Poop Detective

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
Post Reply
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Poop Detective

Post by LyonsFamily »

I'm hoping everyone here will appreciate the genius behind Odin's newest super talent. I posted last year how Odin developed the ability to tell us when dinner was done cooking, well his nose is at it again.

As most of you know, Elli has some strange poop problems resulting from a surgery she had as a puppy. Mainly she gets diarrhea easily (which we have completely under control now with the raw diet and a few supplements) and the other is that she's not able to hold it very long. When she has to go, she has to go. She doesn't give much warning, and I'm working on teaching her stronger signals and how to potty on command. Most of that has been very successful. Well, as of this week, we no longer need that training.

Odin has taken it upon himself to notify us 15 minutes before Elli is even aware she has to go outside. He's been doing this for a week or so, but I thought it was just a coincidence until tonight. As we were going to bed, Odin asked my husband to let Elli out of the crate. I thought it was because he wanted to sleep in there and gave in to his sad eyes. When I opened it, he immediately woke up Elli, smelled her butt and gave the signal that he wanted to go outside. When we went to the door, he stayed in and Elli ran into the field to do her business. She didn't even know she had to go and probably would've woke up panicking in the middle of the night. Odin saved us all from a smelly wake up. :wtg:
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
User avatar
Owned-By-Hendrix
Training Dog
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am
Tell us about yourself: Dutch Shepherd Owner.

Re: Poop Detective

Post by Owned-By-Hendrix »

**like**

Way to go Odin! That's so cute he's helping Elli and you out. The sniffing the butt thing is just too funny (in my head he's almost going "let me double check... Oh yeah she has GOT to go outside!") but it's so smart of him to put that nose to good work! What a genius boy!
Kay, H, and The SO
(Pepper's Look-A-Like)
(Tyson's Soul Twin)
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Poop Detective

Post by johninny »

love these dogs - and they are our dogs. so comforting that they have each other's and our backs.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Poop Detective

Post by Stacy_R »

Odin...you are my hero!!!
I love that dog!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Asha
Green Dog
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Emily. I am the mother of two girls (human!!). We have one beagle named Charlie who is three and a new puppy named Asha. She is about 9 weeks old and we think she is a Dutch Shepherd Dog mix.

Re: Poop Detective

Post by Asha »

Wild!! Imagine the possibilities of having Odin around a potty training child :D
Emily Owner of Three mutts
Charlie - beagle/basset 5yrs
Asha - No ### Idea brindle genius 1 yr
Russell - Redbone/GSD monster 6months
DS LOVER and obsessor
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Poop Detective

Post by Stacy_R »

Asha wrote:Wild!! Imagine the possibilities of having Odin around a potty training child :D
The visual I just had was awesome...thank you Emily!!!
:lol: :wtg: :lmao:
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Poop Detective

Post by Dutchringgirl »

HAHAHAHAHA Yeah, lets skip the visual............too late LOL

That is so great. Maybe she is letting gas out before the main event so he smells the farts and knows what is next?
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
User avatar
HeatherH
Green Dog
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Heather. My husband and I are empty nesters in or mid 40. We bought a 8 wk old ds from a breeder. We got the name buy a new neighbor. I bought thr dog because we both just putvthe last of or 3 dogs down. I had a dalmatian before I met my husband 4 yeats ago. The love of my life. Iove dogs that are smart and full of energy. I lve hiking but need yhe push. I am just learning alot about the new little guy, but I need more info.

Re: Poop Detective

Post by HeatherH »

Way to go! gotta loves these dogs :wtg:
Heather from Hamilton Ont.
Dutch- DS.
Pearl - cat
User avatar
feraloup
Training Dog
Posts: 352
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:45 pm
Tell us about yourself: Artist, Mother, Equestrienne, Educator, Homesteader wannabe, dog-lover. Not counting my current DS, I have had 2 GSDs and 3 rescued mixed-breeds. All of these dogs were rescues, except for my childhood GSD, who was a gift from my parents when I was 7, and my current DS who I bartered artwork for from the breeder. Maiyou, one of my current dogs, is a Pitbull/New Guinea Singing Dog of 13 years old. Still very active and "Young" in nature. I now also have a DS named Mokume, (pronounced "Moh-koo-meh") or "Moko" for short. Newest member of our pack is Freyja, a random mixed hound I rescued during a horseback trip in the middle of a state forest.
Location: VT

Re: Poop Detective

Post by feraloup »

Odin is so flipping awesome! I love your dog! :) :DScool:
Autumn Dufresne

"If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them you will not know them, and what you do not know, you will fear. What one fears, one destroys." ~Chief Dan George
User avatar
LyonsFamily
Training Dog
Posts: 947
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:08 am
Tell us about yourself: Odin 5 years
Elli 5 years
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Poop Detective

Post by LyonsFamily »

I'm glad you all liked the story. He's such a good boy, really makes his mom proud.
Stephanie
'Odin' NV PTA Odin of Another Kingdom RL1
'Elli' Drawing Our Own Constellations RL1 CGC CGCA
Sugars Mom
Working Dog
Posts: 1734
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:16 am
Tell us about yourself: I adopted a Dutch Shepherd mix (without knowing what she was) from the SPCA here in Victoria BC and am now trying to learn everything I can about this breed. My husband and I work from home most of the time so I thought it was time to get a puppy! We have his 2 boys here half the time and we wanted a nice family dog.

Sugar looks like a miniature Dutch Shepherd with floppy ears, and has every ounce of DS traits in her little body!

I hope to learn from other DS owners and share doggy experiences.
Location: Victoria BC

Re: Poop Detective

Post by Sugars Mom »

Holy crap Stephanie! What an amazing talent Odin has! Looks like a match made in heaven with Odin and Elli :wtg:
Sue (and Sugar)

Image
Post Reply