New member in Florida, looking for pup
- Dutch in America
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm
- Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.
New member in Florida, looking for pup
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and would like some input about finding a puppy breeder. I live in Florida and want a male short-hair pup for obedience and therapy work, thus, a lower drive puppy.
I do have experience with working dogs, having had and trained Dobes,Rotties and GSD. Being Dutch myself, I would love a Dutchie. I have a family member in Holland scoping out possibilities there, but obviously the logistics are easier if I can find one here in the US.
Any input would be appreciated.
I do have experience with working dogs, having had and trained Dobes,Rotties and GSD. Being Dutch myself, I would love a Dutchie. I have a family member in Holland scoping out possibilities there, but obviously the logistics are easier if I can find one here in the US.
Any input would be appreciated.
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
-
Karin
- Green Dog
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Hi there and welcome.
Glad you are looking around and trying to get more information about the DS breed. And yes, being Dutch yourself I can see how you might be drawn to these dogs.
My reaction to your post is this and I mean no disrespect. I have limited experience having a 4 month old FCI registered puppy. But I have read a ton. What you want to do with this pup is not typically fitting to the DS. They are a high drive protection breed. Asking for a lower drive dog raises red flags for me because you are already indicating this breed might not be your ideal. I also don't think typically they would make great therapy dogs... that is just not enough hard work for them. AND BEFORE I GET IN TROUBLE, of course there are individuals that are low drive and would make good therapy dogs, but it is not the breed standard. They are drivey, bitey dogs that need a lot, and I mean a lot of exercise, much more than GSDs and Rotties. With my four month old I typically walk 6-7 miles a day in 3 walks. He needs this or he will go into destructo mode. They are highly trainable but again need lots of structure and consistency. My DS is much more drive than my GSD and much more of a destruction dog if not given guidance and supervision.
Definitely talk to some good breeders out there about what you want to do with the dog and be really honest with yourself. Also please understand that there are two general lines of DS, FCI and KNPV. Educate yourself about this and do not go with KNPV lines.
I got my pup from Les Flores (De Las Flores Kennel) in Washington. He is a good guy to talk to about what you want and if the DS is a good choice. I know that there are other breeders that might be able to answer all your questions honestly. Maybe others can give you some contact information. Finding a quality breeder is very VERY important. Also check with Trudy at North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue. She is a wealth of information too. You might consider a young adult so that you really know what their drive is like.
I know it is easy to get enamored by these guys but having the puppy now, I would say be very careful with this decision. They can turn your life upside down in good ways and bad, but you better be ready.
Hope others give their two cents as well.
Karin
Glad you are looking around and trying to get more information about the DS breed. And yes, being Dutch yourself I can see how you might be drawn to these dogs.
My reaction to your post is this and I mean no disrespect. I have limited experience having a 4 month old FCI registered puppy. But I have read a ton. What you want to do with this pup is not typically fitting to the DS. They are a high drive protection breed. Asking for a lower drive dog raises red flags for me because you are already indicating this breed might not be your ideal. I also don't think typically they would make great therapy dogs... that is just not enough hard work for them. AND BEFORE I GET IN TROUBLE, of course there are individuals that are low drive and would make good therapy dogs, but it is not the breed standard. They are drivey, bitey dogs that need a lot, and I mean a lot of exercise, much more than GSDs and Rotties. With my four month old I typically walk 6-7 miles a day in 3 walks. He needs this or he will go into destructo mode. They are highly trainable but again need lots of structure and consistency. My DS is much more drive than my GSD and much more of a destruction dog if not given guidance and supervision.
Definitely talk to some good breeders out there about what you want to do with the dog and be really honest with yourself. Also please understand that there are two general lines of DS, FCI and KNPV. Educate yourself about this and do not go with KNPV lines.
I got my pup from Les Flores (De Las Flores Kennel) in Washington. He is a good guy to talk to about what you want and if the DS is a good choice. I know that there are other breeders that might be able to answer all your questions honestly. Maybe others can give you some contact information. Finding a quality breeder is very VERY important. Also check with Trudy at North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue. She is a wealth of information too. You might consider a young adult so that you really know what their drive is like.
I know it is easy to get enamored by these guys but having the puppy now, I would say be very careful with this decision. They can turn your life upside down in good ways and bad, but you better be ready.
Hope others give their two cents as well.
Karin
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
WELCOME!
thanks for doing your research and joining us DS fans.
Karin has a very good point that i want to emphasize: if you want a DS to be a therapy dog, i think the only wise thing to do is get a rescue from Nadsr or directly yourself from a shelter, etc., that you can completely check out yourself in person w/r/t suitable personality and temperament. the chance of getting the right puppy for this seems low to me, whereas with work and patience you may well find an adult that fits the bill.
thanks for doing your research and joining us DS fans.
Karin has a very good point that i want to emphasize: if you want a DS to be a therapy dog, i think the only wise thing to do is get a rescue from Nadsr or directly yourself from a shelter, etc., that you can completely check out yourself in person w/r/t suitable personality and temperament. the chance of getting the right puppy for this seems low to me, whereas with work and patience you may well find an adult that fits the bill.
