless he is beautiful !
HA! He totally won the cutest ears contest!!!
I didn't notice the solid legs until you pointed them out (too fixated on those ears!!!). What a striking fellow!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Schlussdibusti »

Super cute DS ! But I don't like you keep him on a chain :evil:
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by johninny »

I strongly second what Eva said. as I said in response to your ''photographs'' post, this dog needs to be integrated into your family. to be more specific, he needs to BE a family member [ albeit the one in charge of protection ], he needs respect that you would accord a human friend, he needs a quality living environment that keeps his mind engaged - NOT A CHAIN ON CONCRETE. these dogs are good protection because they are so smart; they must be treated as such.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

thank you all for your high praises! I guess I really have a DS. You're absolutely right about what he looks like he's pretty solid and alert ,and as expected in his breed he's affectionate full of energy and tractable. I feel sorry also that I put him on chains,the reason being he's too destructive at the moment considering his age.I only put him on chains when I,m doing something and I cannot supervise them playing around as there are stray dogs outside our property that may pass some communicable diseases to my dogs. but he gets a 2 hr exercise everyday 1 in the morning and at night when I'm back from work. he also have an elevated dog house to keep him dry when its raining.
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

thank you John.that is enlightening! probably the best advice I need.don't you all worry about his welfare I'm working on it.
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by LyonsFamily »

Allan7 wrote:but he gets a 2 hr exercise everyday 1 in the morning and at night when I'm back from work.
That's probably the reason for destructiveness. 2 hours exercise isn't enough mental or physical stimulation for most DS and they will turn destructive when left to their own devices, especially one that young. There are a lot of different activities to do with your Dutch and some things they can do on their own when you're busy. Mines LOVES his Varsity ball. He'll roll with that in the yard for hours and it's perfect for when I have to do outside yard work or I'm working in the outside workshop. I would also recommend a kiddie pool for supervised play when you're outside, but can't be totally hands on. Some days I'll put the Varsity ball in the kiddie pool for even more fun.

At this age, I would be looking into what sort of jobs you can create for the dog as well. Tracking, nosework, agility, protection sports, obedience, herding, etc are all great things to work on. I believe Nordis posted a list of the various dog sports in a previous post. Dutch Shepherds don't really thrive until they have a job to occupy their time and in Odin's case, his caffeinated brain.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

Thank you! that would be extremely helpful.I guess i'll get him a ball and a kiddie pool .highly essential especially in hot days.
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

I guess I'm getting more here than just opinion! thanks to you all!
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Remember, This breed is meant to watch sheep all day !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by johninny »

''watch sheep all day'' which actually is continuous and strenuous use of body and brain all day. [ watching sheep sort of sounds like something you do from a couch - or even from bed as you count ! -- but THAT is not the case or what Lisa meant.]
inactive - and especially confined in a boring environment [ chain on concrete ] - is akin to the prison practice of solitary confinement, which research over the last decade shows CAUSES insanity. as your DS may well be more intelligent than many prisoners, the effect on him can be even more devastating in terms of his mental stability, his clear perception of reality, and obviously his happiness and levels of trust, respect and love of you and your family. for best protection, you need more stability, more clear perception, more love and trust - not an angry dog. a very very happy DS will give his life for your family if he perceives a threat. an angry or seriously bored/deprived DS may choose to befriend someone who shows him what he thinks of as extraordinary kindness but may want to do harm to your family.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by johninny »

I woke up this morning thinking about you and Igor. if you made Igor a true and full member of your family, not only would you have a better and happier dog [ including better for protection ] as I stated above, but you and your other family members would have your lives enriched miraculously in so many unexpected way. you have a very special creature who can add so much to your lives. so make his life wonderful and you will paid back many times over.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

Indeed. since I got him,our lives(me and my wife)got more interesting in a good way.to us he's not just any dog he is something special.hopefully I can post photos of him off chain so you can see how he's doing.As of now the best bonding moment we could have with him is a 6 km walk to my parent's house ,where he could run to his heart's content and play with my brother's dogs.we do this during weekends.we are also planning to bring him to a local dog summit(not a dog show)this coming August to socialize with other dogs and people.
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

here are some photos of Igor taken when he's 4 mos. sorry about the quality of the shots.
Attachments
igor2.jpg
igor2.jpg (78.74 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
igor1.jpg
igor1.jpg (77.93 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
Allan7
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 am
Tell us about yourself: I'm a novice dutch shepherd owner and joined this community to acquire expert advice on raising,breeding a dutch shepherd.my male dutchie named Igor is the latest addition to our family.I have 2 adult dogs a japanese spitz and a labrador but needed a serious guardian to guard my family and property that's when I got him.he's a happy dog always alert and very reliable at an early age of 5 months.since I got him,I fell in-love with the breed that I wanted another one a female,but my research brought me here thinking that I can get some advice on choosing the right female dutchie since the breed have a lot of variations.

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Allan7 »

the barbed wire on the gate does not harm him and my other two dogs they're simply smart enough to know it is sharp.It is to discourage stray dogs from getting inside (or their heads at least) especially those with mange.
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by johninny »

Igor is a really beautiful and impressive DS. and I infer from his photos that he has a great personality and disposition! please keep us up on your life with Igor.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: needed some expert opinion

Post by Sugars Mom »

He is a big boy!!
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Post Reply