Hello from North Carolina

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
boicetrous
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Carol. I am a mom to 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 and 3 "fur babies" ages 12, 9, and 14 weeks. All of our dogs are rescues. My oldest two are lab mixes and our newest addition, we are discovering, is a dutch shepherd (probably a mix but we have no way of knowing). Because the breed is new to me I'm seeking as much information as possible and the more I find out about them the more excited I get.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years. He is a Marine and will be retiring soon. We plan on presuming the family business and farming.
Other things I enjoy besides my family are being outdoors, swimming, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. I also love to read.

Hello from North Carolina

Post by boicetrous »

Hi Everyone!
My name is Carol and I'm from North Carolina. I'm excited to learn more about Dutch Shepherds as I'm new to the breed and this special guy just came into our lives. His name is Moonshine and he's 14 weeks old. What do you guys think? Dutchie?
Image

We did get him from our local shelter and there was not very much information about him other than "he's a shepherd" and he was an owner surrender though they could not tell us why the owner had decided to give him up. Being with him I cannot fathom why someone would not want to be with him... he's such an AMAZING pup!
At any rate, that's just a little of his background. Looking forward to getting to know you guys and reading some of the treads.
Carol and Clan
boicetrous
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Carol. I am a mom to 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 and 3 "fur babies" ages 12, 9, and 14 weeks. All of our dogs are rescues. My oldest two are lab mixes and our newest addition, we are discovering, is a dutch shepherd (probably a mix but we have no way of knowing). Because the breed is new to me I'm seeking as much information as possible and the more I find out about them the more excited I get.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years. He is a Marine and will be retiring soon. We plan on presuming the family business and farming.
Other things I enjoy besides my family are being outdoors, swimming, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. I also love to read.

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by boicetrous »

Trying this photo thing again....
Image
Last edited by boicetrous on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carol and Clan
boicetrous
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Carol. I am a mom to 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 and 3 "fur babies" ages 12, 9, and 14 weeks. All of our dogs are rescues. My oldest two are lab mixes and our newest addition, we are discovering, is a dutch shepherd (probably a mix but we have no way of knowing). Because the breed is new to me I'm seeking as much information as possible and the more I find out about them the more excited I get.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years. He is a Marine and will be retiring soon. We plan on presuming the family business and farming.
Other things I enjoy besides my family are being outdoors, swimming, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. I also love to read.

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by boicetrous »

Image
Carol and Clan
boicetrous
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Carol. I am a mom to 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 and 3 "fur babies" ages 12, 9, and 14 weeks. All of our dogs are rescues. My oldest two are lab mixes and our newest addition, we are discovering, is a dutch shepherd (probably a mix but we have no way of knowing). Because the breed is new to me I'm seeking as much information as possible and the more I find out about them the more excited I get.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years. He is a Marine and will be retiring soon. We plan on presuming the family business and farming.
Other things I enjoy besides my family are being outdoors, swimming, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. I also love to read.

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by boicetrous »

So, I'm doing pretty badly at adding an image despite reading the help thread. Can you tell I'm new to forums?
I'm trying this one as an attachement. Hoping that works because I really want to share a pic of Moonshine :)
Attachments
moonshine - Copy.jpg
moonshine - Copy.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
Carol and Clan
User avatar
DanLu5
Puppy
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a long time dog enthusiast but first time Dutch Shepherd owner. Logan is a KNPV bred Dutch Shepherd and great grandson of the great Arko Kikkert. He's by far the most demanding dog I've ever had but also by far the most rewarding.
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by DanLu5 »

Wow he's super cute. What an amazing dog! Welcome!
DND & Lohgs, ON
User avatar
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.
Location: Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome. What a beautiful boy!
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by Stacy_R »

welcome!! what a cutie!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by Raven »

Hey, Carol...

Previous owners loss is certainly your gain. Thanks for taking in that cute pup.

There's a section for folks to post questions and pictures when they're curious if their dog might be a DS or have some DS in them. I know the photo posting takes some time getting used to, but posting pictures in that section with full front, standing full side, etc. is optimal. Take a peek in that section and see what you can do.

And welcome!
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
boicetrous
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Carol. I am a mom to 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 and 3 "fur babies" ages 12, 9, and 14 weeks. All of our dogs are rescues. My oldest two are lab mixes and our newest addition, we are discovering, is a dutch shepherd (probably a mix but we have no way of knowing). Because the breed is new to me I'm seeking as much information as possible and the more I find out about them the more excited I get.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years. He is a Marine and will be retiring soon. We plan on presuming the family business and farming.
Other things I enjoy besides my family are being outdoors, swimming, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. I also love to read.

