Hello from Iowa

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
JCW
Just Whelped
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:04 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm interested in acquiring a Dutch Shepard for to work search and rescue as well as a family companion.

Hello from Iowa

Post by JCW »

I'm new to the board and new to Dutch Shepherds. So new in fact I don't have one yet, although I've been reading about them off and on for a few years now. My thinking right now is that I would like to become involved with SAR. I'm in the research phase now and not in a hurry. Hope to learn a lot here on the forum. Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated!
Brad J.
Fairfield, IA
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Hello from Iowa

Post by johninny »

WELCOME!
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
Karin
Green Dog
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hi there.
I WILL be a new Dutch Shepherd owner on July 20th!!! Puppies are on the ground and a huge litter at 14! Very excited. I chose the Dutch because I like high drive dogs and my husband likes shepherds. We both have had GSDs in our past. I also am interested in search and rescue training. I live in the mountains of California and have two older Australian Shepherds. I do know that I have a job managing this pack. My husband is on board with it all. No kids. Both of us have flexible jobs. We are active folk but aging! ;-))
Still we mountain bike, hike, cross-country ski and my husband runs. I walk in the woods with the dogs 3 times a day and we are lucky to have US Forest right out the door. So that is it.

Re: Hello from Iowa

Post by Karin »

Hi there and Welcome.

I'm in CA and starting to train SAR with my 6 month old DS. Amazing noses... we do have our obedience challenges but I'm getting on top of those. :D
Karin In Lake Tahoe
Ptygo de las Flores (Tee-go)
Born May 24, 2013
Rob C
Puppy
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Washington state, and I'm just trying to find out about the Dutch Shepherd breed and thought this might be a good place to start.

Re: Hello from Iowa

Post by Rob C »

Hey Brad. Welcome. I'm pretty new here too, but feel free to ask whatever is on your mind. Everyone here is pretty friendly and helpful, and have a lot of knowledge on a lot of different areas and topics.
Rob C
Vancouver, WA
User avatar
icvanstra
Working Dog
Posts: 1153
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:33 am
Tell us about yourself: .
Location: Broad Ripple - the coolest part of Indianapolis - sometimes Amersfoort

Re: Hello from Iowa

Post by icvanstra »

Welcome to the Forum
Eric
  • - Cino vom Foxtal
    - Abigail NORML de Weijer (over the bridge)
    - Hannah the DS wanna be (over the bridge)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello from Iowa

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Hi Brad, welcome !
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from Iowa

Post by Raven »

Welcome! Nice you're taking your time to learn. Karin's right: their noses are awesome. (But what isn't about a DS?)
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Post Reply