For our new members to introduce themselves
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is steven, I live in New York. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd/belgian mal mix. His name is koba. Hes a spitfire.

Post by KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL »

Hii everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd named koba. Hes also my first dutchie, so I'm kind of learning the hard way with him. I researched this breed for years but never realized it would be this tough. It's a learning curve but I love him and wouldnt have it any other way. For all the seasoned vets with this breed. I would love your wisdom. Thankyou
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: My name is steven, I live in New York. I have an 11 month old dutch shepherd/belgian mal mix. His name is koba. Hes a spitfire.

Re: New Member

KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped

Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

Welcome to the forum, mines now 15 months old and is getting a little easier. Jay
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped

Thankyou! Soo it does get easier.??
Jay knowles
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: New owners,also own a English Bull Terrier

Post by Jay knowles »

She’s still hard work but far easier than when she was a year old. I think by 2 she should have matured into a well behaved dog that is confident in her self. Jay
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm not experienced but after 8 months of training, we are seeing a positive turn. The ecollar has been an amazing help. She's worth it ;)

Koba is a cutie.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
KOBA_THE_DUTCH-MAL
Just Whelped

Thankyou!! Yeaa I like the e collar too. Hes just stubborn at times
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Post by Tim91118 »

If you can get your dog in a down stay it has got to be easier
Tim
Laplaiefier
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: Dogs are a good reflection of their owners?
LOL I must be hardheaded and stubborn.
I guess before and after results with dogs tend to show the effort put into them.

Post by Laplaiefier »

Is it just me or is heeling a sissy's thing for them?

Good to see ya here at the DS forum.
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I've pondered this for a while. We have worked on a looser heel with Bramble than what most people use. Mainly she doesn't have to keep her eyes up on me all the time. If she did, she wouldn't be able to alert when needed. However, I don't see a true heel as unneeded. We do a very close appropriation, where she stays aligned with my knee, just that she can also work while she is in position. I see the heel as functional.

It addresses her dog reactivity, but also seems to keep her focused on the task of obedience. We have not negotiated crowds yet, but I suspect it will help in that area too. Heeling also seems to be a foundation step to more impressive behaviors.

But then I don't really see my sweet little wiggle worm as all that "butch" of a dog....which is why it is so shocking when she reacts to other dogs. If I thought she was a tough dog, she wouldn't be allowed to sleep alone with my child or be trained for service.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
cocoman280
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: .

Post by cocoman280 »