New Minnesota Dutchess

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
User avatar
WangoTango
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 2:55 am
Tell us about yourself: I was blessed to pick a day just to stop by the local shelter. Here was this beautiful brindle girl. I had never heard of the DS breed. The shelter didn't even know about her breed as well. I loved her personality. After getting home, my wife googled German Shepard brindle and here we learned of her breed.

New Minnesota Dutchess

Post by WangoTango »

We have been looking for a smart, medium sized, short haired, tough, and loving dog for a couple years. One day last July, on a total whim. I mentioned to my wife that we had time while running errands to stop at the local shelter to check out the dogs. They told us that we couldn't see the dogs because it was their "walk a dog day" . Just then, a young couple came in with this medium sized brindle beauty. I asked them first if she was their dog. They said "NO, I wish our apartment would allow pets because she would be ours" I asked everyone there what breed she was. A brindle boxer, smaller German Shepard mix was their best guess. They had just rescued her from a kill shelter 4 days prior. We decided she was perfect and filled out the application. When we were home, we goggled brindle German Shepard and low and behold......We have a pure bred Dutch Shepard!! We named her Tango and feel blessed to have such sweet dog.
Attachments
small pic    .jpg
small pic .jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
User avatar
racingiron1
Green Dog
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hilde is a rescue that we suspect is at least partially Dutch Shepherd.
Location: Chattanooga, TN, USA

Re: New Minnesota Dutchess

Post by racingiron1 »

Welcome and thanks for rescuing! :wtg:
She's a cutie. Her story is not unlike our Hilde's.
Eric, Elizabeth, & Hilde
User avatar
centrop67
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:42 pm
Tell us about yourself: Owned by Hondo and Mustang - two MAD rescue dogs.
Location: Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Re: New Minnesota Dutchess

Post by centrop67 »

Welcome! Awesome on the rescue. :wtg:
WangoTango wrote:We have been looking for a smart, medium sized, short haired, tough, and loving dog for a couple years.


These dogs are all of these and more:

Smart: sometimes too smart for their own good

Medium sized: ---> can get large 70-80lbs solid defined muscle

Short haired: yep, but there's long haired versions that can be quite stunning

Tough: no doubt.

Loving: Can you say "big lap dog" that will smother you with kisses and won't take no for an answer?

Don't want to scare you away, but...

I hope you get a chance to read through much of this forum to see just what you're in for. It might be time to get an account at the local liquor store.

:pint: :pint: :pint:
Michael
Location - Cutler Bay, FL USA
Image RIP: Leela, Radar, Tequila, and Snickers
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers
User avatar
WangoTango
Just Whelped
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun May 11, 2014 2:55 am
Tell us about yourself: I was blessed to pick a day just to stop by the local shelter. Here was this beautiful brindle girl. I had never heard of the DS breed. The shelter didn't even know about her breed as well. I loved her personality. After getting home, my wife googled German Shepard brindle and here we learned of her breed.

Re: New Minnesota Dutchess

Post by WangoTango »

That is funny. We've had her since July and we have gone through 2 phone chargers, two pair of shoes, a USB cable, the LAN cable, a couple sticks of butter, and two days of mail. We also now have a kennel and the expenses have been dramatically reduced. The energy level was a lot higher than expected but we have learned what we need to do to use up that energy. She loves the treadmill, walks, and thank goodness for tennis balls!!! and she is truly a 48lb lap dog with a lot of love to give.
Who ever had her first, did work with her. She knew certain commands the first time I used them. "leave it", "stop", sit, lay down, and kennel. We feel very lucky to have her in our family.
User avatar
Stacy_R
Training Dog
Posts: 879
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 am
Tell us about yourself: 3 dogs and graying hair thanks primarily to Tyson...
Location: Carolinas

Re: New Minnesota Dutchess

Post by Stacy_R »

Great story!!! Welcome to the forum and Tyson says thank you for rescuing!!
~Stacy
Mom to:
Tyson - DS mix (Hendrix's Soul Sibling and Dinga Roo's long lost twin)
Baby Ruth - Miniature Schnauzer
Snickers - Miniature Pinscher
http://www.rescuedme.org
Post Reply