Destroying

Puppies! We all love our puppies.
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Destroying

Post by Susannah »

Hello. So my ds puppy is 3 months old, and.

- i go out, he urinates, and shits at the front door
-rips pillows, from the desk. I really dunno how cause its high but yes, one bunnyland when i came home. I was 20 min away, before, we were outside, he was tired.

I left 2 bones and treats before left.

So, what can i do, crating is illegal here, he was also fine before so teething? I just afraid what if he takes couch and chokes or something?

So what i do, puppy is very, very hyper, but good traits so easy train with toy. Treats wont work.

When wroting this, i went To cigarette and heard noises.
He tooked internet modem and throwing it all over.

This is very New, he was fine while back but now this started and it is getting worse, he takes all forbidden things when i am In toilet even. Yeah, i knew i get handful but i get the feel he is something Else, soo hardheaded, even u comman very straight he just likes the play.

So tell me, what can i do? And no e collars, Cage, all is illigal here.

So what have i tried:

Making him tired
Calming exersize
Bones, good chewing
Peepads all over
Everything, i really mean, Everything out. My place is like hotel room, without carpet
When he takes forbidden item i denied, and gave toy

And really, peepads? No he shits where he wants, peepads are only To bury ur toys.

One day i was Making his food, he started barking. I ignore ofcourse. But after i went To sofa, he comes, straight To leg, draws blood from bite.

Oh, i just love To hear ur puppystories, i feel like i am living with a demon. 😅

All my ds are always been adults, so, this is first of.

I have raise working gsd and lapland reindeer dog from puppy, but yeah, working gsd was so destructive so i had To make fences. She ate my leather sofa In one hour, completely. Age 9 weeks.

Lapland reindeer dog never did anything, only, he howled.
And its normal cause they use voice To herd reindeer.

But really, what can i do, plz help me. I really dont want her To continue this, die for it etc..

So i feel like i have done it all, and next really is that i have To buy ports, or so so he cant get To table or sofa. But i feel its the last option really, cause all my dogs are been fine adult, no destroying. Ds also, 2 of them, both were fine always freeroaming.

So, is this really just a phase?
Tim91118
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Enjoying my Dutch Shepherd and my Malinois

Re: Destroying

Post by Tim91118 »

First off if you insist you cannot crate, then isolate the pup in the safest smallest room in the house and put up everything when you are gone. This might be the bathroom. Have a nice personalized bed for him there. Maybe a crate with the door open that he can feel safe in and sleep.Put up everything he can get his mouth up if you put him in the bathroom including paper, towels,shower curtain etc. I would not give him treats and bones that will make him need to go. If you are home, keep him on a leash and do not give him free roam of the house. Watch him closer and correct when he wants to pull objects down. You have to be on top of things.
Last edited by Tim91118 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

Also employ a neighbor or friend to come over and let him out while you are gone. Pups are needy.
Tim
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

I'm so sorry it's not going well. I can definitely relate, though Bramble isn't really destructive.

I got great advice here to check out Leerburg and to keep Bramble leashed to me until she was ready to be trusted roaming free. It really helped, though she wasn't a pup when I got her.

I think the bathroom idea is good. But...we had a lab/boxer mix who was a Houdini. He got out of everything. We tried the bathroom idea once.....and when we got home he met us at the door. He had gone Through the door. (BTW he also learned to open doors.)

Are any methods of confinement legal?
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
Susannah
Puppy
Tell us about yourself: 29 year old nurse. 2 year old dutch shepherd at home and iguana.

Post by Susannah »

Oh yeah, i tried that, leesh on with me at home, really, puppy fights like maniac.

And wont stop. Really, he is fine, sleeping at night he wont do anything.

And with me on room no, not anything bad really, ok, couple socks etc.

But when i go etc bathroom it starts, he goes through tables, Everything, rips of pillows, eats doorways.

And yeah, i had been thinking if this is start of the separation anxioty, cause he does all very bad when im not around

Legal confidement here.. Is like at least big room for dog. And i cannot do that, my apartment is poorly designed for dog so only room is bedroom and i bet he takes destroying there.

We were on the vet one day, cause he was choking. So i really need help, for that not happen again.

After 3 days, he shits object i think he Aten outside, i have nothing like that here so really, what.