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by boicetrous »

Oh thanks so much for the info! I totally am going to go hunt for that section!
I'm absolutely smitten with Moonshine. I've worked with dogs since I was a little girl and his quick wit, energy, and love-ability just surpasses any other dog I've ever worked with. I'm amazed daily at how quickly he learns. I have PTSD and suffer from really bad night terrors. In the short period of time we've had him he has learned to recognize when one is beginning, alerts my husband, and then proceeds to come on to the bed and lays on my chest. It helps me come around, control my breaking, and keeps me from panicking. In fact, I have been able to reduce the amount of anxiety medication I take in the morning which is awesome.
I'm working with a local trainer now and we are working with him on assistance task and the trainer is quite positive he will pass the required assessments for him to become a certified working dog.
It's just mind blowing how it all came together! Talk about meant to be!
Carol and Clan
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by Raven »

How awesome is that?!!! Great story. Great pup. And so many great things ahead for all of you. :love:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by johninny »

interesting - so great. a wise puppy who is probably worth listening to. you are both lucky to have found each other.

my first DS had a similar impact with me and my autism. he was so aware and did extraordinary things - allowing me to live a more normal life for the 12 years he was with me.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
boicetrous
Just Whelped
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:46 pm
Tell us about yourself: My name is Carol. I am a mom to 2 daughters ages 3 and 8 and 3 "fur babies" ages 12, 9, and 14 weeks. All of our dogs are rescues. My oldest two are lab mixes and our newest addition, we are discovering, is a dutch shepherd (probably a mix but we have no way of knowing). Because the breed is new to me I'm seeking as much information as possible and the more I find out about them the more excited I get.
My husband and I have been married for 10 years. He is a Marine and will be retiring soon. We plan on presuming the family business and farming.
Other things I enjoy besides my family are being outdoors, swimming, hiking, fishing, hunting, etc. I also love to read.

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by boicetrous »

John, that's so great! Both of my daughters have autism as well. My oldest daughter who is 8 has been having some difficulties at school and Moonshine and I have been meeting her at the bus stop in the afternoons. Most days this week she has been crying as soon as she walks off the bus (general frustrations) and walking home with him really helps calm her. Next week we are meeting with the supervisor of her applied behavioral analysis therapy to see how we can incorporate Moonshine into some of the new programs she's going to be starting. It's really exciting stuff!
Carol and Clan
johninny
Working Dog
Posts: 1326
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 am
Tell us about yourself: DS and Mal foster newly approved aug'12 by NADSR and ABMCR. high-functioning Autistic in nyc/hamptons in my 60's. Rescued the smartest dog i had ever seen off nyc street in 2000. Tracedog's intelligence exceeded by multiples my judgement that day. My first [and only as of 10/2012] dog turned out to be a DS, perhaps with a touch of something else, but attention to detail, behavioral traits, and physical habits, movement, and skill identical to DS. But MUCH more intellectual ability. supremely confident in all settings, fearless, very outgoing and social with people and friendly with dogs. Seldom apart in over 12 years, Trace Dog was the most important relationship of my adult life; he was my partner. He died july17,2012. i am dying without him. www.youtube.com/tracesobaka www.dogster.com/dogs/637612
Location: NH/hamptons/nyc

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by johninny »

it sounds like Moonshine may have at lest 2 full-time jobs - at night with you and in waking hours with your daughter[s]. that should keep him satisfied and proud.

please let me know how things develop between your daughter and Moonshine.
my dog was with me 24 hours a day pretty much regardless of circumstances - restaurants, doctors and other professionals, concerts, etc., and, lucky for me, he quickly figured out my needs and shortcomings and filled in for me or guided me as appropriate. seems like an impossible dream now. but Moonshine's attention to your needs at night is a wildly positive start to your relationship.
John & DS rscus TRACE DOG,99-12; fstr7yoCain,8-9/12; Xander(3/12)11/12-2/13; SAKIMA (b.4/12)from11/12; TxXANDER (b.2/13)from5/13; direct from CherCar: TRACER (b.5/4/13). http://www.youtube.com/sakimadoggy http://www.youtube.com/tracesobaka
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Post by Stacy_R »

Carol -
Where in NC are you?
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Post Reply