Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

For our new members to introduce themselves
Post Reply
falcara
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, I am an Irish Wolfhound owner, breeder, exhibitor and judge located in the southern USA. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and enjoy herding. I've always admire the Dutch Shepherd's work ethic and looks especially the rough coats. I'd like to learn more about the breed and their herding capabilities. THANKS!

Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by falcara »

Hello all!

I was very happy to find this forum for Dutch Shepherd fanciers. I've been researching rough coats as they certainly intrigue me! My family owned, bred & exhibited Irish Wolfhounds - a breed with a double, wiry coat - since the mid 1960s and I judge them as well. The rough DS is so appealing and the Dutch Shepherd work ethic is admirable. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and have discovered herding! We train several times a month and my young dog is coming along very well earning two herding titles recently.

I would appreciate any suggestions for more rough coat information i.e. history, temperament, herding capability, etc.

Many thanks and I'm glad to connect with DS people.

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, Tennessee USA "At the Gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park"


"Falcarragh Irish Wolfhounds, est. 1965"
Breeders of BIS IWs and Group & Specialty Winning Bull Terriers
Proud Owners of Belgian Laekenois, Wandrlyn Roguish Reeler CGC HRD I-s HTAD I-s
User avatar
vneerland
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm
Tell us about yourself: *
Location: Tex@s

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by vneerland »

Welcome Diane,
What a wonderful place to live (smoky mountains) I am mildly jealous.
To be honest, there is little specific rough hair knowledge on this board, but we do have some members who know someone who may know someone. :lol: Hang in there, I am sure we can connect you with the sources that you are looking for.
ImageJudith Van Neerland Dutch Shepherds Image
GSDNanny
Training Dog
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:13 pm
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are my life, what can I say. GSDs primarily for nearly 50 years til bringing in my first DutchShep about 4 years ago. GSD rescue for 9 yrs, nearly 200 thru my home, rehabbed, adopted out. Been involved in AKC ob, herding, tracking, agility; Schutzhund-DVG; scent detection (HR-water)&narcotics, some patrol work. Mostly herding training at present on my little farm.

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by GSDNanny »

Welcome Diane! You will find that the participants on this forum are some of the most knowledgeable concerning Dutch Shepherds. They are always helpful and supportive. I hope your quest for your own DS intrigues you to join us here.

Yes, the Smokies are indeed beautiful!

Denise Gatlin & Zip, Shooter & the K9 crew

Livin' in the deep south - Louisiana
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Welcome! The rough coated DS are defiantly interesting, Post some pictures of your babies!
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Raven »

Warm greetings to you and your little lump of Sugar. Love the "frog legs" she still has in the photo you posted in another section.

While someone may be mildly jealous of where you live, I am wildly jealous. I go to your area every few years for work (in the fall, no less!) and can never get enough of the beauty and the hospitality. Going there again in November...you'll know me as the Yank waving when I get there. :lol:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
Raven
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1608
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:19 am
Tell us about yourself: .

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Raven »

Apologies, Diane. You didn't post the picture to which I referred.... :oops:
Though I can only hope to become the person who my animals believe I am, the things that they have taught me have made me a better human being. ~~~Sharon~~~
leih merigian
Working Dog
Posts: 1960
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:20 pm
Tell us about yourself: Had a GSD, am getting a DS puppy in a few weeks. Compete in agility, obedience, and cross train in tons of stuff. Found out about this site from the DS Rescue yahoo list.

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by leih merigian »

Welcome, Diane!

Can't help you a whit regarding your specific interest, but glad you found us, and hope someone comes along who can give you the info you're seeking :wtg:
leih merigian
Vrijheid's H'Geyser
Zodiac vom Younghaus (over the bridge)
Central VA (near Charlottesville)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood...
User avatar
Marjolein
Working Dog
Posts: 2078
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:17 pm
Tell us about yourself: I'm a Dutchie myself ;-) but live in Germany with Johan and my two DS's Cobber-Dingo and Knivil (Dingo and Ivil to friends...)
Location: Warbeyen, Germany
Contact:

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Marjolein »

Welcome, I'll try and send some wire-haired lovers to this topic :dswink"
Image
falcara
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, I am an Irish Wolfhound owner, breeder, exhibitor and judge located in the southern USA. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and enjoy herding. I've always admire the Dutch Shepherd's work ethic and looks especially the rough coats. I'd like to learn more about the breed and their herding capabilities. THANKS!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by falcara »

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your responses.

Three questions that keep popping up in my head about roughs are 1) How do roughs occur i.e. do both parents have to be roughs to produce rough puppies? 2) Are there any rough owners out there that train and trial in herding? and 3) Are there any temperament differences within coat types? All basic stuff, but inquiring minds want to know. Also if there are definitive breed books out there I should own, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, TN
User avatar
Beechtree
Just Whelped
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:07 pm
Tell us about yourself: I currently own a LH-DS dog in the USA, and would like to network with other DS owners

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Beechtree »

falcara wrote:Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your responses.

Three questions that keep popping up in my head about roughs are 1) How do roughs occur i.e. do both parents have to be roughs to produce rough puppies? 2) Are there any rough owners out there that train and trial in herding? and 3) Are there any temperament differences within coat types? All basic stuff, but inquiring minds want to know. Also if there are definitive breed books out there I should own, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, TN
Hello Diane,
I just happened to sign-in this evening after working on a blog for a new organization. It is the Dutch Shepherd Club of North America, aka DSCNA. We are a group of folks here in the States that own FCI registered imports or their progeny encompassing all three coat varieties of the Hollandse Herder. The blog is still in the building stage but it already has some really great photos of the 3 coat types, the FCI breed standard, and we have links to USA owners/ breeders of all 3 types, as well as to Dutch Shepherd breed clubs in other countries.
You can find it at: http://www.dscna.blogspot.com.
The offical website is also in the works but not 'live' yet.
I know of a Longhaired litter that is due near the end of this month down your way in North Carolina, and also plans for two USA RoughHaired litters this summer as well. We also have a facebook page that has over 100 'friends' from across the globe who are very knowledgeable about the Hollandse Herders and the 3 types. Seach for that under the fb heading of 'Long Haired Dutch Shepherd' . I know it says longhaired, but we have 'friends' that own all 3 types.