Last edited by johninny on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Karin has a very good point that i want to emphasize: if you want a DS to be a therapy dog, i think the only wise thing to do is get a rescue from Nadsr or directly yourself that you can completely check out yourself in person w/r/t suitable personality and temperament. the chance of getting the right puppy for this seems low to me, whereas with work and patience you may well find an adult that fits the bill.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- LyonsFamily
- Training Dog
- Posts: 947
- Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
- Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years - Location: Michigan
- Contact:
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
I would also agree with the getting an adult dog with an established temperament if you're looking for a therapy dog, preferably one that's been in a foster home for a while and the dog's personalities and traits are really well known. I think going the DS route is going to be way more difficult than if you went with something like a standard poodle or any other sporting breed.
What particular type of therapy work are you looking to do? There's some stuff that a DS would be a better fit for and some that would be stressful to deal with the liability and extra training. I'd imagine if you want to do work with small children, it wouldn't be that great of an idea due to the high prey drive and herding instincts a DS has, for example.
What particular type of therapy work are you looking to do? There's some stuff that a DS would be a better fit for and some that would be stressful to deal with the liability and extra training. I'd imagine if you want to do work with small children, it wouldn't be that great of an idea due to the high prey drive and herding instincts a DS has, for example.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
- Dutch in America
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm
- Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Thanks everyone,I definitely appreciate your input. I am currently talking with a breeder who has an older pup that is lower drive, she knows what I am looking for. I do ride my recumbent trike everyday, we are setting up some agility stuff in the yard, and I plan to do tons of socialization, get into an obedience group for regular training, work with him daily. The therapy work would be more in nursing homes with older people, if the dog likes it, if not, it won't happen. I plan to keep the dog occupied. I will personally see and check out the puppy in person and if it seems to be not a good fit, I will walk away. I want the dog to be happy, and will not take him if I feel it won't work.
Thanks all of you for your info and interest. I will keep reading the forum.
Thanks all of you for your info and interest. I will keep reading the forum.
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
-
johninny
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1326
- Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
- Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
- Location: NH/hamptons/nyc
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
good luck.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
- Revhendo
- Green Dog
- Posts: 180
- Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Howdy,
We are a family of rescues, (yeah, me included), in Southern California. My wife and I currently have two dogs, a Golden Retriever/ GSD mix by the name of Morgan, and our DS mix(?), Dinga Roo. We had never even heard of a Dutch Shepherd before until we were stalked by this nice lady in the pet store who asked us if Roo was a DS. Dang if that lady wasn't on to something. I just found this site, so here we are....
Kevin
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
I have three couches that will attest to what has been said above. 
Keep us updated on how it works out for you.
Keep us updated on how it works out for you.
Kevin, Debby,
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
Dinga Roo (DS mix), John's Goddaughter and Tyson's twin,
and Morgan too (Retriever/GSD mix).
Loving memories of our GSD Charly who passed at 17 years. (4/18/13).
- Christie M
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 1279
- Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Hey all,
While there is a lot of good advice on here, there is also some over reactions. Yes, they do need mental and physical stimulation. I personally think more mental than physical. I have shared my home with Dutch Shepherds for 15 years now - adults, puppies and at least 40 fosters. I have never run them for 5+ miles. They have rules, stuff to do and get lots of exercise and training. They are harder than average dogs, but not crazy. And ALL of my personal dogs have been therapy certified. If they are stable, trained and well socialized - they love it. They also work their butts off! Its that versatility that we love.
Getting an older dog with established temperament is great advice! But I think it is just as reasonable to work with a breeder who really knows their lines and the dogs they produce. Of course I am biased, since I am the breeder that Ina contacted
This is a repeat breeding, and all of the pups from the previous litter turned out very, very confident. Knowing the dogs behind these puppies (for a few generations), and knowing how my puppies tend to turn out, I am very confident that this will be a great match. When I was contacted, I said "I have one puppy that would fit your needs. The other two are just too much" and that is true. But the guy she is coming to meet is extremely laid back and very confident. He loves to play and interact and he lets the stresses of life roll off of his back.
So I just had to chime it. I know that most of the time we have to speak in generalizations. I know in many situations, I would give similar advice. It is actually sad, because that advice is given with the thought that most people will be dealing with a breeder who just wants to sell puppies - not make great long term relationships.
While there is a lot of good advice on here, there is also some over reactions. Yes, they do need mental and physical stimulation. I personally think more mental than physical. I have shared my home with Dutch Shepherds for 15 years now - adults, puppies and at least 40 fosters. I have never run them for 5+ miles. They have rules, stuff to do and get lots of exercise and training. They are harder than average dogs, but not crazy. And ALL of my personal dogs have been therapy certified. If they are stable, trained and well socialized - they love it. They also work their butts off! Its that versatility that we love.
Getting an older dog with established temperament is great advice! But I think it is just as reasonable to work with a breeder who really knows their lines and the dogs they produce. Of course I am biased, since I am the breeder that Ina contacted
So I just had to chime it. I know that most of the time we have to speak in generalizations. I know in many situations, I would give similar advice. It is actually sad, because that advice is given with the thought that most people will be dealing with a breeder who just wants to sell puppies - not make great long term relationships.
