Looking for new crate

Found a great canine related product? Give it a review - good, bad, or meh
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Looking for new crate

Post by TimL_168 »

Hey guys! I'm going to get a new crate and in trying to decide between the Gunner and the Impact. Any suggestions? My only concern about the impact is that my GF's new dog is a chewer and already destroyed her wire crate. I'll be working on getting her happy with being created, but I'm still concerned.
Any advice would be awesome!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor
ladyjubilee
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Sharing life with Bramble Dutch Shepherd mix (?) and Casper Whippet/Pit Bull (????) mix

Re: Looking for new crate

Post by ladyjubilee »

We use a soft sided crate which is easy to carry with luggage when we travel......so, don't really have any advice.
Pack: Peanuts-terrier mix, 16-18 years old, Bramble-Dutch Shepherd, 3 yrs
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

I’ve seen both first hand. If you’re going to be doing any kind of traveling I would go with the gunner as it’s safety rating is unmatched. A safety test on the impacts was done and they’re essentially a glorified wire crate in a crash test. That being said both are really nice as stationary kennels. Impacts plus side of the collapsible model only, is that it can be collapsed and tucked away when not in use. I’d go with gunner tho. And they’re like half the price of an impact.
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
borellar15
Training Dog
Tell us about yourself: Living in Austin, Texas with our dogs Zoey(DS), Henry (DS) and Tripper(labX). In college, I worked as a Handler and Assistant Manager of a training and daycare facility for 3 years where I've handled many working dogs. For the past 2 years I have been training Zoey and Henry and we have made some tremendous progress together.

Post by borellar15 »

Having said all of that I opted for the even cheaper option for inside the house and got a ruff tuff. Roto moldes like the gunners but less bulky and only 200-300 vs 600
Image Image
Alex - Zoey(DS), Henry (DS), Tripper Lab mix. Austin, Texas
TimL_168
Working Dog
Tell us about yourself: I am: a father of 2 boys, a carpenter, hunter, runner. We have extensive experience with sled dogs, shepherd mixes, a wolf hybrid, and our current dog a 95# long haired Shiloh Shepherd. We added Endeavor in April 2016. She was not working out in HRD. I train for game recovery and general utility.

Post by TimL_168 »

borellar15 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:31 pm Having said all of that I opted for the even cheaper option for inside the house and got a ruff tuff. Roto moldes like the gunners but less bulky and only 200-300 vs 600
I posted the same question on a couple of the working DS FB pages and actually came up with some really good suggestions that I wouldn't have found on my own too easily. Dakota Kennels and KBC kennels look okey good. The Dakota Kennels looks good for travel, similar to the Gunner. The KBC looks like an Impact, but made of what looks to be ½" polyethylene with a solid hinge and latch system!
Tim L.
Aurora(Shiloh) Endeavor