Non DS Question

Your home for general discussion. Don't know where to post? Try here first.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Non DS Question

Post by ladyjubilee »

So we have Peanuts, who is now at least 19. He has always been, well, ornery. He's street smart. He had been returned to the shelter 5 times before we got him, one of the times by an experienced foster family. The other older dogs pretty much just ignored his obnoxious behavior. But more and more frequently, he marking territory...and not his territory but Bramble's. Bramble sleeps in my son's room (where Peanuts is not allowed to go) and has a soft sided crate. Peanuts keeps sneaking in and marking the crate and the bookcase the crate is beside.

I'm stumped on how to stop him. Like I said he's street smart. He watches to see when the humans are distracted then sneaks back there. I can't close the room off because closed doors bother my son. Peanuts doesn't do this elsewhere....just around her crate. BTW he took over her basket and has now claimed his and hers.

Any suggestions, especially given his age. Oh and he's part Jack Russell terrier, part beagle mix.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Re: Non DS Question

Post by Dutchringgirl »

he is old, it could be dementia
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

It would figure the onery little guy would get more onery.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

I haven't seen any other signs of dementia. He does have some vision and hearing loss, though. He has snapped at Bramble when she entered a dark room, as is startled. He has always considered himself dominant dog. At first Bramble yielded to him, now she does what the others did, which is ignore his obnoxious displays.
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

It may not show up like it does in humans
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

We've been keeping an extra eye on him this week, watching for the signs in the article. Dementia could well be the issue. Plus he is winding down a bit. He has good days where he plays with Bram, but then after a good day needs to sleep 2 days to reenergize.

He's the last of our geriatric pack, so seeing the decline is bit sad. Of course he could still outlast us all.
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

I think its just territorial marking. If not doing any where Else.

Buy dog fence, put it on the door, proplem solved, no closed Doors just small see through fence. Great helper really.

He is doing that secrecy so knows its not okay. Rarely demented dogs do that.

I have seen territorial marking occur, and that goes there. Buy a port there, and see what happens. U could also put a peepad for puppies on the floor Else where so u can see if he goes there or not. It just can be that he cannot hold it In anymore, and that a place with secrecy To go.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

You may be right, Susannah. I can't really do the gate, as my son wouldn't understand. But we have been more mindful of where he is at all times. We've been able to stop him going to the room and have been pretty successful. We also make sure to have him go out more.