And bathroom is so nono, he rips waterpipes there so, no.
Attachments
IMG-20190915-WA0000.jpeg
IMG-20190915-WA0000.jpeg (788.23 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

I am sorry you are going through this. This breed needs a home that they can be outside in a yard to play and train. An apartment is not really suitable for them. They destruct because they are high drive dogs and need a job and guidance and with out that, this is what they do. He is attached to you, you are his human so when you are not around he does not have any guidance so he will do it himself.

ignoring his behavior is not the proper thing to do, with any dog, if he is barking, he is telling you something. When someone talks to you , do you ignore them? No , you listen to what they have to say. Dogs are not different. when they talk, you listen.

He is 3 months old and this is going to get worse as he comes into his own and really becomes the protection dog they are meant to be.
Lisa, Thalie CGC & Sadie, Cookie the Basset, CT
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Post by ladyjubilee »

Susannah,

I wanted to check in and see how things are going. Any improvement?

I've been trying to think of some practical advice that fits your situation. I don't have any real answers, but did notice the poo problem.

You mentioned peepads that the puppy isn't really using. My initial thought was to wonder if the timing for going out was matching when he has to poo. Pee accidents I kind of get, but not so much the poo. How long after eating is he being taken out on the leash to poo? I'm fortunate that I have a big backyard that is fenced that Bramble can use. But I had to teach her to use it. For a week each time she ate, I gave her 30 minutes (she was young but not full puppy when I got her) before we went out on leash. We didn't walk, other to the poo spot, or play. I didn't respond to any interaction attempts until she pooped THEN she got a treat and play. It took her a week. Now she takes care of things on her own, and prefers a bit of privacy to do it (aka she waits till no one is looking).

It just seems that if poo is happening inside, the timing may be a bit off from eating to going out.

With that I wondered about the pads. First, is the goal for the puppy to keep using the pad or is the pad a tool for training? I'll be honest, I've only really used pee pads in the case of one of my Dals with neurologic damage related incontinence. We basic put pads everywhere she liked to lay because as she aged she could no longer control her functions. That said, if puppy is using the pads to hide toys, it seems puppy has not made the connection between pee and pad (or was taken from mom too soon and didn't learn to keep the bed clean.) Has he appropriately used the pad? If not, ugh this is so gross, and I don't want to use an euphemism given the language difference, have you put some pee or poo on a pad so that the pup can smell the purpose?

I'm really sorry to hear about the vet visit, and I so don't know what that picture is :) I know it must be very stressful. Since you can't confine, how are you managing the 24/7 eyes on?
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Tell us about yourself: I am a mom of 6 life forces - 2 kids and 3 dogs 1 hamster. I live in Ct. I have trained Ringsport and Agility and have 2 DS, one 15 and 7 and a Basset Hound Cookie who is 2

Post by Dutchringgirl »

pee pads dont work, they just encourage peeing in the house. You must take them out every 15 minutes for them to go and then slowly increase it as they can hold it.
ImageImage
ladyjubilee
Training Dog

Post by ladyjubilee »

Wow every 15 minutes....this is why I like older dogs ;)
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

More like every 10 minutes....lol
Tim
Dutchringgirl
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Dutchringgirl »

Do I hear 5???
ImageImage
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

How’s this pup doing Susannah ?
Tim
Diang
Just Whelped
Tell us about yourself: Living in Greece.Owner of a male FCI registered DS

Post by Diang »

My boy has plucked out an electrical socket in my atempt to live him free in the house while i am sleeping. I got your six
Susannah
Puppy

Post by Susannah »

Well, he is quite nice now.

Was In the care and peed over caretaker. I see this bad

Otherwise, good, no pee In house or so. But i just love To her what u think. Pup pees over caretaker, and pees sofa when me and my friend sat there

Otherwise he is so good, smart, calm, social.

But he has habit To mark, and really, i bought dog bed he goes pee In there and lays down. Really, on the pee?

So what is this
Susannah
Puppy

Post by Susannah »

This he

And we live In like storagehouse, sorry my english, many floors and people.

He loves people, no pees In da house, i still would not trust him if friends dog comes by.

I am Lucky To have such pup, i go sleep, he comes and sleep, not waking me.

But i really am concern about marking. Should i neutralize him? I really think it would help?
Attachments
IMG_20191103_234224.jpg
IMG_20191103_234224.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 8970 times
Tim91118
Training Dog

Post by Tim91118 »

What did you do when you saw him pee in the bed and then lay in it ?
Tim
Mark77
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Own a Mal and a Dutchie.

Post by Mark77 »

This is the funniest post I've read on here. I'd give anything to start over again with Riddick. He went through that stage. He used to flip our throw rugs over when we left him alone to long.