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com
Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
- Choochi
- Training Dog
- Posts: 350
- Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:16 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Love dogs and training.
- Location: Toronto, ON
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
My girl is almost 3 and if we don't get out she will sleep all day on the couch quite contently. Take her out and she will happily run for 5+ miles
but it's not a must. It's not some thing that came with maturity, she's always been like that. She would however make a horrible therapy dog because she is very distrustful of strangers and is really not a touchy feely dog except with people she knows very well.
DiA, you're in good hands with Christie as your breeder if you're looking at pups. She can also help steer you towards a rescue if there is one out there that would fit your bill.
DiA, you're in good hands with Christie as your breeder if you're looking at pups. She can also help steer you towards a rescue if there is one out there that would fit your bill.
Choochi
-
Linda Lew
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 7
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:35 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hello! I just got my puppy Dutchess (original, I know) and am so excited to raise her. I'm glad I've found this forum, as I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions along the way.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Hi, just wanted to let you know that I got my pup in Pompano Beach last week. She is nine weeks old, and came from a litter of 12. Her mother is a Belgian Malinois and father is Dutch Shepherd. I don't believe Jay is a breeder but an agility and therapy dog trainer. If you are interested, please let me know and I'll give you his telephone number.
I'm a new member to this forum as well, just haven't introduced myself or posted a picture of my beautiful puppy yet. She is awesome!
I'm a new member to this forum as well, just haven't introduced myself or posted a picture of my beautiful puppy yet. She is awesome!
Linda & Mike
Dutchess the DS
Sunny Bun the orange cat
Dutchess the DS
Sunny Bun the orange cat
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Ha, ha, you just described Sugar to a tee!Choochi wrote:My girl is almost 3 and if we don't get out she will sleep all day on the couch quite contently. Take her out and she will happily run for 5+ milesbut it's not a must. It's not some thing that came with maturity, she's always been like that. She would however make a horrible therapy dog because she is very distrustful of strangers and is really not a touchy feely dog except with people she knows very well.
Sue (and Sugar)

- Dutch in America
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm
- Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
We picked up Ranger last weekend, and he is turning out to be just as Christie described: confident, smart, willing (except to take walks away from the kitchen. Once we start walking away from the house, he is reluctant, on the way back he actually picks up the leashes of the other dogs and hurries back toward the house pulling them along), playful, calm in general, runs like a klutzy maniac all over the back yard and then comes in and plays with his toys quietly (well, they used to be the other dogs' toys, now they are sharing more or less amicably). He sleeps in his crate with no more than 30 seconds moaning and groaning about it.
He is learning very quickly what he can and cannot "taste" with only a mild verbal cue. Has actually let himself out once or twice to pee which is funny because the current doggy door is a bit small for him.
He is a walking void needing to be filled with food, I suspect he is going to grow very quickly...After less than 48 hours in the house he will show us where the dog food bag is, then the refrigerator, then the bowls drying on the counter and then the spot where he gets his meal. Can he be more clear?
And he already knows sit and down...
I anticipate many happy years with Ranger, thank you Christie!
He is learning very quickly what he can and cannot "taste" with only a mild verbal cue. Has actually let himself out once or twice to pee which is funny because the current doggy door is a bit small for him.
He is a walking void needing to be filled with food, I suspect he is going to grow very quickly...After less than 48 hours in the house he will show us where the dog food bag is, then the refrigerator, then the bowls drying on the counter and then the spot where he gets his meal. Can he be more clear?
And he already knows sit and down...
I anticipate many happy years with Ranger, thank you Christie!

Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
- Schlussdibusti
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1040
- Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:25 pm
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a DS
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Now I am confused
Christie, you have pups in Pompano Beach, FL ?
Christie, you have pups in Pompano Beach, FL ?
Eva & Marco BH
Jupiter, Florida
Jupiter, Florida
- Dutch in America
- Just Whelped
- Posts: 22
- Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:18 pm
- Tell us about yourself: A dog lover living in Florida. I am originally from The Netherlands. Had dogs all my life, mostly working dogs. Last one was a GSD I trained for narcotic detection. I have recently gotten my first DS, Ranger. I also have 2 Danish/Swedish farmdogs.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
No, that post was from Linda Lew, responding to me.
I live in Citrus County. Any other Dutchy owners near me?
I live in Citrus County. Any other Dutchy owners near me?
Mom to:
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
Ranger-DS
Jake and Elwood-Danish/Swedish Farmdogs
"May you be the kind of person your dog thinks you are."
-
Karin
- Green Dog
- Posts: 154
- Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
- Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Re: reluctant walks. My pup was also reluctant and I just baited him out gently. He loves walks/hikes/ and getting out now at 5 months. It will come.
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
-
Sugars Mom
- Working Dog
- Posts: 1734
- Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
- Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.
Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!
I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences. - Location: Victoria BC
Re: New member in Florida, looking for pup
Mine was also reluctant to walk past the end of the driveway as a pup and I've read many owners describing the same thing with their DS...so for whatever reason, it doesn't seem unusual for a DS.
Sue (and Sugar)



Facebook page.