I too was a 'Belgian' owner for many years, and when I was looking for a new companion dog, I decided to go with the DS aka HH . I am delighted with my year old Longhaired bitch 'Raven' and my new import 'Ceska'. I also have sheep, but I am clueless on where to begin to train the 'girls' for herding, a corn can works great for my sheep. :-)
User avatar
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5692
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:05 pm
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2
Location: Ct, USA

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Dutchringgirl »

falcara wrote:Thanks everyone for your warm welcome!!!! I appreciate your responses.

Three questions that keep popping up in my head about roughs are 1) How do roughs occur i.e. do both parents have to be roughs to produce rough puppies? 2) Are there any rough owners out there that train and trial in herding? and 3) Are there any temperament differences within coat types? All basic stuff, but inquiring minds want to know. Also if there are definitive breed books out there I should own, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Diane Koontz Bresee
Walland, TN
I would imagine if you used too much sand paper while grooming, that would create the rough coat. I buff Thalie daily with some nice Maguires....... Oh wait,,, dog hair?? :dsshock: :dsshock:

sorry , just had to throw that in
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
falcara
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, I am an Irish Wolfhound owner, breeder, exhibitor and judge located in the southern USA. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and enjoy herding. I've always admire the Dutch Shepherd's work ethic and looks especially the rough coats. I'd like to learn more about the breed and their herding capabilities. THANKS!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by falcara »

Wow! Many thanks Brenda. The blogspot link is such a great resource. I will refer to it and check the Facebook page often. You all have been so responsive and I appreciate it!!!! I also visited your website and saw your gorgeous sheep. We are getting 5 school sheep shortly to hone our (mainly mine as I am a perpetual novice) herding skills. We regularly train with Nancy Obermark in Olive Branch, MS (greater Memphis area).

And Lisa, you're too much! You brightened my day.

Diane Koontz Bresee in (snowy) East TN
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Christie M »

Diane,

We have a wire haired that trains with our protection club. They are wonderful people in the Knoxville area. If you drive all the way from East TN to Memphis then you probably go right by me in Cookeville. I would love to meet up. I have only short haired dogs, but they are lovable!!!
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
falcara
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, I am an Irish Wolfhound owner, breeder, exhibitor and judge located in the southern USA. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and enjoy herding. I've always admire the Dutch Shepherd's work ethic and looks especially the rough coats. I'd like to learn more about the breed and their herding capabilities. THANKS!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by falcara »

Hi Christie!

I pass by Cookeville regularly. Small world if a wire haired DS lives around Knoxville! I'm about 16 miles south of Knoxville. I'd love to meet your dogs sometime in the future!!!!

BTW there will be a Nancy Obermark Herding Workshop at our place May 7 & 8th if anyone is interested in training. I will post the contact info on this forum under the herding heading later.

Thanks Christie! It was great to hear from a TN DS owner!

Diane Bresee
Walland, TN
User avatar
cake73
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 331
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm
Tell us about yourself: I live in Metro-West Boston with my husband and our rescued Dutch Shepherd, Minnie. She loves anything involving activity. Our first rescued DS, Kaya, loved to tug. Our second rescued DS (who actually turned out to be a GSDx), Marley, loved to nap. I volunteer for the North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue and am a member of the NADSR BOD.
Contact:

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by cake73 »

There are a couple of folks with rough-haired DS that submit photos for consideration in the NADSR calendar.
Carol Day submitted photos of a litter for the 2011 calendar (http://www.ruff-daykennels.blogspot.com/).
Anita Arnold of Ranchodutchie (http://ranchodutchie.com/home) has also submitted photos. They're in PA.

Not sure this is helpful info.
Cheryl in MA, with rescued DS
Kaya, adopted January 2006 (over the bridge, September 2014)
Marley, adopted February 2008
Minnie, adopted March 2015


North American Dutch Shepherd Rescue
https://www.facebook.com/NADSR.DSRescue
falcara
Just Whelped
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:56 pm
Tell us about yourself: Hello, I am an Irish Wolfhound owner, breeder, exhibitor and judge located in the southern USA. I am a new Belgian Laekenois owner and enjoy herding. I've always admire the Dutch Shepherd's work ethic and looks especially the rough coats. I'd like to learn more about the breed and their herding capabilities. THANKS!

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by falcara »

Thanks Cheryl! Yes, this it's very helpful info. The more I see, the more I learn. I appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Diane Bresee
Walland, TN
User avatar
Christie M
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1279
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm
Tell us about yourself: Love my striped beasts.

Re: Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains USA

Post by Christie M »

cake73 wrote:There are a couple of folks with rough-haired DS that submit photos for consideration in the NADSR calendar.
Carol Day submitted photos of a litter for the 2011 calendar (http://www.ruff-daykennels.blogspot.com/).
Anita Arnold of Ranchodutchie (http://ranchodutchie.com/home) has also submitted photos. They're in PA.

Not sure this is helpful info.
Actually, Carol is the breeder of the dog in our club :D
Christie Meyer
http://www.northwoodsk9.com
http://www.dutchshepherdrescue.org
http://www.thunderhawkcanine.com

Be proud of the things that you have taught your dog. Be humbled and grateful for all of the things that your dog has taught you. - Unknown
Post Reply