best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
Jennyt0319
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jennifer. My whole life I have been interested in dogs. I starting learning about all the different breeds and their characteristics at a very young age.
Now that I am older & out on my own, I felt it was a good time to rescue my own dog. I searched for about 6 months.
It was my third time around when i met a 8 week old Dutch Shepherd. The moment we met i knew she had picked me. It was an instant connection. The shelter said someone found her and two sister pups abandoned in the woods. Her sisters were adopted that same week. Her name is Kora, she has a tan brindle coat and is the best companion I could ever have in a dog. She amazes me everyday with her intelligence and personality.

best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by Jennyt0319 »

I am looking into buying new food/water bowls. I can not decide if raised up bowls would be better or worse or no difference at all? I have been searching online for recommendations but some say yes and some say no it causes bloating. Also, is stainless steal the best material used for food/water?


So my two questions: Raised up bowls->Yes, No, or no difference?...
Material of the bowls, Stainless steal->Yes, No or no difference?...

Please and thank you!
Jenn & Kora
Image
demonshalo
Just Whelped
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:06 am
Tell us about yourself: Hi, my name is Lindsey and I have a five year old boxer named Roo and a five month old DS named Eris. My girls are wonderful and Eris is beginning to learn her manners. Luckily I have an older, low energy dog to calm her down some! Love them, they are like my and my husband's kids!!

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by demonshalo »

HI!

You definitely want to use stainless steel. Really anything but plastic because germs can hang out in there longer. My boxer is the kind of dog who will flip a bowl then eat all the kibble off the floor, which I then have to clean up when she doesn't eat it all. Because of this we use a plastic holder down close to the floor with stainless steel (SS) bowls.

Our puppy hasn't learned this trick yet so we have a iron raised holder with SS bowls. We haven't noticed any issues regarding the raised stand so as far as I know its a preference or your dogs needs. Of course I'm not an expert but we've had dogs since I was little and I've never noticed an issue between any of the different bowl holders. Hope this helps!
Lindsey and the kiddos

"Whoever said that diamonds are a girl's best friend...never had a dog." ~Unknown
Jennyt0319
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jennifer. My whole life I have been interested in dogs. I starting learning about all the different breeds and their characteristics at a very young age.
Now that I am older & out on my own, I felt it was a good time to rescue my own dog. I searched for about 6 months.
It was my third time around when i met a 8 week old Dutch Shepherd. The moment we met i knew she had picked me. It was an instant connection. The shelter said someone found her and two sister pups abandoned in the woods. Her sisters were adopted that same week. Her name is Kora, she has a tan brindle coat and is the best companion I could ever have in a dog. She amazes me everyday with her intelligence and personality.

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by Jennyt0319 »

Thank you so much! Very helpful!
Jenn & Kora
Image
User avatar
Schlussdibusti
Working Dog
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by Schlussdibusti »

I use glass (Pyrex) bowls for food and water. Food bowls are put on the floor for feeding. Water bowl is raised by nestling it on top of a plastic bin. I think it was meant as a trash can originally, but since it was the perfect height and the Pyrex bowl fit, I used it for this purpose.

The Pyrex bowls hold up very well, now for about 12 years same bowls.
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by johninny »

yes. stainless or pyrex -- and lightly wash out even a water bowl every day [ i rinse and refresh every . both materials clean easily and do nothing to harbor or encourage organism growth.
vet school journals say feed bowls should not be raised, with possible exception of larger, older dogs that are simply having trouble getting down to the bowl.
for food, i use the stainless steel, shallow bowls where the steel bends back down to the floor and then has rubber around the rim that sits on the floor. they are easy to maintain, sturdy [ tho thin], shallow - so easy for dog to consume from, and stable on floor with the widest point being the rubber-covered outer rim that sits on the floor. cost is generally 6 - 9 $ depending on store.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by Sugars Mom »

Hmm, interesting. Sugar had issues with bringing up her water right after drinking it and the vet suggested raised bowls. I did and it seemed to help her. She pretty much never has that problem anymore.
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by johninny »

the journal articles have only spoken to feeding bowls specifically, so for water.... [??] ...
glad Sugar got a good solution that worked for her.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
TexasMedy
Puppy
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:27 am
Tell us about yourself: Hello Everyone,

My wife and I live north of Houston in Spring, TX. We have 3 kids, age 17, 19 and 20. We have a Dutch Shepherd, 3 Dalmatians and a Maltipoo.
Location: Spring, TX

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by TexasMedy »

Kind of off subject but does anyone else have a dog who just loves to walk through the metal food bowls? We have a ceramic tile floor and Medy just loves to clang the bowls. She will walk back and forth and step on the bowl making all kinds of racket. this can happen at any time she wants attention and is not really done because she wants to get fed. I probably should have broke her of this early on but I still think it is funny. The Wife is not quite as easily entertained as me. :x :lol:
Dan, Leticia and our dog family - Medy (DS), Coco (Dalmatian), Isabela (Dalmatian), Zoey (Maltipoo)
Jennyt0319
Just Whelped
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:06 am
Tell us about yourself: My name is Jennifer. My whole life I have been interested in dogs. I starting learning about all the different breeds and their characteristics at a very young age.
Now that I am older & out on my own, I felt it was a good time to rescue my own dog. I searched for about 6 months.
It was my third time around when i met a 8 week old Dutch Shepherd. The moment we met i knew she had picked me. It was an instant connection. The shelter said someone found her and two sister pups abandoned in the woods. Her sisters were adopted that same week. Her name is Kora, she has a tan brindle coat and is the best companion I could ever have in a dog. She amazes me everyday with her intelligence and personality.

Re: best Food/water bowl suggestions?

Post by Jennyt0319 »

Thank you every one for responding! I picked up two brand new SS bowls today. Woo! haha
I decided against the raised up platform.
Jenn & Kora
Image
Post Reply